My build vs Pre-built...

xmatt007x

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I am ready to make a purchase and I am now between two choices..

I had been working on the idea of building my own but came to the realization that I have never done this, don't own a copy of windows, etc...

Here is what I am between....

Custom:

i3 2120 3.3Ghz dual core processor
ASRock Z77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 motherboard
Seagate 500gb hdd
Team Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1333
Radeon 7850 / GeForce GTX 480
Antec 550w PSU

(Ballpark price - $675 + Windows = $800)

Prebuilt:

HP Pavilion p7-1226s Desktop PC

Specs
Intel Core i3-2130
1TB HDD
4 x USB; 2 USB 2.0 ports (Front) & 4 USB 2.0 ports (Back)
6GB DDR3 Ram (Only 2 slots in the motherboard for ram)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Starting Price $399

Add in:
Radeon 7850 / GeForce GTX 480
Antec 550w PSU

Total: $700

EDIT:: I may go a little lighter on the graphics card for financial reasons.. (~$140 range)

xmatt007x

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I'd appreciate some insight as to whether the hardware & performance of the custom build is worth the price difference as well as the possible complications that come from building your own as opposed to upgrading a pre-built system.

nna2

Distinguished
the prebuilt will be a little pricey, but will (most likely) work

you're more likely to save a few bucks with a custom built, but with mine (mostly due to lack of money) it took a few months to get started because we didnt have all the parts we needed

err sorry i was still writing when you posted you reply... if your going to be putting in the gfx card after(mind your warranty will be voided) i would say thats the way to go

G

the only "fault" i could see with the HP build is that i suspect it has a H61 motherboard with just 2 ram slots whereas with the custom build use are using a Z77 with all the bells and whistles of an ivy bridge platform.

I would not trust a prebuilt PC with anything gaming related. The components used are low-tier, basic ones that are mass produced with cheap materials to make as much profits to the company as possible.

Even if you replace the PSU, rest of the components are cheap stuff, and you'll lose warranty by doing the replacements anyway - so why not just build one of your own, and have full warranty for all parts.