Sign in with
Your question

XFX, worst graphics card ive ever owned

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2012 3:33:34 AM

has any one else run into stupid issues with XFX products? is it just radeons or geforce as well?

i bought a 5870 brand new 5 days after launch from newegg. it was a XFX card with the nice rear placed fan to blow out of the case. 1 year later the fan fails and the GPU sustains damage. i ship it off and get a new card back, the RMA process took about a week witch wasnt that bad but the card they sent back was a lower end board. no voltage control, no real over clocking ability, no back plate, and a heat sink with the fan in the middle of the card so half the cards heat is blown back into my case...

fast forward 1 year nearly to the day and this fan fails again on the replacement card. 2 and a half weeks after starting the RMA process my card comes back (this was today). i plug it in and load up eve, maybe 2 min into playing the screens starts to flash, show vertical white lines and locks up. i shut the system down and pull the card to find that all 4 of the heat sink retainer screws are stripped, someone reamed on them so much there is no head left. one screw is cross threaded something fierce and has no retention into the heat sink block. the front Bessel of the heat sink can easily lift off the card by sheer gravity and the heat block pulls away from teh GPU about 1/8" of an inch...

never again will i touch this company or recommend it or build with it. i use to love sapphire but they stopped there warranty program many years ago and i quit buying them. do they have a warranty program again?

what is a good ATI company to go with?
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 3:47:36 AM

These kind of the problem happen not just in XFX...eVGA..MSI...Powercolor....

For Radeon card I only stay with Sapphire and ASUS
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:50:32 AM

i have sapphire cards from 2002 that are still going strong. so far my xfx fan has failed every year nearly on the dot. back in the day when ATI did there own warrenty i loved it, then i had a X800 die on me just after ATI droped there warenty program and sapphire didnt have any warenty program at that time as they relied on ATI.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 4:55:08 AM

second sapphire and asus. I always hear bad things about xfx and the reviews seem bad. I think they sucker people into it with that lifetime warranty.
m
l
March 2, 2012 5:00:49 AM

XFX are the VERY best graphic cards...just bought two 7970s to replace my XFX6950s!
m
l
March 2, 2012 5:15:47 AM

I have buddies who use XFX and I have used MSI for a while and never had problems with them. Sorry for your bad experience. I WOULD BE HEATED AT DEM KIDS!!!!
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 6:10:57 AM

Ive actually had 2 saphire cards die on me within 2 months.They all have lemons from time to time.Ill make my own judgement about xfx when i get my 7970 tommorow:) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 6:54:43 AM

The following Graphics Cards are eligible for an extension of the standard two-year limited hardware warranty:

1. XFX Radeon HD 7000 Series Dual Fan (Double Dissipation Edition) Graphics Cards with Ghost Technology; a floating cover design that maximizes airflow by creating exceptional venting throughout the card.

2. XFX Radeon HD 7000 Series Graphics Cards with 10-digit model numbers ending in “R” (example: “FX-797A-TDFR”)

3. XFX Radeon HD 6000, HD 5000, and HD 4000 Series Graphics Cards

4. XFX GeForce GT 520, GT 430, 200, 9000, 8000, 7000, 6000 Series Graphics Cards purchased after April 17, 2007.

If you register any of the specified products noted above online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 30 days of purchase, your limited warranty will be EXTENDED for the duration of your life. Registration within 30 days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to receiving the lifetime warranty.***

The limited hardware warranty on all XFX-branded products begins on the date of the packing slip, invoice, or receipt. A copy of the dated original invoice/receipt must be submitted to verify warranty repair or replacement. In circumstances where the transaction record is not available or reasonably verifiable (based on date of manufacture), the warranty period shall begin on the date of manufacture of the product
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support/WarrantyInformat...

m
l
March 2, 2012 1:07:06 PM

the Warranty isnt the issue. they still fix the card and its still under Warranty. the yearly fan failures and incompetent techs who lied and said my card was repaired and passed all diags are the issue.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 2:22:25 PM

For performance all the card has fail rate.. for the warranty ...some have three year ....some have lifetime.... when I say bad is the warranty process.... and you don't know what they replace to you ....from manufacturer... they have a RMA pool... if someone sent the RMA card to them and they didn't find the problem... like the card is not die right away ...or something the card is not stable on some situation.... if they test and still pass...they just put it in the pool...and sent to other one require RMA for the same model.....

For online store .... mostly you need to deal with manufacturer directly.... but for reseller if any problem on ASUS and Sapphire we can still deal with local distirbutor..and get replacement...instead of go thur manufacturer..

10 years ago if you but anything wrong for sure the first year is go back to where you buy ...instead of the manufacturer.....but the model is change now..
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:49:54 PM

dude sonexpc, reading your post made my head hurt.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 4:09:36 PM

I don't know if they place it in an RMA pool or not. Have you actually checked the SN of a returned board to see if it is different from your original? I sent a new video card back to the e-vendor within 10 days of purchase and was told it's SN didn't match what I had bought. I had sent the wrong card back and solved the situation later. I would think the mfgr would check to see if your card was under warranty and would tell you if it was a repair or replacement and how do you know it's not a new card replacement?
m
l
March 2, 2012 4:14:59 PM

sapphire pulls crap also. i sent them a 5770. 6 months of use and it stopped posting. i printed out a sticker for the postage address. they sent me an email 5 weeks later telling me its there policy to turn away packages that are hard to read.
m
l
March 2, 2012 4:30:56 PM

Never had a problem with XFX, that's what I mainly go with for the OC versions of the new releases... hell, my 4870s won't friggin die so I can replace. I've had nearly every generation on either side of the fence (AMD/nVidia) and XFX has been my brand of choice.

You're unlucky or you're having issues on another level (over the course of your 3 cards, was it all on same mobo/PSU?)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 4:34:38 PM

I rmad an evga 8800gt about 3 years back and a msi gtx470 about 6 months back, both took about 2 weeks and went smoothly.
m
l
a c 197 U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 4:53:10 PM

I usually buy HIS, and haven't had to return one yet.
m
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 5:25:55 PM

I have 2 XFX cards(5770 for media center and a 5870 for my main system).

The 5770 fan was very loud(or more to the point vibration prone at different speeds) so I contacted XFX. I told then i wanted a new heatsink because some of the newer 5770's did not idle at 157 due to instability or something.

Less then a week later, new heatsink fan unit at my door(even had pre applied thermal paste).

No more overly loud card.

For me, XFX has actually been good.
m
l
March 2, 2012 5:29:28 PM

Really hope you let them have it for the trouble they put you through!
I have had an XFX HD4770 for a couple of years now and haven't had any trouble at all.
m
l
April 12, 2012 11:02:43 AM

I have seen a similar problem (fan failing) in Galaxy GeForce 9800. It had a 3 year warranty, it gave problem every year. Now the fan has failed. Now the fan is repaired but it do not give suffiecient cooling & the GPU heats a lot.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:34:41 PM

I will never buy from XFX or Sapphire again because of their lack of advanced RMAs, and having to pay for shipping. I hate working with ASUS tech support, but they do have advanced RMAs and pay both ways for shipping.
m
l
!