Best OC software for an Unlocked 6950?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • BIOS
  • Software
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 1, 2012 11:08:48 PM

After unlocking the shaders my new 6950 using a modified 6950 bios, I was disappointed to learn that MSI Afterburner doesn't allow voltage control, even after editing the config file and selectinig the voltage options in the settings screen.

I am not sure why, but I read something about it not allowing voltage control for unlocked 6950s that have flashed a new bios. I thought that this only for cards flashing to a 6970 bios.

Am I missing something in MSI Afterburner or am I SOL because I modified my bios?

If I can't use Afterburner, what is the next best (or better) software to use in OCing my 6950?

Looking for any help I can get here.

Thanks.

More about : software unlocked 6950

March 1, 2012 11:23:58 PM

newest version of "AMD Overdrive Catalyst" Software allows OCing with Voltage Tweaking , have u tried it ?
m
l
March 1, 2012 11:29:27 PM

You mean the +/- 20% power setting?
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2012 12:47:54 PM

Yep , isn't that it's purpose ? :-s :p 
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:50:00 PM

Honestly, I am not totally sure what the power setting in CCC does. I have heard that you should set it higher if you are adjusting voltages using another program like MSI AB or Asus Smartdoctor, but I don't know how it functions at all.

Is it like a voltage offset?

Maybe someone who knows can explain it for us.

btw...

I found out that I can set voltage in Asus Smartdoctor and exit with the setting still in effect. Then adjust the clocks using MSI AB. Just in case anyone is following this thread.
m
l
March 6, 2012 9:12:06 AM

vollman1 said:
Honestly, I am not totally sure what the power setting in CCC does. I have heard that you should set it higher if you are adjusting voltages using another program like MSI AB or Asus Smartdoctor, but I don't know how it functions at all.

Is it like a voltage offset?

Maybe someone who knows can explain it for us.

btw...

I found out that I can set voltage in Asus Smartdoctor and exit with the setting still in effect. Then adjust the clocks using MSI AB. Just in case anyone is following this thread.

u can use hardwaremonitor or similar programs to read GPU Voltages , if changing the offset via CCC changes the value read by the software , then problem is solved and no need to combine two different software
m
l
March 6, 2012 7:01:40 PM

Thank you sir.
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:55:27 AM

Looks like my solution is to use a combo of:

1) Asus SmartDoctor for voltage changes

2) MSI Afterburner for setting clocks

3) CCC for setting +20% power

Does anyone see any problems with using all three of these, or have any experience doing it like this?
m
l