PC Powers up randomly/PSU Recomendation

I recently moved everything into a new case and the only thing I changed was the CPU cooler, I went from a stock AMD cooler to a Cooler Master V8.

This is what has happened the last two mornings and only in the morning.

I shut the PC down or put it to sleep every night.
I turn it on the morning, the lights on the fans flash, they spin for a few seconds it all turns off. LEDs on the motherboard stay on.
I will then unplug the power supply and wait a few seconds and try again.
I keep doing this and it makes it further and further until it posts. Sometimes it will make it all the way, sometimes it will shut back down. Eventually it will make it all the way and it will stay on all day. I even ran some stress tests for 5 hours yesterday, it never turned off.

This morning it failed to start completely, the MB lights are on, but at most the fans light up for a second and it all goes back off. Resetting the CMOS doesn't help.

Nothing is overclocked, everything is stock.

AMD Phenom II x4 940
GSKILL DDR2 800 2x2GB
GTX 260
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe
Antec TruePower II 550w
WD Caviar Black 750gb
8 answers Last reply
More about powers randomly recomendation
  1. I would recheck your wireing carerfully to make sure that you have everything pluged in where it's supposed to be. Sometimes even the simplest thing can go unnoticed and in this case it sounds strange that if everything was connected then why the trouble starting up. Have you updated the bios lately?
  2. nodbugger said:

Antec TruePower II 550w

Not a very good psu to begin with, how old is it ?
  3. delluser1 said:
    Not a very good psu to begin with, how old is it ?

I'd have to say around 4 or more years. Everything I can test on it shows up fine (manually testing wires), I can't test current though, but even with the bare minimum plugged in it does the same thing.

This was my first thought, but it just never made much sense why it would eventually start up. It was like it needed to warm up before it would stay on.

Anonymous said:
    I would recheck your wireing carerfully to make sure that you have everything pluged in where it's supposed to be. Sometimes even the simplest thing can go unnoticed and in this case it sounds strange that if everything was connected then why the trouble starting up. Have you updated the bios lately?

I've gone over everything at least 10 times. I don't remember the last time I updated the bios, but I'm pretty sure I have the latest one. But right now it isn't making it far enough to check.
  4. if you manage to get it booted again you should do a bios update. It could be PSU power up problem as well though and maybe the power supply wasn't working correctly until it had warmed up a little?

Have you got any spare PSU's you could try?

Also try removing the ram and booting with just one stick in the first slot (try both of them)... although you said it works perfectly after you managed to get a full boot so it is unlikely.

Most likely problems in my opinion are the PSU, Motherboard and Bios.

one note "Instability caused by the bios during loading are no longer present after you load windows"
  5. I noticed you said you had the latest bios. did you have this problem even before you updated the bios?
  6. mikes1992 said:
    if you manage to get it booted again you should do a bios update. It could be PSU power up problem as well though and maybe the power supply wasn't working correctly until it had warmed up a little?

Right, it would take 10 or more tries to start-up and each time it would get further. It would post at least 2 times and made it to the Windows load screen before powering off again. So I don't think it is a bios issue.

Quote:
    Have you got any spare PSU's you could try?

No, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade it anyway.

Quote:
    Also try removing the ram and booting with just one stick in the first slot (try both of them)... although you said it works perfectly after you managed to get a full boot so it is unlikely.

Most likely problems in my opinion are the PSU, Motherboard and Bios.

I have had intermittent problems with it not posting, but nothing that happened all the time, maybe once week.

Quote:
    one note "Instability caused by the bios during loading are no longer present after you load windows"
    Correct, if it gets to the desktop and everything loads, it stays on.

mikes1992 said:
    I noticed you said you had the latest bios. did you have this problem even before you updated the bios?

I think I do, I haven't heard of a bios update in a while, but I can't get it to even make it to the bios screen to find out, which makes me think it is the PSU.
  7. Looking at a new PSU, the SeaSonic x650 or the Corsair AX650 both seem to be good. Any thoughts?

Or even this HX750
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

Same price as the AX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139035
  8. I would go with the Seasonic because they seem to be rated as the best and many of the other psu brands do also because they have Seasonic make the psu for them. Corsair , XFX to name a few although not all of the Corsair models are made by Seasoic , but I do like to go with a company that just makes one thing .
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product