Your question

Mount Water Cooling System on Mobo

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Water Cooling
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
August 21, 2012 12:21:25 PM

I have this motherboard: ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD. I am in a dilemma trying to install water cooling closed loop simple system but there are no holes in my mobo to install a backplate. The system is a Antec 920 (similar to corsair h50) 120mm fan... radiator. What do I need to do?

More about : mount water cooling system mobo

August 21, 2012 12:31:13 PM

you have to take the original back plate off, and then install the back plate that came with your water cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2012 12:32:12 PM

I havent installed one of these on the AM3 sockets, but just from the picture of the mobo you can tell that you need to remov the CPU HSF mounting screws - these are the ones that allow you to put the necessary back plate and front retaining mechanism in place.

there are decent enough instructions on the manufacturers website
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 1:32:38 PM

Thank you for the fast reply guys. This is my first AMD build and I'm a little hesitant to pry the backplate off with a screw driver so what would be the best tool to use for removal?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2012 2:57:24 PM

Woah! The metal backplate on the motherboard should not come off. Any backplate which is part of your existing cooler will come away when you remove it...if it doesn't, it's integral to the motherboard.

The backplate for the Kuhler 620 will line up with the holes around the CPU socket, which will be the same ones used for the cooler you currently use. The backplate you have for the Kuhler 620 should fit on the motherboard with the existing metal backplate in place.
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 21, 2012 4:05:26 PM

+1, use the backplate thats already mounted if you cannot easily remove it,
I did the exact same thing on my AsRock Deluxe 5 with my XsPc block,
Moto
m
l