Socket AM3/AM3+?

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Hello there fellow community member! I must admit, i'm confused over AMD's name choice for their sockets. I'm currently on a AM3 socket motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3257#sp) and i want a new CPU since mine is abit... outdated. I was just wondering if my old mobo would support a AM3+ socket, i guess not but i want to make sure i'm not making any assumptions. The new CPU i'm looking at is an AMD FX-8150 8-Core Processor, for those interested.

The problem here is really the budget, i want a new CPU but i don't want to spend much more than 200£. So if i need a new mobo this 150£ CPU might just be too expensive. Do you know of any mobo i could get for 50£ that will support a FX-8150? If not then i can get a FX-8120 instead, which is around 120£ and a mobo for 80£.

I got a Cooler Master V10 cooler for my GPU too... i really want it to be on my next CPU if it's possible... i ******* love that thing

Cheers!

Agreed with the above, just stick with a high end PII X4 (assuming that you don't already have a 965BE or better, anyway)..

THEN, when Piledriver is released, you can take a look a going to an AM3+ setup then. Hopefully Piledriver will be an actual upgrade from the PII chips.

For £80, it would be a good enough upgrade, sure, especially if you OC it.

That would end up possibly making upgrading to Piledriver a moot point, though.

I'd suggest to decide to do one or the other (965BE now vs. Piledriver and a new board later).

Once you crank the 965 to around 4GHz, you're set for a while, giving you time to assess PD's performance and decide whether or not to get the new plate and Pd chip, or to an Intel set up,
But the 965 should see you 2 years of decent play easily with a decent gfx card
Moto