USers don't have own desktop?

Hi, I'm wondering something. I have to admin accounts on my machine. One for
me and one for my girlfriend. It seems that anything that I install on my
login, copies over to her desktop. I'm not worried about her being able to
access the programs, but they fill up her desktop with shortcuts.

Is there a way to allow each user to have thier own desktop settings?
6 answers Last reply
More about users desktop

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:07:02 -0800, Axlman wrote:

    > Hi, I'm wondering something. I have to admin accounts on my machine. One for
    > me and one for my girlfriend. It seems that anything that I install on my
    > login, copies over to her desktop. I'm not worried about her being able to
    > access the programs, but they fill up her desktop with shortcuts.
    >
    > Is there a way to allow each user to have thier own desktop settings?

    The programs that are showing up on her desktop as well are adding their
    shortcuts to the All Users folders. If you want them on your desktop only,
    copy the shortcuts to your folder (..\Documents and Settings\<your
    account>\Desktop and then delete them from All Users\Desktop.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank you all for your time, support and replies!

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:07:02 -0800, Axlman wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I'm wondering something. I have to admin accounts on my machine. One for
    > > me and one for my girlfriend. It seems that anything that I install on my
    > > login, copies over to her desktop. I'm not worried about her being able to
    > > access the programs, but they fill up her desktop with shortcuts.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to allow each user to have thier own desktop settings?
    >
    > The programs that are showing up on her desktop as well are adding their
    > shortcuts to the All Users folders. If you want them on your desktop only,
    > copy the shortcuts to your folder (..\Documents and Settings\<your
    > account>\Desktop and then delete them from All Users\Desktop.
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi,

    The desktop shortcuts unique to a user are stored at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Desktop

    The desktop shortcuts that are available to all users are stored at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

    So if you dont want a particular shortcut to show up on your girlfriend's desktop, remove the
    shortcut from
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop and put under your desktop.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Axlman" <Axlman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm wondering something. I have to admin accounts on my machine. One for
    > me and one for my girlfriend. It seems that anything that I install on my
    > login, copies over to her desktop. I'm not worried about her being able to
    > access the programs, but they fill up her desktop with shortcuts.
    >
    > Is there a way to allow each user to have thier own desktop settings?

    Thanks for that info. So when installing programs, is there a way to set the
    install or something so that the shortcuts only go to my desktop?

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The desktop shortcuts unique to a user are stored at:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Desktop
    >
    > The desktop shortcuts that are available to all users are stored at:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    >
    > So if you dont want a particular shortcut to show up on your girlfriend's desktop, remove the
    > shortcut from
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop and put under your desktop.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Axlman" <Axlman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I'm wondering something. I have to admin accounts on my machine. One for
    > > me and one for my girlfriend. It seems that anything that I install on my
    > > login, copies over to her desktop. I'm not worried about her being able to
    > > access the programs, but they fill up her desktop with shortcuts.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to allow each user to have thier own desktop settings?

    Unfortunately no. If the program was designed for Windows XP, it will ask you if you want to install
    the program for everyone or just yourself during the installation. Else, it would not ask you and
    install it for everyone.

    --

    > Thanks for that info. So when installing programs, is there a way to set the
    > install or something so that the shortcuts only go to my desktop?
    >
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The desktop shortcuts unique to a user are stored at:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Desktop
    >>
    >> The desktop shortcuts that are available to all users are stored at:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    >>
    >> So if you dont want a particular shortcut to show up on your girlfriend's desktop, remove the
    >> shortcut from
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop and put under your desktop.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Axlman" <Axlman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I'm wondering something. I have to admin accounts on my machine. One for
    >> > me and one for my girlfriend. It seems that anything that I install on my
    >> > login, copies over to her desktop. I'm not worried about her being able to
    >> > access the programs, but they fill up her desktop with shortcuts.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to allow each user to have thier own desktop settings?

    That's what admins do, install software for everybody.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Axlman" <Axlman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F62037B-8A7F-40AF-81AD-5701456E006B@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for that info. So when installing programs, is there a way to set the
    > install or something so that the shortcuts only go to my desktop?
    >
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The desktop shortcuts unique to a user are stored at:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Desktop
    >>
    >> The desktop shortcuts that are available to all users are stored at:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    >>
    >> So if you dont want a particular shortcut to show up on your girlfriend's desktop, remove the
    >> shortcut from
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop and put under your desktop.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Axlman" <Axlman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I'm wondering something. I have to admin accounts on my machine. One for
    >> > me and one for my girlfriend. It seems that anything that I install on my
    >> > login, copies over to her desktop. I'm not worried about her being able to
    >> > access the programs, but they fill up her desktop with shortcuts.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to allow each user to have thier own desktop settings?

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP