Monsterfiles on c-drive

In my folder c:\documents and settings\nils\localsettings\temp i found two
huge files which leave little free space on the c-drive.
Their names are mse946.tmp (946mb) and mse868.tmp (874mb). As they lie in a
temp-folder I am feeling very tempted to give myself more room on C: by
deleting them.

Are they necessary? What good are they? And why do they stay in a temporary
directory - staying files in a temporary dicetory?

Can I delete the numerous tmp-files like ~DFF133.tmp?

---

Nils
2 answers Last reply
More about monsterfiles drive

    Hi Nils

    Do you know which program created the folder/files? Reboot your system, to
    make sure that the files aren't in use, then delete them.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Nils Krag Møller" <nkm@nkm.dk> wrote in message
    > In my folder c:\documents and settings\nils\localsettings\temp i found two
    > huge files which leave little free space on the c-drive.
    > Their names are mse946.tmp (946mb) and mse868.tmp (874mb). As they lie in
    > temp-folder I am feeling very tempted to give myself more room on C: by
    > deleting them.
    >
    > Are they necessary? What good are they? And why do they stay in a
    > temporary
    > directory - staying files in a temporary dicetory?
    >
    > Can I delete the numerous tmp-files like ~DFF133.tmp?
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Nils

    > Do you know which program created the folder/files?

    No idea at all. Is there any easy way to find out?
    I have tried closing programs and then tried to delete it. But always get
    the message that some program is using the file. So have have had no success
    as to finding out which program creates this tile.
    The only sure thing is that it is recreated with another name, and it grows.
    Today it started as 41 mb and when I deleted it, it had grown to mighty
    567mb !!!!

    Nils

    ----

    > Hi Nils
    >
    > Do you know which program created the folder/files? Reboot your system,
    > make sure that the files aren't in use, then delete them.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Nils Krag Møller" <nkm@nkm.dk> wrote in message
    > > In my folder c:\documents and settings\nils\localsettings\temp i found
    two
    > > huge files which leave little free space on the c-drive.
    > > Their names are mse946.tmp (946mb) and mse868.tmp (874mb). As they lie
    in
    > > temp-folder I am feeling very tempted to give myself more room on C: by
    > > deleting them.
    > >
    > > Are they necessary? What good are they? And why do they stay in a
    > > temporary
    > > directory - staying files in a temporary dicetory?
    > >
    > > Can I delete the numerous tmp-files like ~DFF133.tmp?
    > >
    > > ---
    > >
    > > Nils

Configuration Customization Windows XP