USA Sales tax holiday this weekend, ordering time?

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
OK, most states have this tax holiday right before the school year so people can buy computers and stuff for cheap, and in my home state it is this weekend! I realize not many of you care about this, cuz when you order online from an out of state shop you don't have any taxes (but you do have shipping...). My situation is different, I want to get an e6600 tax free this weekend but unfortunately there is a tigerdirect brick and mortar shop in my home town. That store never has good stuff in stock, it sells all the crap nobody wants and forces me to pay tax when I shop at their site.

It seems that this weekend would be the exception, if tigerdirect doesn't screw it up somehow I could fund a decent rig with no taxes, I am not finding e6600's at other places places though, if I could find a physical shop with this stuff, I would be all over that. I wonder if I pay now maybe I can avoid the taxes and have the thing ship later. I would rather just buy from newegg but they don't have what I want this weekend and I wanna see if I can save som money by ordering now.

Has anyone bought computer stuff on a tax holiday before and ran into a similar situation? I am not a good shopper but money is tight and I want to take advantage of this situation to get a nicer machine than I could otherwise afford.

Are there any decent computer shops that take pick-up orders so I could avoid taxes AND shipping and still get exactly what I want, that would be ideal. Guess I would have to ask local ppl that question though.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I don't know where you are, but if you're down here in Houston, I can recommend some places to go... otherwise you're on your own. Either way, I believe Black Friday is much bigger than any other sale of the year.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Either way, I believe Black Friday is much bigger than any other sale of the year.

Correct, Black Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year, hence the name (going from in the red to in the black).

You probably won't save any money when compared to buying at somewhere with cheaper prices and free shipping (zipzoomfly), but at least the difference won't be as large. (Given that the gap in prices on the e6600 is 339.00 shipped ZZF vs 372.98 shipped TD or about 10%).

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Tennessee is having a sales tax holiday and computers under $1500 are exempted. Tn's sales tax rate can be anywhere from 9.25% to 9.75%, depending on the county. I'm getting my wife a pc from circuit city. It's ok for what she needs, Sempron 3200+, 160GB hdd, and a 17-inch lcd for $340. Nice special, and no sales tax!

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
tigerdirect just told me core 2's aren't tax free, I am in north carolina, they have an outlet here so I gotta pay taxes, so I'm off to zzf. I'd like a running machine by the 23rd, that is when skool starts, guess I gotta start ordering, Is there any way to get in a queue for zzf? The back order buttons don't seem to do anything.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Here's a list of states that have it...
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/news/20050804b1.asp
• Alabama • New Mexico
• Connecticut • North Carolina
• Florida • South Carolina
• Georgia • Tennessee
• Iowa • Texas
• Maryland • Virginia
• Missouri • Washington, D.C.

Boohoo no CA :cry:

Booo!!!! NY is not on it.

I buy my stuff online anyway.

Well of course NY is not on it. Dont get me wrong, I love NY, but do you think Hillary is gonna let you sneak away with her money in your pocket :wink: Besides, how is NY going to pay for AMDs new fab if they dont continue taxing their residents to poverty?

peace

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I think the tax exemtion is for fully built computers... not parts

Yes, that's true. It's very limited in New Mexico about what is and isn't tax exempt.

From a local newstation website: Tax Holiday in NM

"Stores will be able to stop charging gross receipts taxes on school supplies, clothes and shoes, as long as each item costs less than $100.

If you need a new computer, computers under $1,000 are tax-free, as well as many of the essential accessories under $500 like monitors, printers and keyboards."

So, I don't think online sales will count.