Photo Printer Recommendation Needed

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 1, 2005 10:49:03 AM

I have about $200 to spend at Best Buys. I am looking for a photo
printer. I have three main purposes:

1. Use as a regular (text) printer. Doesn't have to be super, just
good. But, more important are...
2. Print the usual 4 x 6 photos from time-to-time.
3. Use to print what will essentially be proofs to determine what needs
to be done before taking it to a lab to be printed better or larger (16
x 20 or so - I am using a 5MP camera).

If need be, I can use my current ink jet for text, but desktop real
estate is a problem, so I prefer to go with one printer. I doubt I will
ever print directly from a memory card or onto CDs.

Some questions: What is more important, printer resolution or drop
size? Or something else?

What's my best bet?

TIA.
July 1, 2005 6:57:15 PM

First of all, if you only want to occasionally print 4x6 it is not cost
effective to print your own.
The Canon's are fast and have reasonable ink costs for an inkjet.
However if you become serious about color photo printing you will never come
to believe reasonable quality printing is possible if you only have
experience with Canon printers, Canon printer driver protocols for color
managment, should you pursue this,are seriously deficient across the Canon
line such that even with calibration devices it is not easy to print
consistently with any Canon printer. I only have my personal experience with
Canon printers calibrated using external colorimeters to lead me to this
conclusion.
Look into Epsons for better driver software.
Even HP is better than Canon in this regard.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 7:06:43 PM

Take a look at the Canon iP4000 and iP5000 printers.
Two paper feeds/types, fast, quiet, economical.
I have the iP5000 and the print quality is excellent.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDe...

Guy

"Alan" <fake_address2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have about $200 to spend at Best Buys. I am looking for a photo
> printer. I have three main purposes:
>
> 1. Use as a regular (text) printer. Doesn't have to be super, just
> good. But, more important are...
> 2. Print the usual 4 x 6 photos from time-to-time.
> 3. Use to print what will essentially be proofs to determine what needs
> to be done before taking it to a lab to be printed better or larger (16
> x 20 or so - I am using a 5MP camera).
>
> If need be, I can use my current ink jet for text, but desktop real
> estate is a problem, so I prefer to go with one printer. I doubt I will
> ever print directly from a memory card or onto CDs.
>
> Some questions: What is more important, printer resolution or drop
> size? Or something else?
>
> What's my best bet?
>
> TIA.

July 3, 2005 4:11:43 AM

"Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Take a look at the Canon iP4000 and iP5000 printers.
> Two paper feeds/types, fast, quiet, economical.
> I have the iP5000 and the print quality is excellent.

Thanks Bigguy. I went with the iP4000. So far, I am amazed. Quality is
excellent, and the printer is fast. I am having a problem with then included
EasyPhotoPrint software. Got any experience with it. It won't strt- just
gives an error. I posted it in a new thread.

Thanks agin, the printer is fantastic.
!