3570k with IGP vs 965 BE with GTX 480

ghutsell1

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I am about to start buying parts for my new rig and i am torn between what i can afford with my budget (~$700).
with my budget i have narrowed it down to either buying a 3570k and using the Integrated graphics, or buying a
Phenom II 965 and a GTX 480, Opinions? I do a fair bit of Gaming(TF2,Minecraft.Battlefield 3, COD, and hope to play some crysis),
i need something that can multitask well. i will not be over clocking at first due to cooling/budget, but hope to in the future.
Any help would be great!
~Grant

Solution
It shouldn't be to any significant degree, maybe you would lose a couple of FPS in certain CPU heavy games. You do have the option of overclocking your Phenom II to alleviate any bottleneck that would come up. You wouldn't have that option with an Intel placeholder CPU like the Celerons. In any case, gaming on the HD 4000 would be abysmal compared to the 480, even factoring in CPU bottlenecking if you got a low end Intel CPU.

In terms of a balanced system for right now, Phenom II with GTX 480 is the best option you have presented.

ghutsell1

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

i suppose it should be mentioned that with the 3570k the igp would be more of a temp. thing untill i get more money.
also, do you think the 965 will bottleneck the 480 much?

The IGP on the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K while better then anything we have had on the processor before realy isnt good for gaming on anything except middle of the road gaming (WOW, Starcraft etc.) runing on middle road sittings. So if you are talking a couple of weeks or maybe a month I would go with Intel Core i5-3570. Otherwise I would be build the system around everything else and buy an Intel Pentium® G860 and a solid video card like the nVidia GTX 560 and then sell the processor on ebay once you can get the money to move up to the Intel Core i5-3570K.

ghutsell1

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

so you are saying i should build it as if i was building the final 3570k system but with a pentium? also, why pentium not i3? seems to me for the $20ish extra the i3 would be worth it.

InvalidError

Titan

Not worth spending $20 extra on a temporary CPU... but if I was buying a temporary CPU, I would go down to G6xx and save another $50.

ghutsell1

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

being that it will likely take me around 5-7 months to build up enough to actually buy the 3570k,
will the Pentium be enough to keep me above water? also, i have heard that pentiums can only run ram at 1333, is this true?

It shouldn't be to any significant degree, maybe you would lose a couple of FPS in certain CPU heavy games. You do have the option of overclocking your Phenom II to alleviate any bottleneck that would come up. You wouldn't have that option with an Intel placeholder CPU like the Celerons. In any case, gaming on the HD 4000 would be abysmal compared to the 480, even factoring in CPU bottlenecking if you got a low end Intel CPU.

In terms of a balanced system for right now, Phenom II with GTX 480 is the best option you have presented.

Solution

ghutsell1

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

i think you swayed me! as far as overclocking goes, do you thing a hyper 212+/evo would be good to get the 965 to GHz? currently budget has no room for that, but if i dropped the RAM down to 4GB from 8GB it would give me enough for the hyper 212 evo. opinions?

The 212 Evo will be sufficient to cool the Phenom II for overclocking. The Phenom IIs tend to top out at around 4GHz anyway, usually you hit a voltage barrier before you hit a heat barrier with those chips when overclocking.

For most games you can get away with 4GB of RAM if you really have to. Most games use between 1 and 2 gigs of RAM. Some games like Skyrim can use up to 4GB on their own, though these titles are quite rare right now. You can always throw in 2 2 gig sticks now, and throw in another 2 2 gig sticks later to give yourself 8GB. Or just get a 2 4GB kit later, RAM prices are unlikely to shoot up anytime soon, not until DDR4 hits.

You may have to go slightly overbudget for the cooler though, even cutting down the RAM, dropping to 4GB will probably only save you 20 to 25 bucks. The 212 Evo can be a bit more than that, closer to 30 bucks.

ghutsell1

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

do you recommend 1 x 4gb stick or 2 x 2gb sticks? i can save exactly $30 by getting a single 4gb stick instead of the 2 x 4gb i was gonna get.
(planning on getting these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148555 <===8gb
or: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148553 <===4gb

Thanks for your help!

1 4GB stick will work okay. 2x 2GB might yield better performance though due to dual channeling. Then again, memory performance tends not to make a huge impact these days for most day to day applications anyhow. If just 1 4GB stick allows you to get a good cooler to overclock your CPU, go for it.

ghutsell1

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

alright! thanks for all your help! i will be buying the phenom system with 4gb at that start than purchasing another 4gb for christmas probably!

Thanks,
Grant