Sign in with
Your question

[New System] Advice is all I'm looking for

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2012 10:38:02 AM

Been reading a ton in here, and gaining a lot of sweet info :) 
So to top it all off i figured i would do a nice post here and hopefully gather a bit more information..!

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next few days

Budget Range: pricing should be around the parts I already gathered (Stuff in DK is more expensive then US, so giving a number here would be wrong)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming 90% of the time ;) 

Parts Not Required: Got everything else needed.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Danish page , proshop.dk , but feel free to give links to newegg or w/e.

Parts Preferences: Don’t care, as long as it works im cool :) 

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit

Noctua NH-D14

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

Found the following parts, although I really don’t know if it’s the right motherboard for me. Considering I don’t plan to have SLI at all. I've been looking a bit at the extreme4 motherboard to save a few bucks. But any other suggestions is always welcome.
The last build i had, i did not OC much, although my plan is to do it with this one :) 

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
(If there is some typo's , deal with it !)

//Munk

More about : system advice

a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 3:59:39 PM

hello munken,

it is my understanding the 3rd gen intel processors (ivy bridge) do not overclock as well as the 2nd gen processors. does overclocking really have that much benefit with the built in turbo boost? Back in the day I overclocked my Pentium 166 to 233 and later my PIII-300 to 450Mhz but I dont overclock anymore as the performance boost seems negligible
May 6, 2012 10:28:55 PM

nhasian said:
hello munken,

it is my understanding the 3rd gen intel processors (ivy bridge) do not overclock as well as the 2nd gen processors. does overclocking really have that much benefit with the built in turbo boost? Back in the day I overclocked my Pentium 166 to 233 and later my PIII-300 to 450Mhz but I dont overclock anymore as the performance boost seems negligible

According to all the reviews i've read, yes you benefit from it.
If you can keep the heat under control.
a 4.8ghz i5 ivy is preforming around the same as a i7 ivy none OC, so def. worth overclocking.

Still looking for feedback if anyone out there got a comment or 2. thanks
!