I have come across an issue with my Radeon 4850 that I can't seem to figure out, even after reading through dozens of past posts in these forums about issues with this seemingly infamous card.
A few days ago I experienced a sudden crashing of my display drivers, with a message popping up at the bottom of the screen saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered." This continued to happen, causing crashes quite frequently. I found a lot of info on different tips to solve this problem, but while I was working through the different solutions it seems to have gotten worse.
Now no message appears, the signal to the monitor just cuts out suddenly (leaving a black screen) or the screen just turns into a set of pastel colored lines; in both cases I have to manually reboot. This happens immediately when I open graphic-intensive games (Skyrim), but it takes anywhere from 2-30 minutes to happen when I load up WoW running on minimum settings. It will also happen at what seems like random when I'm doing nothing other than surfing the internet.
Another strange thing that happens that might help is that most of the time (not always) when I first reboot my computer after this error occurs, the monitor will not pick up the signal. I have to manually power down and then reboot a second time for it to work (and it always has the 2nd time around).
The strangest thing that's happened is that it also crashed when I was in the bios. I imagine this means there's something funky going on with my card, but I want to make sure before I go buy a new one.
I have a decent cooling set-up (Accelero Twin Turbo) on the card, and SensorView says my GPU is idling at 43C w/ my fans running at 25%. Haven't been able to test it running closer to max load, cuz it cuts out when I do.
I'm running the following in my build:
ASUS PQ5L Pro motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz
Power Supply: OCZ technology 500 sxs (500 watt)
I've tried reinstalling my drivers, then I deleted those and tried a version from a year ago I know worked with my card. I updated my bios, cleaned my registry, and other stuff like that. I've tried running video tests using FurMark, but it always cuts my signal out before the test is complete (crashes faster the higher the settings are).