Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Heavy Duty Video & Photoshop editing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2012 5:00:27 AM

Now that Sony Vegas Pro 11 and Photodex Producer 5.0 are utilizing the GPU for some of the heavy rendering work, what would be a good one to handle the task? I am NOT into gaming but do a LOT of video editing and Photodex slide show work. My current GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX and, even before the new versions of Vegas Pro and Producer came out, it struggled with some of the larger rendering jobs. Of course cost is a concern ... but speed and capability and bigger ones. Suggestions ... please?
March 2, 2012 5:51:07 AM

need to know your budget. The best Price /performance balance right now is the 6870's by radeon.
Score
March 2, 2012 5:56:35 AM

Budget-wise, I'd like to keep it under $300.
Score
Related resources
March 2, 2012 6:20:16 AM

If you want to stick with Nvidia a 560ti will work pretty well
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

for radeon you could go with a

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-E...

which would outperform the 560 ti

I am more of a gamer and Photoshop guy so I do not know what you would need for the most performance with video editing.

Hopefully someone can chime in on my suggestions and maybe have more expertise with what you need for video editing.

(p.s. sorry for asking for more information but could you post your CPU and PSU?)

the GPUs I listed may require more power then what you have, and I also dont want to bottleneck your system if you have a lower end CPU

Also going to bed so I will check this tomorrow.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 6:41:25 AM

I doubt it is your GPU that "struggled with some of the larger rendering jobs". Are the older versions even using the GPU? Although a good GPU can speed up some of the functions of the latest versions of those programs, the CPU will still do most of the work, and having plenty of RAM will limit the need for swapfile usage.

Given the age of the 9800 GTX, you likely need a full system upgrade.
Score
March 2, 2012 2:46:28 PM

DXRick said:
I doubt it is your GPU that "struggled with some of the larger rendering jobs". Are the older versions even using the GPU? Although a good GPU can speed up some of the functions of the latest versions of those programs, the CPU will still do most of the work, and having plenty of RAM will limit the need for swapfile usage.

Given the age of the 9800 GTX, you likely need a full system upgrade.

I have been updating my system piecemeal ... here's my current configuration -

CPU - Intel Core i3-2100
MB - ASUS P8P67
PS - Zalman ZM600-HP
Optical - Samsung SH-222 (x2)

I am looking to upgrade GPU now and waiting for Ivy Bridge later this year to swap out CPU and MB(?)

Score
March 2, 2012 6:00:01 PM

yikes! yea I would suggest that upgrade when the ivy's drop. Hopefully you can get something like an i7 for the hyperthreading. Seeing as DXRick is saying most of the video editing is CPU intensive, I would maybe suggest or more mid range GPU to save money unless you just want a high end GPU to last you for a long time.

A more mid range card would be a 550 ti or a radeon 6850/70
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 8:18:07 PM

I don't know exactly what percentages of the processing get divided between the CPU and GPU. Being a longtime Photoshop user, I know that the GPU is only used for some things. I would bet that upgrading your CPU to a 2600K would be a much more powerful upgrade than any GPU.

There isn't much of a reason to wait for Ivy Bridge, unless you want a 6-Core CPU, which is already available. From what I have read, a 4-Core IB CPU is just a die shrink from SB, and there won't be a significant speed increase at the same GHZ.

My latest build is an i7-950 CPU with AMD 6870 GPU - built for gaming :sol:  . My Photoshop usage has been nil to date, but I know it will be much better than my old P4 system. (I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I read a lot.)

I used Google to find this page: Vegas Pro 11 GPU Accelleration. Clearly a supported GPU can really boost some conversion tasks.

ProShow site has no info on GPU accelleration.

Score
March 2, 2012 8:37:54 PM

The Ivy bridge will run cooler at the same GHz when compared to the Sandy. More overclock room too. He wont be overclocking so that does not matter to much. The big draw I think is the reduced wattage needed for the same performance as the current gen CPUs
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 8:46:42 PM

I have a Video Editing machine. I use Coral Video Studio which is a 32 bit application. I have tried out Cyberpower, Adobe and Sony 64 bit editing software. All four really hammer my 2600 K i7 SB. All 8 threads run at 98% encoding HD video. All the 64 bit applications use a significant amount of RAM. Anything they do not use is cached within minutes. Even Coral 32 bit caches up the lot when encoding HD software. I have 16 GB RAM and could not imagine having any less. The 64 bit applications are also heavy on HDD's when previewing and encoding video files. I have 2 Velicoraptors in RAID 0 for scratch drives. Green drives are hopeless for the task.

The only GPU's that will assist are CUDA supported NVIDIA's. I recommend the 560 Ti. The thing is that CUDA only helps in some circumstances. Most of the older filters are not able to take advantage of CUDA. Having said that the 64 bit applications would have been built from the ground up so CUDA is more likely to play a significant role than in older 32 bit applications. ATI offerings do not assist with Video Editing. Gaming is ATI's speciality while NVIDIA have CUDA. Stick with NVIDIA.

Your main bottleneck will be the CPU. A 2600 i7 is the best solution around for the money at the moment. 16 GB RAM is essential. Fast HDD's are also essential. The CUDA support is nice to have but it may not produce the results you want with the bottlenecks already inherent in your system.
March 2, 2012 10:24:52 PM

Yeah ... right now I only have 8GB DDR3 1333 ... I have 2 WD 1TB Caviar Blacks (but not in a RAID array) and a single 2TB WD Caviar black for back-up storage. Maybe the first step will be to upgrade the CPU ... then think about the GPU. I am running mostly 64 bit applications with Win 7 Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1. When I do video rendering (and some of the larger Photodex Producer projects) it's always running at 100% and sometimes craps out on me.
Score
March 2, 2012 11:31:21 PM

Best answer selected by bigmjh.
Score
!