Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 Gtx 560 Ti's in SLI good for Battlefield 3 Ultra?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2012 10:58:22 PM

I am still choosing the components for my first gaming PC build (mid-late summer). I have been told that my best bang-for-buck GPU solution is dual GeForce GTX 560 Tis in SLI. I was just wondering if these will smoothly handle Ultra settings 4xAA (I don't really know what this setting means) on Battlefield 3, and max settings on near future games.

Since I won't be building until after Kepler is supposed to be released (and Ivy Bridge), I will certainly look into those as well, and I also will be looking at Radeon cards.

I'm also still new at this. I know a little, but this is, like I said, my first build, so I don't have really any experience except from research. I just want a kick ass pc for around $1600-1800 (flexible).

Other components:

Case- HAF 932
CPU- i5 2500K (i5 3570K, if appealing)
Mobo- Asus P8Z68 Pro (or better IB board)
RAM- 8GB
PSU- Corsair 850W 80+ gold

Thanks so much in advance, and thank you to the forum community! You guys are so helpful!
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2012 11:39:09 PM

You should start again after IB and Kepler if you're really not going to be building until then. Some changes will certainly be made.
560 Tis will run BF3 on Ultra with AA. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
Anti-aliasing is an umbrella term for a variety of techniques that attempt to hide the jagged edges that would result from any diagonal line's being displayed on a screen with the relatively large pixels that all current monitors have. There are various types, but most take a significant amount of graphics processing and so make fairly large dents in performance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_aliasing

Though I won't talk actual parts until closer to your build date (when will it be?), I recommend going with a single powerful graphics card over two, even when the two are a better value. SLI/Xfire is an easy and economical upgrade, certainly more so than buying an entirely GPU and throwing out your other one(s), and you shouldn't close it off to yourself from the beginning.
m
l
March 1, 2012 11:42:57 PM

kajabla said:
You should start again after IB and Kepler if you're really not going to be building until then. Some changes will certainly be made.
560 Tis will run BF3 on Ultra with AA. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
Anti-aliasing is an umbrella term for a variety of techniques that attempt to hide the jagged edges that would result from any diagonal line's being displayed on a screen with the relatively large pixels that all current monitors have. There are various types, but most take a significant amount of graphics processing and so make fairly large dents in performance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_aliasing

Though I won't talk actual parts until closer to your build date (when will it be?), I recommend going with a single powerful graphics card over two, even when the two are a better value. SLI/Xfire is an easy and economical upgrade, certainly more so than buying an entirely GPU and throwing out your other one(s), and you shouldn't close it off to yourself from the beginning.

I don't have an exact date ready, only because I am still getting the money together. Hopefully this job I'm applying for will quickly take care of that, but if I get the job, saving up enough will take until about June-July. And how come a single card would be better if it's an easy and economical upgrade? Sorry if that question sounds retarded, I just didn't really get what you meant.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 12:04:09 AM

The upgrade would be adding another card later on, creating an SLI or Xfire setup instead of buying an entirely new card. If you got two Tis now—or in June—you'd have to basically scrap them for your next graphics upgrade. You could use them in some other build or sell them, but you wouldn't be able to use them in your main PC. If you get a single card for the price of both Tis, though (~$450), you'll be able to add another one later on while still making use of the first. That's the upgrade, not getting the single card in the first place. Before you get the second card, the first probably won't have performance quite as good as the Tis, but it'll make itself worth your while in the long run.
m
l
March 2, 2012 12:14:14 AM

kajabla said:
The upgrade would be adding another card later on, creating an SLI or Xfire setup instead of buying an entirely new card. If you got two Tis now—or in June—you'd have to basically scrap them for your next graphics upgrade. You could use them in some other build or sell them, but you wouldn't be able to use them in your main PC. If you get a single card for the price of both Tis, though (~$450), you'll be able to add another one later on while still making use of the first. That's the upgrade, not getting the single card in the first place. Before you get the second card, the first probably won't have performance quite as good as the Tis, but it'll make itself worth your while in the long run.

Ohhhhh I see what you're saying. But then again, I read all around these forums, and others, that even though a 580, or even 590 or 7970 is good, SLI/Crossfiring them is overkill for just simply gaming, and that's all I will be using this PC for, and only on a single 23" monitor. I have a laptop for all my other, every day computing needs. I've been told it's a better deal to just SLI the 560 Ti's, or wait til Kepler is released to see how the 660 Ti's perform (seeing as I will be purchasing after they are supposed to be released) and that the two 560s will be plenty for MAX ultra settings on any game at 1920x1080.

But I DO see your point. I may want to invest in a 580 (or 680) and then when I save up enough again, drop in a second one and SLI them. That will definitely suffice for future games for quite some time, I would hope. AHH! Decisions decisions!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 12:51:11 AM

Top-of-the-line SLI/Xfire is overkill at 1920x1080 for current games, but I promise you that it won't be in a year or two when you drop in the second card. That's not a concern.
m
l
March 2, 2012 1:42:08 AM

So, for now, would you say my best bet would be to get a single 580? Or if the 680 totally outperforms it and the 7970 and competes in price, get that? and then once I have enough money to get a second one, get another and SLI/Xfx?
m
l
March 2, 2012 1:49:27 AM

No - stay away from the 580 unless it's around the $400 mark. Get the 7950 if you must get a high end card and don't want to shell out the $$ for a 7970. The 7950 is better in every respect than the 580 and is either the same price or cheaper.

IMO get the 560ti SLI option - it will be good for at LEAST a couple years. If you're not building till June/July, though, you're gonna have a LOT more options on the table and I doubt that 560ti SLI will still be the top bang4buck option - I expect midrange Kepler or 78xx cards to take over that honor.
m
l
March 2, 2012 1:52:01 AM

That is more then enough IMO, I have a single Sapphire Vapor-X 5770 And I have it to the max OC. The max themp I get is about 60~65. I get about 40 fps but tends to drop to about 30 even high 20's at times but only for a few seconds. If you already have a 560 then get another but if you havn't I would get a single card like the 580 as said above.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 2:03:01 AM

Like I said earlier, wait on actual part decisions until you want to build. Prices and availability will both change.
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:08:30 AM

kajabla said:
Like I said earlier, wait on actual part decisions until you want to build. Prices and availability will both change.

Yea, the market changes like every month, so I guess I won't have a concrete answer until I am READY to build. But thank you for the info! Really helped!
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:10:50 AM

So just to clear it all up, the 560 Ti's SLI CAN run Battlefield 3 (or equally demanding game) max settings, but I should sit back and see what products are on the table when I'm ready to build, which should be after both Kepler and Ivy Bridge are released. Does that about sum it up?
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:49:26 AM

llguitargr8 said:
So just to clear it all up, the 560 Ti's SLI CAN run Battlefield 3 (or equally demanding game) max settings, but I should sit back and see what products are on the table when I'm ready to build, which should be after both Kepler and Ivy Bridge are released. Does that about sum it up?

Yup you got it :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 10:56:02 AM

They can, but SLI isn't the economical way to go in terms of upgradeability.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 12:31:36 PM

I would wait for Ivy bridge and Kepler - they will reduce the existing cost of current gen products if you're working on a budget and all proposed specs for both techs look promising. If I were building today with the intent of running BF3 on ultra settings, I would get :
a 2011 socket mobo (PCIE 3.0 ready)
an i7-3820 or 3930K depending on your budget
an Intel SATAIII SSD
an EVGA 580 Ultra

There are plenty of great procs, mobos and gfx cards out there but those will get you to Ultra settings smoothly
March 31, 2012 9:05:24 PM

Best answer selected by llguitargr8.
m
l
!