Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4850 problems and possibly a new GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2012 11:32:34 PM

I have an ATI Radeon 4850, and I have had it for around 1.5 years. Recently while gaming my computer screen just goes black and the only way to fix it is to restart the computer. I am thinking that the video card is starting to die and I am thinking of buying a new one but not for another couple more months.

What would be the best card I could get for around $250 before taxes? I would hopefully want to run Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, Risen 2 on pretty good settings. I play on 1920 x 1080 resolution, I have a 600w power supply.
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 1, 2012 11:48:26 PM

Hard to say if that is caused by the card. If you have a different card you can use or onboard graphics try that out to see if the problem persists.
As for a new card if you won't be buying it for a few months the cards you should be looking at in your price range have yet to be released so there isn't much to say at the moment.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

March 2, 2012 3:28:30 AM

Hey Android289244 I also have a Radeon 4850 and have also had the same problem in the past. Your video card is most likely overheating in your PC case. You can try to use an air can and blow out the inside of your computer paying special attention to your vid card and its fan. If the problems persist and if you’re not getting the new video card right away I would recommend that you play with your case door open because it would get a lot more airflow for the time being.
For the new card that you are wanting to get you should look at the new Radeon 7850 it will be in your price range for the 1GB version it will be $219 and for 2GB it will be $249 ( It will be coming out sometime in the next couple of weeks) For $259.99 you can get an EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti which is a really great card and it comes with a lifetime warranty from EVGA which is an added bonus (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...) plus it comes with a $15 rebate. You can also wait until the new line of Nvidia cards comes out for sale sometime this year.
March 2, 2012 3:47:34 AM

Yes agreed with patrickoby. Wait for the 7850 version!
Score
March 2, 2012 1:53:55 PM

Patrickoby1 said:
Hey Android289244 I also have a Radeon 4850 and have also had the same problem in the past. Your video card is most likely overheating in your PC case. You can try to use an air can and blow out the inside of your computer paying special attention to your vid card and its fan. If the problems persist and if you’re not getting the new video card right away I would recommend that you play with your case door open because it would get a lot more airflow for the time being.
For the new card that you are wanting to get you should look at the new Radeon 7850 it will be in your price range for the 1GB version it will be $219 and for 2GB it will be $249 ( It will be coming out sometime in the next couple of weeks) For $259.99 you can get an EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti which is a really great card and it comes with a lifetime warranty from EVGA which is an added bonus (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...) plus it comes with a $15 rebate. You can also wait until the new line of Nvidia cards comes out for sale sometime this year.

Alright I'll go buy a can of compressed air soon and take out my vid card and spray the fan down. I'll get back to you on whether or not the card starts working properly again, and i'll leave the case door open too.

As for the 7850 video card I have been looking at it, and it seems really good, I guess I'll wait until it comes out and then scoop that off of newegg or something. :) 
Score
March 3, 2012 4:25:16 PM

The air can ended up helping quite a bit along with the case being open. I was playing Alan Wake yesterday for over 2 hours which would normally freeze up after around 15 minutes.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies, and the Patrickoby1 for the tip on how to keep my video card running properly :wahoo: 
Score
March 3, 2012 4:25:46 PM

Best answer selected by Android289244.
Score
!