sscalcuttawala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
Hello guys
I want to assemble a new PC & I have in mind AMD FX4100 & AMD Phenom 2 X4 955/970 Black Edition with a matching ASUS Mobo to go along with it.
Is the CPU good for mid size performance? Pl suggest the best of the lot keeping in mind I would be not be upgrading for atleast 5 years.
Also the cpu should not be a major power guzzler for which I have Cosair VS450/Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU to take care of power.
Also pl suggest a matching cabinet preferably Cooler Master for Cosair PSU
How is CM Elite 310

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Overall you wont see any difference in performance between the two. Gaming wise of you pair thees CPU's up with a decent graphic card you can play any modern game @ 1080p @ 40 - 60FPS (max settings). If you want to do video editing/encoding the 1000$ i7 is the king. Also, the fx 8150 will do a great job there. the 430w power suply its on the limit ... considering that you ad a 150w GPU ^-

What are you using your PC for? If you're only doing MS Office and web browsing, you will see no benefit choosing one from the other, they will most likely perform equally as good and keep you happy.

Also, what motherboard do you have in mind? With those two CPU's, you don't get on-board graphics, so make sure your Motherboard has a chipset that has graphics (880G chipset for example).

Your current PSU would do fine, the Corsair CX430 is of very nice quality, and can handle any GPU up to a Radeon HD6850. Also, do you have a video card you want to use in mind? If so, please list it :)

The Cooler Master Elite 310 is a very nice budget case, however, I would preferably want to get a CM Elite 430 at least for the bottom mounted PSU.

I too would choose the Phenom II X4. They seem available again, at decent prices. For the case, I'd recommend anything from Rosewill; of the eight or so different models I've used, I've had no complaints specific to any of them. Of course, any cheap case will have modest (if any) cable management, and may feel relatively flimsy when apart. Rosewill tends to include more fans than its competitors, and sometimes something else like an extra port or two. OTOH, CM is provably dishonest, so I cannot recommend anything from them regardless of quality. Fortunately, my original reason for switching to Rosewill was due to dissatisfaction with CM quality; I did not learn of the extent of their dishonesty until years later.
Since you are not going to be upgrading for five years, I'm going to assume this isn't a gamer. While a five-year old CPU (e.g. a Q9450) remains a competent gamer today, there is no five-year old graphics card I'd recommend for today's games. For office tasks, consider an i3-2120 instead of the AMD chip. Performance will be similar or a little better unless you overclock a fair amount, and power use will be lower, especially if you overclock the AMD chips.

sscalcuttawala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012

Thank you for input,basically use PC for moderate gaming,no high end stuff ,web browsing & some photo editing
For mobo how is Biostar A880GZ Motherboard, ASUS M5A78L-M LX Motherboard, & ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard
Also what is difference between 32 nm Mfg.Process Vs 45nm in CPU

sscalcuttawala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012

Thanks for feedback

What is the difference between 32 nm Mfg.Process Vs 45nm Mfg. Process in a cpu. I have heard that phenom 2 X4 955/970 consumes 125W in power Vs 95W of Amd FX4100 Pl clarify?

sscalcuttawala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012

Thank you for your feedback
will make any difference if the PSU is top or bottom mounted as in case of cabinet.Does it make difference in cooling the HDD ,CPU & other devices?

Phenom II 45NM vs AMD FX 32NM main differences = Different die sizes, different architecture and power consumption.

However, at the moment, I would say the manufacturing process is irrelevant comparing the two since the Phenom II just pummels the AMD FX-4100 for any task as it has four real cores instead of two Bulldozer Modules. So definitely purchase the Phenom II X4's when given the chance :)

Your PSU being top mounted or bottom mounted will most likely NOT interfere with the cooling of your hardware, it'll just act as an extra exhaust fan. However, I'm not fond of top mounted PSU's due to how much heat can be generated inside a PC case. I would rather have a PSU pull fresh air from the bottom instead of the old, hot, recycled air from the case.

This. A bottom-mounted PSU also makes a case more stable by lowering the center of gravity. Cable management is also better, if only because extra cables lie on the floor of the case rather than dangling (or being tied off) in the airflow.

lol, well despite the best efforts of UPS, I have yet to hear of a screwed-in PSU shaking loose, but a top-heavy case could easily tip over, especially if a startled cat jumps off the top of it or a dog or monkey gets too boisterous in the same room. I suppose a heavy cooler might rip a mobo off its standoffs :ouch: , or drives (and heavy graphics cards) might fall out of cheap tool-free mounts :ouch: :ouch: ...