Networking Windows 7 with XP NO INTERNET

redsjava

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have no problem networking the two operating systems and sharing folders and printers (use work not home on win7). BUT, the minute I open network and/or network sharing on the windows 7 computer I lose my internet connection on THE WIN 7 computer and have to go through a shut down of the w7 computer and unplug the cable modem and the router and restart everything. (The modem displays an internet connection.)

Any suggestions?

modem time warner aries
router Belkin G F5D7234 4V1 firm Ware UPDATED

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

You can check the issue that you have for your Belkin router not getting connected to the Internet. You could check if it is a configuration issue or a Internet Service Provider issues. If you have a configuration issue, you would need to configure your belkin router. IF you are not connected to the Internet or if you have any issues with your ISP, you can contact your ISP to get the issues fixed.

redsjava

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

The Belkin router does not lose the internet connection Win 7 does.

G

I'm sorry that I've opened another thread without having read this...

I think i have a similar problem but only when I activate the "Internet Conection Sharing" (or however is its name now) in Windows 7...

Any idea of how build the old XP "Home Network" but with a mix of machines runnig Win XP and Win 7?

redsjava

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I'm sorry that I've opened another thread without having read this...

I think i have a similar problem but only when I activate the "Internet Conection Sharing" (or however is its name now) in Windows 7...

Any idea of how build the old XP "Home Network" but with a mix of machines runnig Win XP and Win 7?

Sounds like the same problem. If you find a solution let me know. I will do like wise

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Are you connected via wireless?

When it happens again go to eventlog for me please and look for the following events
(The logs are under Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System)

Look for the Source of BROWSER. That will be the first of the three events. The other two events will be the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control, followed by The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service has been stopped.

The next events may vary depending upon how your computer is set up, but will include one indicating that the TCP/IP NetBIOS has successfully started.

Look for me if you see those one after another in the log