6ms bad for gaming for this 24inch IPS?

ibiza21

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hello,

I'm shopping around for a monitor, and I've had a tough time finding a 16:9 ips monitor 24 inch monitor (most of them are 16:10, which i don't want because I'd have black bars on the top and bottom while playing Starcraft 2).

I found this one:
http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA246Q/#overview

The only thing I'm worried about is that it's 6ms - is this a bad response time for gaming?

Also open to any other 24 inch 16:9 ratio IPS monitor suggestions (good luck finding them).

Thanks!

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I even game on an 8ms monitor and don't notice a difference. I DO notice a difference, however, sometimes when I'm watching video.

Is IPS recommended for gaming? I thought I heard traditional LCD is better, but I don't know why.

ibiza21

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Does anyone have a dual monitor setup with 1 IPS monitor and 1 TN monitor? That way I could try gaming on each and see which one works better, and use the other one for browsing.

kidkoryo

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Old thread, new guy here.

I've had the Asus PA246Q for a year now. Great monitor for anything by the way, but I'm sure you know that.

I guess it depends on what game you play.

I play (a LOT) of Dota 2, Starcraft 2, and obviously the gameplay is slower than shooters. That said, I've never seen ghosting on any of the games I play, and I play about 30 hours a week.

Over the year, I've gotten so used to the rich colors on the monitors that when I try to play on my tiny laptop monitor, the colors seem bland and faded, and I end up doing worse in-game until I adjust to the shitty TN panel.

I've also played some COD, CS 1.6 (sigh), Crysis2, and I gotta say, this monitor is better than any TN panel I've used for FPS. Any refresh rate difference between TN and this Asus is so miniscule, you shouldn't think twice about that ***.

This IPS monitor gives you the best bang for the buck. I did my research before spending my hard earned cash.

Just get it, if you haven't already. I'm thinking about picking up a second one for a matching dual screen setup.