Programs That Open on Windows Startup

baby

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

I am running Widows XP Home Edition. When I logon I have many programs that
open automatically. This slows down the time it takes to get on my computer.
I would like to set these to open when I want them to, rather that
automatically when it starts up. I have looked everywhere I can in Help, and
cannot find how to do it. Any suggestions?

Click Start, Run, and type in msconfig

You can then look in the startup tab.

"baby" <baby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Widows XP Home Edition. When I logon I have many programs
>that
> open automatically. This slows down the time it takes to get on my
> computer.
> I would like to set these to open when I want them to, rather that
> automatically when it starts up. I have looked everywhere I can in Help,
> and
> cannot find how to do it. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Most of these programs have a options somewhere within themselves where you can disable them from
being loaded at startup. If that is not the case, you can disable them via msconfig. Click on
Start/Run and enter MSCONFIG. Flip to the startup tab and uncheck the ones you do not want to load
at startup.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"baby" <baby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Widows XP Home Edition. When I logon I have many programs that
> open automatically. This slows down the time it takes to get on my computer.
> I would like to set these to open when I want them to, rather that
> automatically when it starts up. I have looked everywhere I can in Help, and
> cannot find how to do it. Any suggestions?

See #12 on this link for what is running as well as how to determine what is
needed:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"baby" <baby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Widows XP Home Edition. When I logon I have many programs
>that
> open automatically. This slows down the time it takes to get on my
> computer.
> I would like to set these to open when I want them to, rather that
> automatically when it starts up. I have looked everywhere I can in Help,
> and
> cannot find how to do it. Any suggestions?

baby

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

I can see where you are talking about, but when rebooting my computer I get
the following message:
You have used the system configuration utility to make changes to the way
windows starts.
The system configuration utility is currently in diagnostic or selective
startup mode, causing this message to be displayed & the utility to run
everytime windows starts.
Choose the normal startup mode on the general tab to start windows normally
& undo the changes you made using the system configuration utility.

Then I am give the option to check the box saying Don't show this message or
launch the system configuration when windows start.

Is this normal? Should I check the box and move on? Will this operate
normally?

"RonK" wrote:

> Click Start, Run, and type in msconfig
>
> You can then look in the startup tab.
>
> "baby" <baby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running Widows XP Home Edition. When I logon I have many programs
> >that
> > open automatically. This slows down the time it takes to get on my
> > computer.
> > I would like to set these to open when I want them to, rather that
> > automatically when it starts up. I have looked everywhere I can in Help,
> > and
> > cannot find how to do it. Any suggestions?

MSConfig add itself to startup to show you the message. Tick the box and it will remove itself.

http://www.uscricket.com