Sign in with
Your question

Dell XPS 8500 (~1000€) PC advise needed (AMD HD 7570/7770)

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2012 12:04:04 PM

Hello guys,

So I decided to buy a new PC and I'm liking the Desktops from Dell.
Now the main reason I'm buying a new PC is because of Diablo III.
As many other this is the game I've been waiting for, for a long long time :) 

At the moment I only have a crappy laptop so I will need the PC.
Apart from Diablo III I might as well play SW TOR, WoW and maybe some new PC games since I will be able to.

At the dell site (Irish version as I live in Ireland) I was looking at the XPS 8500 bundles and a possible Alienware x51.

I would like to keep the pc itself (except accessories such as a monitor and speakers etc) under the 1000€ preferable, with an extra buffer of around 200€.

I decided I would like to have at least an intel i7 processor, so that ruled a few bunldes out already.
The bundles I'm looking at all have the ''3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)'' processor, which seems to be pretty good to me.

Most of the bundles 'only' have ''8GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz''.
The ones with 12GB or 16GB are a lot deerer, so I will stick with the 8GB ram and exchange it for 16GB myself, since that would be a better and cheaper option imo.

The HDD is not to the biggest importance to me as most have at least 1TB which suites my needs for now.
What I do find interesting is a SSD. Is it recommendable to get a (32GB) SSD to at least run Windows on it?
And if so, am I correct in thinking it's probably (a lot) cheaper to buy a 32GB SSD seperately and 'build it in' later?

The optical drive is neither to great importance to me as a DVD drive is enough (and cheap). I can always switch to a Bluray one in the future, if 'business' demands it ^^

Then of course one of the most important things; the Video Card!

So there are the next to options available for the bundles I am looking at:

AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ HD 7770 2GB DDR5 Graphics Card

I tried to investigate these cards a little bit, but to be honest, I couldn't really find a lot on these.
Is it necessary to get a 2GB (or maybe even 3GB) card or will a 1GB card do just fine?
(Again, it will be mostly to play games as D3, WoW & SWTOR and possibly some other games like a shooter perhaps).

Are they any good at all, or is it 'better' to get the HD7570 one (the cheapest) and then upgrade it myself to a better one (suggestions?)

Although I like the looks I have my doubts about the The Alienware x51 system then:
This bundle comes down to just over 1000€ and has the following (important) stats:

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4C)
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555
8GB Ram (1333mhz).

Maybe this question should've actually been asked in the beginning; but is the Dell XPS 8500 recommendable at all?
I do have some good experiences with my former dell PC (although it's around 8 years ago).
Or might it be better to start looking for something else?

Thanks for any advice, as it will be much appreciated :) 
May 6, 2012 12:39:22 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Well, first of all if you're going for a prebuilt machine i would recommend the Alienware as it has unlocked BIOS and allow for overclocking, overclocking allows you to get the most out of your CPU and increases its performance to cope up with the high end GPU and not feel a bottleneck.

Second, the cards you mentioned are a mid range cards, if you have a low resolution monitor it will be just good for it but if you're gaming @ 1080P or above you might consider at least HD 7870 or above.

32 GB SSD is very small size, it will just let you install the Win and some little applications, you need to consider 128 GB SSD to install windows and some games & applications, then pick whatever for the storage.

So the Alienware looks the best option for you, the i7 2600 is a beast but try to configure it to have the i7 2600k (unlocked multiplier).

Difference between Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is not noticeable, so i don't recommend the XPS 8500.
May 6, 2012 1:35:16 PM

Thanks for that Ilysaml,

So the XPS 8500 basically is a no go.

Unfortunately the Alienware is not selectable in the i7 2600k version, but only in the i7 2600.
Would it then still be recommandable?

How about the ''1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555'' included with this Alienware? Quessing that also has to be replaced then for something better :) 

I did see the Alienware Aurora but that's just going way way over budget, so not really relevant actually to bring up hehe.

Related resources
May 6, 2012 1:37:28 PM

Or maybe think about (completely) building a new PC?
May 6, 2012 1:51:05 PM

Go with building. 7750/7770 for 1000€? With that budget you could get a really solid build with a high end graphics card.
May 6, 2012 3:07:49 PM

Hmm, I do like the idea of building a PC myself, but I also fear it hehe!
Plus I do not have a clue about what to choose then.
Checking the forum about it already, but it's still kind of like 'hmmm will this be doable for me', but I do like the challenge!
Most challenging would be to select the items needed.

Anyone who could give me some help on composing a nice system (with all the things needed for a home build PC at http://www.dabs.ie?
May 6, 2012 3:43:34 PM

keimps said:
Hmm, I do like the idea of building a PC myself, but I also fear it hehe!
Plus I do not have a clue about what to choose then.
Checking the forum about it already, but it's still kind of like 'hmmm will this be doable for me', but I do like the challenge!
Most challenging would be to select the items needed.

Anyone who could give me some help on composing a nice system (with all the things needed for a home build PC at http://www.dabs.ie?

CPU, MOBO, RAM bundle : http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-performance-bund...
GPU: http://www.dabs.ie/products/sapphire-technology-ati-rad...
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU cooler & Case couldn't find them @ your site, that's how they look in newegg, see if you can get it.

The core i5 2500K is the same as the i7 2600K in gaming performance. If you do a heavy render work and graphics design the 2600K the the way to go.
!