Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Im about to buy amd 7970, but my friend said dont buy amd cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2012 9:55:18 AM

this is my first time to build a PC, im usually play games using ps3 but i sold them to move up into pc gaming, see i was this close of purchasing amd fastest single card 7970 but my friend said amd is not worth the money, he said "amd drivers sucks" whats the point on having powerfull card but the software behind it cant utilize it

see iam a noob, i really dont know a thing about drivers and such

im planning to play witcher2,skyrim,battlefield,mw3,and all other game

is my friend meant that even if i bought 7970 its gonna perform like lower card on nvidia because of lack better driver from amd??

please explain to me, so i dont get any mis information

thx and warm hello from indonesia, pardon my bad english its my 2nd language
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 10:09:28 AM

Well this is half true, amd sometimes have problems in drivers, and some games requires extra patchs to work, 7970 is a great card and will perform great, but you will have to always keep upgrading drivers and searching for the best one, 7970 is a great card, with a new techonology so the price/performance you get is awesome, you could do 3 things, or wait for the 6xx nvidia series to go out, and check the prices, or go ahead and buy the 7970 you will have a good performance for the price, or go and buy a gtx 580 you may be paying a little more but you'll be getting a great nvidia card, with Physx/Cuda/3D Vision Features...

You will be able to play all of those games with the 7970 just sometimes with new releases if you see problems in performance you may need to check online for a fix... but it is a good solution if you know how to work yourself over the internet.
Score
a c 78 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
March 2, 2012 10:15:14 AM

Your "friend" doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Some biased people think nvidias better and some biased people think AMD is. AMD is generally a better value. Go look at benchmarks. If you'd like to see a 7970 on EARLY drivers l stomping all over a GTX 580 that costs the same see below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...

now if he said wait for the nvidia 600s to come out sure that's reasonable, prices may go down. they may be good. and you may still end up buying a 7970. If you want it now get it.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 10:16:52 AM

Always when a new card is released there is pretty much driver problems with performance and stability. This is nothing new and all early adopters of new tech deal with this. Luckily though most problems are solved in a reasonable time frame.

As an 7970 adopter the drivers may not be great at the moment, The card still smashes anything else pretty much and is only going to improve in performance as drivers mature for the GCN architecture
Score
March 2, 2012 10:24:01 AM

ricardois said:
Well this is half true, amd sometimes have problems in drivers, and some games requires extra patchs to work, 7970 is a great card and will perform great, but you will have to always keep upgrading drivers and searching for the best one, 7970 is a great card, with a new techonology so the price/performance you get is awesome, you could do 3 things, or wait for the 6xx nvidia series to go out, and check the prices, or go ahead and buy the 7970 you will have a good performance for the price, or go and buy a gtx 580 you may be paying a little more but you'll be getting a great nvidia card, with Physx/Cuda/3D Vision Features...

You will be able to play all of those games with the 7970 just sometimes with new releases if you see problems in performance you may need to check online for a fix... but it is a good solution if you know how to work yourself over the internet.

+1 :D 
Score
March 2, 2012 10:30:06 AM

so hows 7970 works on latest game like i mentioned above??

im at "this" close to purchase saphire 7970
Score

Best solution

a c 80 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
March 2, 2012 10:33:27 AM

Quote:
this is my first time to build a PC, im usually play games using ps3 but i sold them to move up into pc gaming, see i was this close of purchasing amd fastest single card 7970 but my friend said amd is not worth the money, he said "amd drivers sucks" whats the point on having powerfull card but the software behind it cant utilize it

amd drivers usually do suck. for single cards, they're mostly okay. they screw up more in crossfire support for different games. amd almost always screws up new drivers whenever a new high profile (e.g. skyrim, bf3) game gets released. however, amd's updated drivers get more performance out of higher end cards than they do from lower end cards.
nvidia has its own set of driver issues as well. gaming issues can range from drivers, unbalanced system configurations to the way games are coded (gta4). none of them are perfect.
Quote:
see iam a noob, i really dont know a thing about drivers and such

im planning to play witcher2,skyrim,battlefield,mw3,and all other game

a 7970 or a 7950 will run your listed games well. check out the 7970 reviews available.
Quote:
is my friend meant that even if i bought 7970 its gonna perform like lower card on nvidia because of lack better driver from amd??

please explain to me, so i dont get any mis information

thx and warm hello from indonesia, pardon my bad english its my 2nd language

amd's driver support isn't so bad that a high performance card like 7970 will perform like a low end nvidia card. their drivers usually improve over time.
i guess your friend had some problems with amd cards in the past and never got over it.
amd cards do tend to fall behind lower end nvidia cards when nvidia has their exclusive technologies implemented into a game e.g. physx. however, not many games support physx and it can be turned off in the in-game settings when an amd card is used.
right now, biggest issue with 7970 card is its price. since nvidia has no new cards available in the market, amd is charging extra money for these cards.
edit: some 7970 reviews:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-r...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5314/xfxs-radeon-hd-7970-...
March 2, 2012 11:06:36 AM

Best answer selected by GoodLookingNoob.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 11:42:21 AM

if your cpu is enough powerful then you can run multiple instances (if can) of mw3 at highest possible settings at 1920x1200
Score
March 2, 2012 4:56:50 PM

I've had Ati cards now for a few years, maybe 3? Previously I was always using Nvidia. So I can say that for drivers it is a HUGE misconception that AMD drivers "suck". I play all the latest games and play them all on the highest settings (even if it gives me less than the performance I'd like, what can I say, I love graphics =) ). Now I'd say maybe 5+ years ago I'd give it to your friend that they didn't have the best drivers, but since AMD took over their drivers aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. For the price/performance usually AMD is pretty good, but the 7970 is the best single card gpu atm so they can charge what they want.
Score
!