Need feedback on new computer build

Hello,
I'm building a new computer and would like some feedback on my parts list.
case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT snow edition
PSU: Corsair GS 800
MB: ASUS Sabertooth z77 LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz
SSD: Corsair GT-FSSD 120GB SATA 3
HHD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2 TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB Quad channel kit
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 560
Optical Drive: ASUS black blue-ray SATA
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster x-fi PCI express
25 answers Last reply
More about need feedback computer build
  1. Are you going to overclock? Also, what are you going to use it for? Let's leave it at the fact that this build is skewed over so it will be really expensive, but terrible for gaming. You're in the US, right? How much does all of that cost? I'll post the build once I get done with it. Just answer the questions in the meantime.

Also, are you sure you need a sound card? You don't if you're not an audiophile (if you don't know what that means, you aren't one).
  2. Please fill this out.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

If this were a gaming build, it's terrible.
    Productivity, meh at best. 32GB is way overboard for even the highest of RAM users. 16GB is needed AT MOST, but usually they don't even need that.

The motherboard if a ripoff at the price. Plus it doesn't even perform worth the case but that you're decision.
    GS is one of Corsairs not so good PSUs, they're alright but there are much better ones for the price.
    As mentioned about, you don't need a sound card, even if you were an audiophile. MB sound is pretty much unnoticeable in the difference it has from a card.
  3. I think an upgrade to GTX 560 Ti is warranted in this case for decent gaming experience.
  4. Thanks for the feedback. This is just an initial look at doing a build, so I'm definitely open to suggestions on this.
    I am interested on overclocking.
    It will be a gaming rig
    The price is at $2200
    I wasn't sure about the sound card, so that can take $160 off the price.
    The GTX 560 Ti is actually the card I was looking at.
  5. For $2200, we can have an amazing build. This is for just $1300, and can outpace your build by a LOT:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($147.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($131.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($117.24 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1341.93
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-06 14:37 EDT-0400)

If there were any 680s available, I'd get one. However, you may want to Crossfire two 7870s, or even go for a 690! The Thermaltake case is fine to put in here. Take an ASUS mobo if you want one.

The 560 Ti is WAY too underpowered for a $2000+ build..
  6. Are you planning on gaming? If so check out my $1100 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
    The i5 3570K is perfectly fine more most people and after overclocks it's able to manage quite well against the i7's.

As for ddan's build, not saying it's bad. But keep in mind PCPartPicker has prices after mail-in rebates. So those prices are not before it.

Could you please fill out the forum build advice I posted earlier. IT's a sticky for a reason.
  7. I agree about the sticky.

Price BEFORE rebates is $1400

Also, I'd go with sandy bridge. IB is overclocking pretty badly (sometimes 20C above SB!)... I'd really go with SB, especially because IB doesn't have much to offer. I picked an i7 because he has the budget for it, and it'll only help him as more and more programs utilize Hyperthreading.

I'd also try for a 680. If you REALLY want to spend a lot (this is $1000), then you could get a new 690. But that's like... REALLY expensive.

Seriously, though, what resolution are you playing at and what games will you be playing? Use the sticky.
  8. Approximate Purchase Date: within 2 months

Budget Range: $1600 - $2500 Before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing and school work are main use, however I am always finding new things I would like to try so I don't want to be limited by a low end computer

Parts Not Required: I just need to build the tower, I have a duel monitor system right now and the mouse and keyboard are not an issue right now.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would prefer to use newegg.com for parts

Parts Preferences: Intel, ASUS, and Corsair are my preferences but not required
    Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
    Additional Comments: My rig will be sitting in the living room, so it needs to look good. That is why I am looking at the Thermaltake Level 10 GT snow edition or the Corsair Special Edition white graphite series 600T ATX.
  9. Ah. I'll put some stuff I'd change from the build I posted above.

I can't do much about the graphics card... I mean, if a 680 becomes available, nab one. I guess you could crossfire a couple of 7870s...

Stick with the Thermaltake if you can afford it. Great case.

Just in case, you could go with a 2x8GB DDR3-1600 Corsair 1.5v RAM kit... two slots left will leave a lot of space.

Go with this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

There is an ASUS version of the GPU, although I'd personally go with MSI (cooling, noise levels, and it's clocked a bit higher)

Upgrade the SSD up to 256GB to make sure EVERYTHING runs fast. Put your OS, games, web browser, and other programs you want to run fast on it.

Other than installing some liquid cooling (H100), I don't know how we could improve the build. The main problem is with the GPU, since the 680s aren't available. I think $1600 is really the highest I would (or really can) go, $2500 is overkill. Save some money for college! Or a car!
  10. Why go with the Sabertooth? Bad and it's not even worth the price. The performance is average but the price is $80 over the performance premium.

As for the H100, it's garbage! That thing cools worse than high end air coolers. Sad I know, and it's a ripoff for the price but people still buy it anyways. SMH.

Check out my $1100 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
    Change the SSD to the 120GB Mushkin Chronos.
    Change the 7870 to the 7970 because the GTX 680 is not available and the fact that after overclocks the 7970 is better.

That's all you need to spend really. You never would need anymore than a $1100 build honestly in the current prices of computer parts. Z68 is virtually Z77 when it has Gen3, USB 3.0 and PCI 3.0 native on the Z77 provide no performance differences. You're also not going to go more than 2 way SLI/CF so that's why I suggest the Z68 Gen3 Extreme3 Asrock, saves money and it's just as good in performance.

As for your case, up to you.
  11. Sabertooth isn't bad. Why do you think it's bad?

Also, I kind of meant water cooling in general, if you're up for that kind of thing. I generally don't get pre-built water cooling setups, but here's the one benefit they have:

Customization. The water doesn't cool, it just moves the heat elsewhere... meaning out of the tower. There, you can add as many fans as you want to cool it off. You're limited by space inside the tower.
  12. How much does it cost though? $240 for a board that performs at the level of a $170 Asrock Extreme6 Z77? I don't think so.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-gd65-z77h2-a2x,3187-22.html
    All the motherboards shown there don't deviate more than a single % in performance. The Asrock performs nearly on par in every bench if not better than the Z77 Pro from Asus which is $55 more still. So leaving that as the bench, the Sabertooth can't possibly have that muhc of a difference that justifies $240.

Also, I agree, water cooling is nice. But closed loop setups like the H100 are terrible. Also your argument for the customization, not sure if I agree. The heat is move to the rads, which in turn have the fans to push the air out, so they still take just as much space as lots of fans. Essentially AC and WC both require good airflow in the case. AC is cheaper and you don't require 5+ fans for good airflow as most people think. 1-2 intakes and 2+ exhaust provide more than enough cooling.
  13. A $240 ASUS board (which the OP requested) that is very reliable, has better customer support, and has all the features you would want (like being very durable). I know mobos don't impact performance, but they do impact reliability. I am personally going with an ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 for my computer build, but I thought that since the OP requested ASUS, this was the way to go.

I meant that the fans are on the outside of the case. So, 1) they don't push hot air through the case, and 2) you have the entire room to fit your fans in. The problem with air cooling is that the fans has to fit INSIDE the case, while liquid cooling can have fans on the OUTSIDE, where there is more room (the height limit for liquid cooling is literally the sky).

I don't think the OP should get rid of air cooling inside the case... just a liquid cooling setup for the CPU (however, with gaming, I'm not sure if this is even necessary).
  14. He said it was not necessary but it was his preference. Also, that's a joke. Asus isn't good at customer service, I'm pretty sure all motherboard companies have equally bad support. Also the Asrock ExtremeX Zxx boards have been reliable as well so... Yeah...

OK, I understand your point about LC, but the H100 can't do that. LC is nice I'd agree, but most of the time, almost all of the time. Air cooling is adequate. More than adequate for some.
  15. You make so many claims, but I never see any proof.
  16. ^That. Although I haven't provided much myself, either... well, testimonial proof, I guess. I know a lot of people that prefer ASUS for reliability and customer support.

Also, the ASRock boards haven't been out that long. ASUS boards (not Z68, but older) have been out for a while, and people say they're still good.
  17. Lol Azeem you make lots of claims to and statements but provide no info. You also get into arguments but in the end just type one sentence responses like a troll.

As for Asrock, actually yes they have been out very long. In fact dating back to LGA 775. They were a company under Asus prior to the recent years as a matter a fact.
    Reliability is hard to prove. You have to look at the reviews and determine DOAs etc. Generally though, Newegg reviews in terms of just reliability is a good place to look. Not a lot of Asrock boards have died in the long run. Maybe arrived DOA but not died if it wasn't.

Here's Asus's score on customer service.
    http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Asus
    Generally I've seen reviewers on Newegg complain about every companies customer service. I've found that Cooler Master isn't terrible. It wasn't fantastic either, that's from personal experience.

Also, I posted a review of Z77 boards around $160-$220 whether you looked at it or not. I'm not sure. But it clearly showed, and THG said, that it held the best value/performance. While the Asus Z77 Pro, performed only on par to the Extreme6 Z77 for $55 more.
  18. No H100 on here, but the H60 and etc. are on there.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4127/nzxt_havik_140_cpu_cooler_review/index6.html
    Keep in mind, the Havik 140 beats out the H60 for $5 less. It is also quieter.
  19. I understand why he deviated towards the ASUS Sabertooth.

I also chose that part for my upcoming build. Sure, I could save $70 and get a very similarly performing board. You're right on the money with that one Shinobi. However, there's a reason why people that can and want to spend $2k buy those things.

Its for the luxury of knowing that you own one of the highest-end boards. Maybe the look is what captivated him. Maybe its the expectation that the highest-end board will provide better stability. Who knows.

One thing we have to keep in mind when making recommendation is that in the end, it's entirely up to the requester. He can choose to spend $55 more than the ASRock counterpart just because he can, or he wants to. We're merely helpers; we provide tips and suggestions but we don't force the choice down their throat.

As for Azeem's post, yes the one-liner isn't the best reply, but prior to that I only saw one link to back up claims. So he does have a valid point.
  20. Thank you both for the feedback. It was very helpful. I will be using suggestions from you both. I appreciate your view on the Sabertooth, however, I'm kinda set on going with that board. The suggestions for GPU and SSD are great and I'm going with the recommendations. Thanks again.
  21. No problem! Feel free to post here or pm one of us with any more questions you have.

Good luck, and have fun!
  22. aznshinobi said:
    Lol Azeem you make lots of claims to and statements but provide no info. You also get into arguments but in the end just type one sentence responses like a troll.

As for Asrock, actually yes they have been out very long. In fact dating back to LGA 775. They were a company under Asus prior to the recent years as a matter a fact.
    Reliability is hard to prove. You have to look at the reviews and determine DOAs etc. Generally though, Newegg reviews in terms of just reliability is a good place to look. Not a lot of Asrock boards have died in the long run. Maybe arrived DOA but not died if it wasn't.

Here's Asus's score on customer service.
    http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Asus
    Generally I've seen reviewers on Newegg complain about every companies customer service. I've found that Cooler Master isn't terrible. It wasn't fantastic either, that's from personal experience.

Also, I posted a review of Z77 boards around $160-$220 whether you looked at it or not. I'm not sure. But it clearly showed, and THG said, that it held the best value/performance. While the Asus Z77 Pro, performed only on par to the Extreme6 Z77 for $55 more.

Another thing I see is you insult others when you know you can't say anything good.
  23. How about we forget about it?

Anyway, eddieroolz summarized it very well. I would definitely go for the more expensive board because I would feel more comfortable with it. For me, a motherboard is one of the most important parts because if it fails, everything fails. I'll just quote eddieroolz on a few things that are "right on the money":

Quote:
    Maybe its the expectation that the highest-end board will provide better stability

Exactly. I am assuming that ASUS spent that $70 extra on something besides "brand loyalty" advantages. Maybe it's manufactured a little better... I don't know. What I DO know is that it's a very popular board for high-end gamers/enthusiasts (I'm mid-range myself, so I'm going with the ASRock).

Quote:
    We're merely helpers; we provide tips and suggestions but we don't force the choice down their throat.

Quite right. I don't think the ASRock is a bad board... I'm getting it myself! I just feel much more comfortable recommending an ASUS to someone that has the money to buy it because ASUS in general has a better reputation.

Now, for any review of customer service, or really any consumer-based review, you have to note one thing. People usually will only review a product to either 1) boast of nice overclocks or 2) talk about a problem. If everything's fine, you're not going to post... "month #2 and it hasn't broken! Yay! 5 stars!"... you don't see that. If, however, something broke, you'd want to let other people know, in order to "warn" them. I think ASUS is better because of a collection of opinions I've seen around the interwebs (quite a few from tomshardware). I can't quote any because it's usually a little snippet... but I've always heard good things about ASUS. I'm not a fanboy, by the way... I'm getting the Extreme3 Gen3. I think you'd be fine with either board.

Oh, and did I mention that the Sabertooth just looks absolutely badass? That too. I don't pay extra for looks, but that... that looks great.

Last thing. If you want a REALLY nice-looking case, check out the NZXT Phantom. I like the black with green trim one. It's fairly ordinary in terms of cooling (Thermaltake beats it as a case), but I like the aesthetics. 200mm fans are also a bonus (if you like that). However, it's personal preference.
  24. Haha yes I do agree that Asus makes their boards look good. I just think some people buy it for the wrong reasons though. Like thinking it has a huge performance increase over other boards but in reality it doesn't. A lot of people assume, generally, that more expensive = better performance. Which is not the case, pre-builts are the epitome of that idea.

As for varied views. It's true, Newegg reviews aren't always great in reliablity. BUT! Sometimes they're not bad. But usually yes, you tend to lean towards legit website reviews. Eg. THG or AnAndTech or Guru3D.
  25. hbmc12 said:
    Hello,
    I'm building a new computer and would like some feedback on my parts list.
    case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT snow edition
    PSU: Corsair GS 800
    MB: ASUS Sabertooth z77 LGA 1155
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz
    SSD: Corsair GT-FSSD 120GB SATA 3
    HHD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2 TB
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB Quad channel kit
    GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 560
    Optical Drive: ASUS black blue-ray SATA
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster x-fi PCI express

The only thing I can guess by looking at your parts list is that is it's not for hard core gaming. That build is all show and no go. The 560 is a lower tier card at best and unless you plan on using a laptop as a monitor your going to struggle with FPS on any high end game.

These are just some options to consider.

This case just came out on newegg yesterday and it's gotten great professional reviews across the net.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257 $129.99
    COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3087 <----- another look at that case. Click "Reviews" on the right side of that page.

That psu you have up above is manufactured by CWT for Corsair and it's not one you would ever see recommended on here. This psu down below is manufactured by Seasonic for XFX as are all XFX psu's and the mid and upper tier Corsair psu's (TX/HX/AX). This psu is modular and that's a big plus when making for a clean build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207016 $137.99 - $127.99 after mail-in rebate card
    XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply

Other than FSX I don't know of any games that take advantage of hyper threading.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.910383 $404.98
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX806237I53570K
    ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme6 <----- another look at that board

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-gd65-z77h2-a2x,3187.html <----- That Asrock motherboard included in that review. Notice: over clocking, temps, and power consumption on there.

This CM h/s is new to the market as in it just hit the shelves last week and it's a world beater.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103176 $69.99
    Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm Sleeve with Dual Vertical Vapor Chamber TPC 812 CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2654 <----- that's a review on that h/s. That review was done with a single fan configuration.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm <---- that same h/s on the top 5 chart

This fan down below clips onto the other side of that heat sink up above for a "push - pull effect" to help bring cpu temps down even more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103069 $11.99 FREE SHIPPING
    COOLER MASTER R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 Blade Master 120mm Case Fan

Low profile RAM so you don't impede any after market cpu h/s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231550 $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211588 $104.99 FREE SHIPPING
    ADATA S510 Series AS510S3-120GM-O 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

http://videocardz.com/32728/geforce-gtx-670-review-tweaktown <---- gtx 670 is due out at the end of this week. It will retail for an est. $350 - $400.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product