Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fx4170 vs fx6100

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 21, 2012 4:50:15 PM

I'm going to start off by saying this... I know that the everyone is going to jump on the fact someone has mentioned the fx's, I really just want a straight up answer for what will be better for gaming, without having to be told to go intel, this is the only option :) . Here is the list of my other components..

Gigabyte M68MT-S2P
1TB Sata Hard Drive
8gb DDR3 1333 Memory Patriot
ATI Radeon 7770

So, due to my ''current'' situation these 2 CPU's are my last option for my ''budget'' rig, some people have mentioned previously that more cores is better, BUT is the increased clock speed of the 4170 and update in the family better or as equal to the 6100 for gaming? I play mostly mmo's, but would like to get some FPS games on there. Please help, much appreciated.

Signed,
Noob

More about : fx4170 fx6100

a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 3:20:57 PM

Phenom II x 4, even a 955 BE suffices, bad time to be buying any FX processors with PD out soon. Phenom's give you best balance but the performance is much of a muchness.

PS: with the 41XX and 6XXX series you don't get a aluminum tin, thats the deal breaker for me :p 
Related resources
August 23, 2012 3:47:58 PM

Ive seen a lot of people with responses like this, dont get me wrong i appreciate the response, but im in England here, and the website im actually buying this pre-built from is the same price as buying parts myself, if not slightly cheaper for the spec... the only options i have for the price range are the fx4170 or the fx6100, so really the only answer for me is which one is better, just wanted to get that out of the way :)  thanks.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 3:57:52 PM

Whats your price range?
do you need an entire system or do you have some old parts from a previous Rig lying around?
Moto
August 23, 2012 4:03:23 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Whats your price range?
do you need an entire system or do you have some old parts from a previous Rig lying around?
Moto


Entire system, the PC im buying is costing me £440 and includes windows 7.

Edit:: I have a choice between the fx4170 + the fx6100, ive looked around for the past 3 weeks for an alternative, im sure ill be quite happy with the performance of either as they'll run all the games i want to play with good graphics and decent fps due to the gpu, ive been playing on a laptop with 1gb ram, integrated intel graphics and dual core 2.2ghz, anything better than this will suffice!!
a c 103 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 4:26:57 PM

Hehe, I play Portal on a netbook with worse specs :p 
I'll see what I can throw together for that price, unless you're in Nottingham in which case I have my old rig that I may part with,
X3 435 unlocked to four cores and clocked to 3.2GHz (955BE speed)
M3a770DE Mobo
Sapphire 5770 gfx
I'd have to throw it into a new case if you were interested though, my old ones a bit modded
:p 
off to scope out a build on budget for you, back soon
Moto
August 23, 2012 4:29:30 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Hehe, I play Portal on a netbook with worse specs :p 
I'll see what I can throw together for that price, unless you're in Nottingham in which case I have my old rig that I may part with,
X3 435 unlocked to four cores and clocked to 3.2GHz (955BE speed)
M3a770DE Mobo
Sapphire 5770 gfx
I'd have to throw it into a new case if you were interested though, my old ones a bit modded
:p 
off to scope out a build on budget for you, back soon
Moto


Im actually not too far from nottingham, thanks for the thought but this will be my first gaming pc :)  only recently just got a job so now is my chance to get one, would love for it to be fresh!!

Appreciate the help, thanks.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 4:35:39 PM

No probs man, thought I'd offer :) 
Any intentions of overclocking at all?
looking at some bundles and if you aren't clocking I can go for a lesser spec mobo, which ups the gfx budget :) 
Moto
August 23, 2012 4:37:19 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
No probs man, thought I'd offer :) 
Any intentions of overclocking at all?
looking at some bundles and if you aren't clocking I can go for a lesser spec mobo, which ups the gfx budget :) 
Moto


Id go for the increase in gpu budget! :) 
a c 103 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 4:45:20 PM

Ok, an N68 plate will do then,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Phenom-965-3-4Ghz-CPU/dp/B0...
£140
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/8224042/art/sapphire-te...
£120
you could squeeze a Cx500 Psu on the build but I prefer headroom on Psus, and this is only a tenner more,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-Builder-Series-600CX-...
£57
Leaving you to find a Hdd, case and windows with the change, that lot up there is just under £260 so plenty left in the budget,
**Edit, if you're at all worried about building, I'm on call to talk you through or will do it for ale money :p 
Moto
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 5:03:16 PM

In your situation of the two you may as well get the cheaper of the two and put the deficit towards a GPU, if you can somehow squeeze in a HD 7850 you will be fine.

or the above posters options, the only benefit to these pre-builds is the cover and the fact you will have a board with more expansion capacity.

1] Thuban or Deneb

2] The cheaper of those two options

See from the link two other combos;

FX 4100 http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Bulldozer-FX-4100-Quad-3-6G...

PII x4 965BE http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Phenom-Quad-Core-3-4GHz/dp/...

RAM is dubious, from what I have seen Patriots AMD RAM is the way to go but that you can always do later, RAM has very little performance influence.

While I prefer Phenom II's there is realistically very little between a FX 4XXX and X4's sometimes its over the top the criticism of FX chips sure not great but they do enough.
August 23, 2012 5:10:13 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Ok, an N68 plate will do then,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Phenom-965-3-4Ghz-CPU/dp/B0...
£140
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/8224042/art/sapphire-te...
£120
you could squeeze a Cx500 Psu on the build but I prefer headroom on Psus, and this is only a tenner more,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-Builder-Series-600CX-...
£57
Leaving you to find a Hdd, case and windows with the change, that lot up there is just under £260 so plenty left in the budget,
**Edit, if you're at all worried about building, I'm on call to talk you through or will do it for ale money :p 
Moto


Brilliant!! thanks, can that motherboard take 2x 4gb if i upgrade it?
a c 103 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 5:10:56 PM

I was just going to look at a different board for you as Sarinaide mentioned, I should have looked for an Am3+ really to begin with, :) 
That means finding a board and the 965 separately though obviously and will likely cost more
But yes, 8Gb is the max on that board, http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-VS3%20UCC/?cat=Spec...
Moto
a c 103 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 5:46:01 PM

No probs man, just reply in here when ready and we get notification mail :) 
Moto
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 5:50:55 PM

Fatality 12+2 VRM
Crosshair V formula 10+2 VRM

I would look for something with at least 8 phase.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 6:42:35 PM

Alternative sugestions are welcome, although I don't see op spending £200+ on the mobo in a £440 build,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-CROSSHAIR-V-FORMULA-ASUS/d...
not when windows alone is £80 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-OEM-software-intended...

I'm working on the assumption that op won't be looking at overclocking just yet as well, so a stock 965 on any plate with a 6870 is going to handle Wow etc just fine imo
*Edit, although i know this to be a decent clocking plate, and price has dropped a lot since I bought mine :) 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004RQ409A/ref=asc_df_B004RQ...
Slightly cheaper available, http://www.techbox.co.uk/asrock-890fx-deluxe5.html?___S...
Moto
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 6:55:17 PM

Think the Gigabyte 970FXA-UD3R is a 6+2 phase board, cheap and good.
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 7:29:56 PM

Quote:
the GA-970A-UD3 is 8+2..


Thats the board and even better, I normally go for that as a budget orientated board.....apart from the horrible colour scheme it has the right features for buck.
!