Help! New Build Problem

Pharmaecopia

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Hi guys, I just finished building my first system in about 5 years. I am having great difficulty with getting windows 7 to work. I keep getting:

[cpp]Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a remoavable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred
[/cpp]

And if I continue forward and enter the Windows 7 install, as soon as it "collects information" I get:

[cpp]A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.
[/cpp]

I have an Asus z68 pro/gen3, 2500k, 7870, seasonic x750, spinpoint f3 1tb, and samsung 830 in a HAF 932. I have tried everything that I could imagine to try to get this to work. Could it be my optical disk drive or hard drive that's failing, or do I have a faulty windows ultimate DVD? I burnt the disc about 1.5 years ago. Any help would be appreciated, thank you all so much.

(PS: I already flashed my mobo BIOS to the latest update and I have no post system beeps)

Pharmaecopia

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007

I only have the Samsung 830 plugged in.

its giving an i/o error so it must be one of the drives (either hard disk or optical), a cabling issue, or the motherboard itself.

It shouldn't be cabling. I have the PSU SATA power cord feeding both the HDD and SSD and then a seperate SATA power cable going to the Optical Disk Drive. All three are connected to the "peripheral" part of my PSU. Then a SATA data cable is going from each of those to the 6 gb/s SATA slot on the mobo.

I can't figure out what the hell is going on :(

Pharmaecopia

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007

Thank you so much man! You're a lifesaver. I finally got windows 7 up and running. So it must be my DVD drive, huh?