Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please suggest a video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2012 12:44:38 AM

Don't laugh, I have an old Emachine with onboard video.

I need to run three monitors. I have room for one pci card.

Can I run a dual monitor card and the onboard video or do I need a card that can handle three monitors.

Any suggestions for a CHEAP card or solution.

Thanks

Edit: Just found this.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $150-250) Before / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Editing multiple office files, no games, little surfing, no video intensive videos.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Celeron 2.9 Gig-300 Watt powersupply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: E machine T3985

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: no preference, looking for a cheap card.

PARTS PREFERENCES: PCI

OVERCLOCKING: NO

More about : suggest video card

a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 12:59:11 AM

Wait you want a card to run 3 monitors on a PCI card. R you sure its not PCI express?. because you may be outta luck if its the old fashioned PCI slot
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 2, 2012 1:14:04 AM

Upping your budget to $300 or so and building a new system entirely is definitely your best option.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 2, 2012 1:50:43 AM

Wow, pci gpu, didn't think they still existed. If you do find one it is likely to be more expensive than it's pci-e counterpart due to the lesser demand for them. However, as far as I'm aware, there was no gpu capable of running 3 monitors off a single card until amd came along with their 'eyefinity' cards. You may wish to consider getting a Matrox triplehead2go. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/
March 2, 2012 11:41:30 AM

jyjjy said:
Upping your budget to $300 or so and building a new system entirely is definitely your best option.

So I could reuse my powersupply and drives but I would need a new motherboard and cpu. Is that what you are suggesting? What options would I need on the mb? What basic cpu to go with it.

Remember this is a mission specific computer and will be doing document creation with light internet surfing.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 2, 2012 7:12:10 PM

Cremaster said:
So I could reuse my powersupply and drives but I would need a new motherboard and cpu. Is that what you are suggesting? What options would I need on the mb? What basic cpu to go with it.

Remember this is a mission specific computer and will be doing document creation with light internet surfing.

Unfortunately, no, pretty much everything in your computer is obsolete and cannot be used in a new build outside of perhaps the case but I wouldn't bother personally. Here is a system for $300 that is a large upgrade on what you have now;

CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.10 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-GE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.89 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6450 512MB Video Card ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Apex PC-389-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $305.90

You should be able to run two displays off of both the onboard video and the HD6450 for a total of four. If you are willing to spend more I can adjust the components appropriately.
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 10:56:16 PM

jyjjy put together a great set there. I endorse.

Tweak: save $5 and get a slightly better PSU (Corsair CX430)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You would need to buy windows too. An OEM version is another $80.

Edit: @jyjjy -- that part picker website is sweet. Thanks for sharing.
March 3, 2012 2:41:39 AM

jyjjy said:
Unfortunately, no, pretty much everything in your computer is obsolete and cannot be used in a new build outside of perhaps the case but I wouldn't bother personally. Here is a system for $300 that is a large upgrade on what you have now;

CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.10 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-GE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.89 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6450 512MB Video Card ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $305.90

You should be able to run two displays off of both the onboard video and the HD6450 for a total of four. If you are willing to spend more I can adjust the components appropriately.

Question: Can we save seventy bucks by reusing the following,

I have a good case, a 300 wat Allied PS, and some optical drive that is at least 6 yrs old. I only need to read off the Optical drive and probably only to install Windows.

I am thinking that that seventy bucks can be spent on a MB upgrade, one with out on board video, and another of the video cards. Your thoughts please.

I am ok with the purchase of Windows BUT do you think my OFFICE 2003 will install and run ok. I installed 2003 and it has caused this computer to go berserk trying to upgrade windows 24/7 unless I turn the thing off. Only MS eh?

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 3, 2012 3:14:39 AM

As I said the one component you may want to consider reusing is the case but avoiding the hassle of gutting the old computer combined with that you can leave the old computer fully functional if you get a new case is worth the $25 IMO. Your optical drive is IDE and incompatible with all but a few current motherboards. Power supplies degrade over time and reusing a rather old off brand unit is not a good idea. I don't really see the point in a more expensive motherboard and a second HD6450. The onboard video is more than adequate for non-gaming purposes. If you want to spend more money I would put it towards a better processor or perhaps a larger hard drive, maybe even an SSD if you can swing it.
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2012 6:18:09 AM

+1 to above.

If you are really looking to save money, scan craigslist in your area for a used case or a DVD drive. Just make sure you see it working before you buy it.
March 3, 2012 8:23:25 PM

Your answer makes sense. I was not aware that IDE was old hat now. I did know that power supplies did not last forever. Last machine I put together was based on an ASUS CUSL2-C Black Pearl edition. Thanks for your help. One more thing, do I need to budget for a fan and heatsink?

jyjjy said:
As I said the one component you may want to consider reusing is the case but avoiding the hassle of gutting the old computer combined with that you can leave the old computer fully functional if you get a new case is worth the $25 IMO. Your optical drive is IDE and incompatible with all but a few current motherboards. Power supplies degrade over time and reusing a rather old off brand unit is not a good idea. I don't really see the point in a more expensive motherboard and a second HD6450. The onboard video is more than adequate for non-gaming purposes. If you want to spend more money I would put it towards a better processor or perhaps a larger hard drive, maybe even an SSD if you can swing it.

March 3, 2012 8:23:49 PM

Best answer selected by Cremaster.
!