Backwards Compatability

steven

Is anyone realistically interested in this, is it just me that couldnt care
less. I know people would maybe still want to play Halo 2 online untill Halo
3 is released but all the next gen releases, i think these existing games
will be forgotten very quickly.

I agree with MS when they said that, alot of people never look back at the
old games.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"steven" <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone realistically interested in this, is it just me that couldnt
> care less. I know people would maybe still want to play Halo 2 online
> untill Halo 3 is released but all the next gen releases, i think these
> existing games will be forgotten very quickly.
>
> I agree with MS when they said that, alot of people never look back at the
> old games.

Absolutely agree, couldn't give a toss mate, who wants to play old tat

steven <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote:
> Is anyone realistically interested in this, is it just me that couldnt care
> less. I know people would maybe still want to play Halo 2 online untill Halo
> 3 is released but all the next gen releases, i think these existing games
> will be forgotten very quickly.

> I agree with MS when they said that, alot of people never look back at the
> old games.

This is my take on BC:

Early on in the life of a console, it can be an important feature. BC
allows new-comers to the XBox brand to enjoy the older titles as well as
the newer ones. Considering that the older titles will often be available
at lower prices (Platinum Hits or used titles) this can be appealing to
people may be interested in buying the new hardware, but may not have the
extra bucks to buy 2 or 3 new games to go along with it. Also, when you
look at game lineups, at launch you may have one or two good games
available, but then there'll be a veritable drought of 6-12 months until
you start seeing more titles that are any good. In the meantime, what do
you do? Buy a bunch of expensive and mediocre titles? On the other hand,
BC allows you to get some use out of your new hardware without having to
wait for the newer titles to come out.

If you already own a Xbox, BC can still be advantageous to you because you
can simply swap out your XBox for the 360, and continue playing your older
games along with the newer ones. This will save you space in your AV
setup - and more importantly - save on AV connections. (even switches
only have so many ports on them...)

Why play older games? Cheaper to buy, online play, just want to replay
for the story (mainly RPGs).

Realistically though, after 6 to 12 months, most people probably won't
look back at the older games anymore.

However, from a purely marketing point of view, Microsoft NOT having a
strong BC strategy will be used by Sony to point out why the XBox360 is
inferior to the PS3. I can't tell you how many times I've seen companies
implement a feature just so they can litterally have a check mark on the
spec. sheet. That's it. Some customer wouldn't buy the thing without
that checkmark - even though they never use that feature! (Case in point
- SMNP.)

>> I agree with MS when they said that, alot of people never look back at
>> the old games.
>
> Absolutely agree, couldn't give a toss mate, who wants to play old tat

I think it is a big selling point for people who did not buy an xbox 1,
since
there are undoubtedly some xbox games they have heard of an want to
play.

I do agree, however, that supporting only the "popular" games is sufficient.

emolsen <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote:

> I think it is a big selling point for people who did not buy an xbox 1,
> since
> there are undoubtedly some xbox games they have heard of an want to
> play.

Exactly. If XBox360 supported true backwards compatibility, I wouldn't
have bought an Xbox, but waited to buy XBox360.

> I do agree, however, that supporting only the "popular" games is sufficient.

I don't know. Define "popular". Do they mean only the Platinum titles?
What if that doesn't include one or two titles you still like to play?
Are you willing to keep your Xbox -AND- Xbox360 plugged into your AV
center?

steven wrote:
> Is anyone realistically interested in this, is it just me that
> couldnt care less. I know people would maybe still want to play Halo
> 2 online untill Halo 3 is released but all the next gen releases, i
> think these existing games will be forgotten very quickly.
>
> I agree with MS when they said that, alot of people never look back
> at the old games.

Hmm, let me see... my current xbox is dying out on me, and there are
literally hundreds of games (not to mention the 40 that I own) on the Xbox
that I haven't played yet... Hmm should I buy another Xbox for a $150 that
only plays current system games, or buy the xbox 360 for $300 and play games
that are available on both systems? Hmm, that is a difficult question…

It doesn't matter to me. So far, I have not heard of any way to
transfer saves from the Xbox's HDD to the Xbox360.
For example, if I decide to play Ghost Recon on the 360, I am not going
to complete all the missions again to have all the weapons and modes
unlocked.
I would rather use my Xbox, since I have one.
For people who did not buy an Xbox, it could be a big selling point.
Then again, they would have bought an Xbox if the games interested them
in the first place.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> If you already own a Xbox, BC can still be advantageous to you because you
> can simply swap out your XBox for the 360, and continue playing your older
> games along with the newer ones.

No, you can't. There problem is that you can't transfer your saved
games or information from your xbox hard drive to the 360. So you would
have to START OVER with every game in you're collection--no game saves,
no unlocked items, no unlocked levels, no picking up where you left
off.

-Eric

Jordan

If the entire Xbox library wasn't enough to convince them then there's
no way they'll be an Xbox 360 early adopter. If they wanted to play
Xbox games then they should already have an Xbox.

- Jordan

In article <1120055567.079035.140890@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
elrous0@pop.uky.edu says...
> Doug Jacobs wrote:
> > If you already own a Xbox, BC can still be advantageous to you because you
> > can simply swap out your XBox for the 360, and continue playing your older
> > games along with the newer ones.
>
> No, you can't. There problem is that you can't transfer your saved
> games or information from your xbox hard drive to the 360. So you would
> have to START OVER with every game in you're collection--no game saves,
> no unlocked items, no unlocked levels, no picking up where you left
> off.

This is a very good point. Many will not have thought about this
problem.

John Black

John Black <jblack@texas.net> wrote:

> This is a very good point. Many will not have thought about this
> problem.

Including Microsoft... Unless you can somehow transfer the saves onto the
Xbox memory card (yes, I know most of the saves are too big, and the 360
doesn't seem to support XBox memory cards anyways.)

Green Shampoo <GReen_shampoo@webtv.net> wrote:

> For people who did not buy an Xbox, it could be a big selling point.
> Then again, they would have bought an Xbox if the games interested them
> in the first place.

Let's assume that the Xbox360 will be completely backwards compatible with
the XBox. Why would you buy an Xbox now, only to have to buy a 360 in
another 6 months or even 12 months? Might as well wait, buy a 360 on
release day, along with a bunch of XBox titles. At least, that was my
plan originally...

Of course, there's no telling how well the 360 will play Xbox games, so
you really are better off buying an XBox now, and then waiting for the 360
to come out with enough games to justify buying it. However, since I
already have an Xbox, I no longer feel the burning need to rush out and
buy a 360. I suspect it'll be 2007 before I buy my first next-gen
console.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:30:23 -0000, Doug Jacobs
<djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

>John Black <jblack@texas.net> wrote:
>
>> This is a very good point. Many will not have thought about this
>> problem.
>
>Including Microsoft... Unless you can somehow transfer the saves onto the
>Xbox memory card (yes, I know most of the saves are too big, and the 360
>doesn't seem to support XBox memory cards anyways.)

From my experiences, almost all XBox saves will fit on a memory card.
Of course, there is a limit to how many will fit at once. However,
several games disable the copy feature. Offhand I know that Burnout 3
disables it as does Ninja Gaiden.

What I think might be overlooked is the possibility of using XBox Live
to accomplish this. Microsoft could add could to the XBox dashboard to
send saves to its servers and add code to the 360 to retrieve those
saves. Of course, those without broadband access might be SOL.

Mark

Rich

I am very interested in the whole issue surrounding backward compatibility
on Xbox360.. But at the end of the day I'll probably just keep my existing
Xbox for playing old games and buy a 360 for next gen stuff like Dead or
Alive 4, Kameo and Top Spin 2.

Sorry, but Halo 3 just doesn't interest me in the slightest as I don't rate
the Halo series.

And no, I am not dumb or retarded so don't even start... Mmkay?!

"steven" <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone realistically interested in this, is it just me that couldnt
> care less. I know people would maybe still want to play Halo 2 online
> untill Halo 3 is released but all the next gen releases, i think these
> existing games will be forgotten very quickly.
>
> I agree with MS when they said that, alot of people never look back at the
> old games.

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

steven wrote:

> Is anyone realistically interested in this, is it just me that couldnt care
> less. I know people would maybe still want to play Halo 2 online untill Halo
> 3 is released but all the next gen releases, i think these existing games
> will be forgotten very quickly.
>
> I agree with MS when they said that, alot of people never look back at the
> old games.

When the gang gets together for a link party, we play the games that
every one has a copy of (what else?). So with out BC the selection would
be rather limited for some time to come. Seams like everyone in the
crew will get a 360 not too long after it's release. The bigger the
release library the better AFAIC. Go you good thing! :)

steven, I have a fairly large collection of X-Box games, and still want
to be able to play them. I want to clear space out, so being able to
move the XBox to get the 360 helps. I can be able to trade it in, and
be able to also get new XBox games while waiting for good 360 stuff to
come out.

- Richard Hutnik