Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500K + Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2

Last response: in CPUs
August 21, 2012 4:15:38 PM

Hi everyone.

So basically I'm running as the title says, an i5 2500K at stock speeds, with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. Using this setup I am experiencing worryingly high temps. Usual idle temp is roughly 41C, but under load (anything above 45%-50%) the temps really start to jump up. an average full load temperature for me is roughly 72C-81C.

I know this isn't right for an i5 that isn't overclocked, with an aftermarket HSF. It has been mentioned elsewhere that the Freezer 7 isn't up to the job of cooling an i5, I was wondering if any tech-savvy people on here could offer their opinion on that? I have some decent thermal paste on the way to me (MX-4) but I'm not expecting miracles.

It also takes an long time to cool after load, I was only playing mine craft for ten minutes and its struggling to come down from 47C!

Thanks in advance.
a c 188 à CPUs
August 21, 2012 4:38:22 PM

At 41c at idle you are basically looking at the performance of the stock cooler but the highs of 72c to 81c would have me worried. What are you using to get your temperature reading from. For me I have found HWMonitor to be the good.

Now when you take the cooler off are you seeing any gaps in coverage? The contact plate isnt flat? Maybe some play in the mounting system? I would expect to see this cooler at a level just a little better then the stock cooler but the temperatues you are seeing seems to be higher then that.

Check and reseat it if that does work try going back to the stock cooler and order a Cooler Master Hyper 212 + and replace it.
August 21, 2012 4:57:31 PM

I'm getting those reading from Coretemp, but HWMonitor is giving me similar readings on the separate cores.

I haven't taken the cooler off yet, wasn't planning on it until the new thermal paste arrived, unless you think it will do it no harm? (Im a new PC builder so I'm still learning)

I'm not against throwing more money at this and I hear alot of people recommending that Cooler Master 212.
a c 172 à CPUs
August 22, 2012 2:28:37 PM

The CM 212, in whatever is the current version (EVO, I think), is probably the best performing cooler for the price currently available. You can buy better coolers, but they will cost you significantly more.
!