$1600 Mini ITX Gaming Build

logan77

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I am looking for a portable gaming PC that has a bit more power than a Laptop. I would like to use the Lian Li PC-Q08 Case. I picked this case because of the Front USB 3.0, Blue LED Fan, Large HDD bay, and the ability to install a water Cooling radiator.

Here are my minium system requirments:

16GB of RAM
1TB HDD
60GB SSD
Liquid Cooling
Intel CPU - at least i5 (2nd or 3rd GEN), asus mobo if 3rd Gen CPU is used.

Here are my preferances:
Asus or ASRock Motherboard
Corsair Memory
DVD Drive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you can accomadate my needs into this budget. If not, Just say so. Also, I prefer to shop a Tigerdirect.CA OR newegg.CA

Thanks in advance,
Logan77

darkbubble

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Oh I'm sorry here http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27142948. I couldn't fit a monitor into your budget. Maybe you could play around with these parts to fit whatever else you need. Happy building :)

I am using a Q08 case, and am considering upgrading it for gaming.
Here are some thoughts:

1) You can put any graphics card you want in it, it is plenty long enough.

2) If you have a long psu, it will impact the hard drive cage. A SSD is no issue. A hard drive can be mounted to replace a DVD if you can do without a dvd.
Otherwise, You might find it better to use a 2.5" drive for the bulk storage, Or, better yet, a larger SSD. Intel has a 180gb SSD(330 series) that is reasonable.

3) Liquid cooling might seem to make sense, but where to put the radiator will be a problem. A liquid cooler wants to use an intake fan space to draw in cold air for cpu cooling. Unfortunatesly, that reduces the cool air available fot the graphics card which needs it more. The normal airflow if the 140mm intake fan is plenty for even a hot graphics card and a moderately oc'ed sandy bridge cpu. The AXP140 downdraft air cooler seems to be the best you can get for the case. I think it should be adequate.
There is not a lot of room for a tall cooler.
Really, so what if things get a bit hot?

4) Look for a shortish modular psu. Do not count on any added cooling from the psu. It is built to protect itself.

5) I suggest you get the case first, so you can measure things and decide how you will go about it.

6) There are some good forums which have lots of pics using the Q08. Research them.

7) I think I would use a 2500K which does not need great cooling for a modest OC. If you will use a lesser cpu with no OC, then ivy bridge would be better.

8) Check out the red color, it is stunning.

---good luck---

TRENDING THREADS