Computer restarting, have replaced everything I can think of.

May 6, 2012
Disclaimer: I am a computer tech for 14 years now so I understand the lingo.

A unit we built last year came into the shop and I have reached the point that I feel like it's just possessed. The unit was losing power shortly after entering windows. Here is what has been done so far.

1-Hard Drive replaced, Unit lost power during fresh windows install 3 times.
2- CPU replaced and Liquid cooling replaced, Computer still lost power.
3- New motherboard ordered and replaced, fresh windows install, computer restarted.
4- Brand new 850 watt bronze PSU, still restarting, but not as frequent.
5- Ram Replaced, still restarted.
6- Everything is taken out of the case, still restarted.
7- Video card replaced, still restarted.
8- All cords being used at the shop were replaced and hooked up to a different outlet, still restarting.

The Event log was checked each time for driver issues, and nothing was sticking out, just losing power.

As far as I can see, this is basically a brand new computer experiencing the EXACT same issues. We are starting all over but thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this?!?!

Solution
Sounds like a real nightmare, one of those problems that would drive me crazy.

I'd start right at the basics, if you can, test all the components individually (including cables and the case).

Make sure there are no shorts, my brother had a motherboard with a northbridge heatsink that touched against the under-side of the motherboard tray which caused continuous reboots.

Use the minimum to boot, one stick of RAM, minimal fans/HDDs/Optical devices ETC...

I know it all sounds obvious, and hopefully not condescending, its just what I would do.
That's some strange behaviour!

I once had a similar problem, when my PC was under load (gaming/rendering ETC..) it would shut down, Windows event viewer logged it as the nvidia graphics driver failing and a BSOD code of 116 (which pointed to power/GPU)

The cause was a burnt 24 pin extension cable, once removed all was well.

Any common components you're using throughout the troubleshooting process?

Are you able to check each individual component?

May 6, 2012

The only cable not replaced was the sata to the HDD, I just replaced it and have started another windows memory diagnostic test. Maybe the new ram or Video card might be bad as well, wouldn't be the first time I had that type of luck.

I have used loop backs on all the components I am able to test so far, it's just bizarre because I feel like everything has been replaced at this point.

Thank you for reply.

[Edit] I left it on in the boot menu and bios for almost 3 hours with no restart. I did this when it first came in the shop to troubleshoot windows being the issue...but replacing the hard drive and experiencing the same issue blew that away. I even explained it to my wife who knows nothing about computers to just confirm I'm not nuts and she agreed it made no sense.

daship

Distinguished
Very strange, you pretty much covered the bases. Maybe there is some strange current coming from the power source at the wall, or maybe a surge somehow in the ethernet cable, or maybe some high static in the air, set it on a rubber mat or take it home and test.

daship

Distinguished
Maybe, just maybe, there is a standoff in the wrong spot under the motherboard, and it might be the cause even after switching boards if there is one where there is no hole for it to line up it would be shorting things out. This is probably the most logical @ this time.

Sounds like a real nightmare, one of those problems that would drive me crazy.

I'd start right at the basics, if you can, test all the components individually (including cables and the case).

Make sure there are no shorts, my brother had a motherboard with a northbridge heatsink that touched against the under-side of the motherboard tray which caused continuous reboots.

Use the minimum to boot, one stick of RAM, minimal fans/HDDs/Optical devices ETC...

I know it all sounds obvious, and hopefully not condescending, its just what I would do.

Solution
May 6, 2012
Turns out one of the new Ram sticks were bad. Mettest did absolutely nothing for me. Does anyone know a better program way? It passed 26 times and still let the bad ram get by. Only found out after removing each stick for 2 hours a piece.

Thanks for all the help.