Xbox Licensing deal?

Jordan

First thing I saw on Yahoo today...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050630/ap_on_hi_te/japan_microsoft

Microsoft Might License Xbox Software

By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer 1 hour, 45 minutes ago

TOKYO - Forget the video game console - your TV could already have
the brains to play those games. A coy Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates
hinted Thursday that his company might license the software underlying
its Xbox gaming machine to a variety of outside companies in a bid to
expand the market share for the Xbox machine - a platform that trails
the sector's No. 1 Sony PlayStation.

The U.S. software company is considering offering "the basic software"
for Xbox, although no decision has been made, Microsoft Japan spokesman
Kazushi Okabe said Thursday, confirming the Gates' comments reported in
Thursday's editions of Japan's top business daily Nihon Keizai Shimbun.

Gates hasn't offered specifics about the kind of software or which
companies would be involved. He also hasn't said whether the
arrangement will involve manufacturers making products other than game
machines, such as digital consumer electronics gadgets that combine PC
functions with home appliances.

The arrangements being considered are similar to those that Microsoft
has employed in the past by working with other companies, including
Japanese electronics makers, to install its Windows operating system in
personal computers, Okabe said.

It's unclear whether such gadgets will carry the Xbox brand name or
some other name, and whether the software that may become available to
outsiders will be Xbox or Xbox 360.

Microsoft plans to start selling its next-generation game machine Xbox
360 later this year while Sony plans to introduce the PlayStation 3
next spring.

The Redmond, Wash.-based firm hopes the head start will cut into Sony's
lead in the market, and has been trying to appeal to Japanese consumers
by attracting top Japanese designers to create games for Xbox 360.

Sony's PlayStation 2 controls more than half the world's video game
market, while Xbox and Nintendo Co.'s GameCube split the rest.

Ken Kutaragi, who heads Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).'s video-game unit,
has said that the computer chip that powers PlayStation 3 called "cell"
will likely be used in other digital audiovisual products from the
Japanese electronics maker.

PlayStation 3 will also play the next-generation DVD format that Sony
is backing called Blu-ray Disc. Xbox 360 will run the current DVD
standard, although Gates says that could be expanded to next-generation
versions in the future.

Jordan

"PlayStation 3 will also play the next-generation DVD format that Sony
is backing called Blu-ray Disc. Xbox 360 will run the current DVD
standard, although Gates says that could be expanded to next-generation
versions in the future. "

I just wanted to add.... this whole wishy washy stance on DVD or HDDVD
is stupid. People won't want to buy a DVD equipped Xbox 360 if they're
being told that later on down the road an HDDVD version might be
available.

- Jordan

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> First thing I saw on Yahoo today...

> PlayStation 3 will also play the next-generation DVD format that Sony
> is backing called Blu-ray Disc. Xbox 360 will run the current DVD
> standard, although Gates says that could be expanded to next-generation
> versions in the future.

That's bull. Do it now or never!

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Jordan wrote:
> "PlayStation 3 will also play the next-generation DVD format that Sony
> is backing called Blu-ray Disc. Xbox 360 will run the current DVD
> standard, although Gates says that could be expanded to next-generation
> versions in the future. "
>
> I just wanted to add.... this whole wishy washy stance on DVD or HDDVD
> is stupid. People won't want to buy a DVD equipped Xbox 360 if they're
> being told that later on down the road an HDDVD version might be
> available.
>
> - Jordan

I think I read somewhere that you will be able to swap the DVD drive
without voiding your warranty, is that right? or is that only the HDD?

-Adrian

"Adrian" <What-a-rave!@askmeifyou.want> wrote in message
> Jordan wrote:
>> "PlayStation 3 will also play the next-generation DVD format that Sony
>> is backing called Blu-ray Disc. Xbox 360 will run the current DVD
>> standard, although Gates says that could be expanded to next-generation
>> versions in the future. "
>>
>> I just wanted to add.... this whole wishy washy stance on DVD or HDDVD
>> is stupid. People won't want to buy a DVD equipped Xbox 360 if they're
>> being told that later on down the road an HDDVD version might be
>> available.
>>
>> - Jordan
>>

> I think I read somewhere that you will be able to swap the DVD drive
> without voiding your warranty, is that right? or is that only the HDD?
>
> -Adrian

Only the HDD unless they make some way to remove the DVD drive without
opening the case.

Jordan <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I just wanted to add.... this whole wishy washy stance on DVD or HDDVD
> is stupid. People won't want to buy a DVD equipped Xbox 360 if they're
> being told that later on down the road an HDDVD version might be
> available.

Not to mention making life even more confusing for the poor retailers who
will now have to deal with 2 different Xbox360 models.

Unless there's going to be movie or other video content released on HD
DVD, why should I care what format my game console supports?

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Jordan <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to add.... this whole wishy washy stance on DVD or HDDVD
>> is stupid. People won't want to buy a DVD equipped Xbox 360 if they're
>> being told that later on down the road an HDDVD version might be
>> available.
>
> Not to mention making life even more confusing for the poor retailers who
> will now have to deal with 2 different Xbox360 models.
>
> Unless there's going to be movie or other video content released on HD
> DVD, why should I care what format my game console supports?

You haven't been paying attention. Warners alone is promising 49 titles for
the HD-DVD launch. Paramount and Universal are onboard as well. And why else
do you think Sony bought MGM?

It's going to be price, not lack of movies, that keeps people away at first.
Hopefully one of them will catch on sooner than later as another protracted
format war a la SACD vs. DVD-Audio is the last thing the consumer needs.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> Jordan <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>I just wanted to add.... this whole wishy washy stance on DVD or HDDVD
>>is stupid. People won't want to buy a DVD equipped Xbox 360 if they're
>>being told that later on down the road an HDDVD version might be
>>available.
>

> Not to mention making life even more confusing for the poor retailers who
> will now have to deal with 2 different Xbox360 models.
>
> Unless there's going to be movie or other video content released on HD
> DVD, why should I care what format my game console supports?

It's one of the goals of HD-DVD -- to develop a format for publishing
high resolution video format -- so it's a fair bet that it will be used
in that way. Also, some games might start showing up on the format. If
history is any measure, content can always expand to fill any given
capacity.

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> First thing I saw on Yahoo today...
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050630/ap_on_hi_te/japan_microsoft
>
> Microsoft Might License Xbox Software

Yes. It is about time that a standard game console was defined. It is
stupid to have Nitindo, Sony, and MS making consoles. We need games, not
more consoles. Pick a standard and write all games to that standard.

Earl Grieda wrote:

> It is about time that a standard game console was
> defined. It is stupid to have Nitindo, Sony, and
> MS making consoles. We need games, not more
> consoles. Pick a standard and write all games to
> that standard.

That's a good idea -- the 3DO certainly worked out well. (The latter
part of that is sarcastic, but I genuinely believe that a standard
console is a good idea, even if it's not probable.)

Earl Grieda <egriedaNOT@zahooyahoowahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes. It is about time that a standard game console was defined. It is
> stupid to have Nitindo, Sony, and MS making consoles. We need games, not
> more consoles. Pick a standard and write all games to that standard.

It already exists. It's called "DirectX", and has been part of Windows
since Win95.

DirectX may be a good thing for PCs, but you probably don't want DirectX
running on your console... That is, unless you want "game consoles" to
resemble pizza-box style 1U servers crammed with so much PC hardware that
the noise from the fans alone is considered a biohazzard.

Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote:

> It's one of the goals of HD-DVD -- to develop a format for publishing
> high resolution video format -- so it's a fair bet that it will be used
> in that way. Also, some games might start showing up on the format. If
> history is any measure, content can always expand to fill any given
> capacity.

I know that one of the main goals of HD-DVD is to make movies available in
native HDTV resolutions.

However, the next-gen DVD war isn't quite over. And consumers are not
going to stand for another VHS vs. Beta debacle.

Xbox360 could include a HD-DVD drive, if for no other reason than to
release games on that media.

But I doubt people are going to consider buying a 360 as an early next-gen
DVD player.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote:
>

>>It's one of the goals of HD-DVD -- to develop a format for publishing
>>high resolution video format -- so it's a fair bet that it will be used
>>in that way. Also, some games might start showing up on the format. If
>>history is any measure, content can always expand to fill any given
>>capacity.
>

> I know that one of the main goals of HD-DVD is to make movies available in
> native HDTV resolutions.

Yeah baby!

> However, the next-gen DVD war isn't quite over. And consumers are not
> going to stand for another VHS vs. Beta debacle.

It seems that Toshiba and Sony are getting closer to agreement no? I
haven't checked the news on that recently.

> Xbox360 could include a HD-DVD drive, if for no other reason than to
> release games on that media.

You seriously think so Doug? I dunno. If they include a HD-DVD (down the
pipe, I don't think initially), it'll be aimed more so towards watching
HD media on your xbox.IMO, games really don't need any more space; not
too many xbox games use more than 4.7 as is, with the exception of those
that have WAY too many bloated cut scenes. Of course, like Grinder said,
I'm sure where this is a will, there is a way. I guess I don't care so
much about that aspect of HD. I'm thinking that HD movie playback (for
the masses) will be the hotter ticket (by a long shot). DVD still owns
the market, so for the interim, just some upscaling will probably
suffice; perhaps they'll decide to release the HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, or
hybrid at a latter time.

> But I doubt people are going to consider buying a 360 as an early next-gen
> DVD player.

I sure as heck will. Why not? It's already a game player; that's
definitely icing on the cake. Contrarily, the xbox is the best media hub
(if only for its sheer size of file compatiblities and beautiful GUI) on
the market today for the living room, bar none. It only seems logical
then, the next level of native 1080i (1080p :( ) and 720p support with
the xbox 360. Keep in mind the xbox 1 can ALMOST do this, some can that
are outfitted with more ram and higher clocked PIIIs. I think it'd be a
no brainer for the xbox 360, with the right software devs (preferably
not MS and all their DRM splendor). I'm sure those lads see the market
there, it's barely been penetrated yet; all lackluster hubs and
obtrusive HTPCs makes Jack a dull boy.

Jordan wrote:
> . Xbox 360 will run the current DVD
> standard, although Gates says that could be expanded to next-generation
> versions in the future.

IMHO, he surely will once he finds out what the next gen version is :)
Too early to tell. Japan has been using blu-ray for awhile now though; I
guess it all boils down to Hollywood adoption and cost vs. compatibility
for us (at least me).

> Earl Grieda <egriedaNOT@zahooyahoowahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes. It is about time that a standard game console was defined. It is
>> stupid to have Nitindo, Sony, and MS making consoles. We need games, not
>> more consoles. Pick a standard and write all games to that standard.
>
> It already exists. It's called "DirectX", and has been part of Windows
> since Win95.
>
> DirectX may be a good thing for PCs, but you probably don't want DirectX
> running on your console... That is, unless you want "game consoles" to
> resemble pizza-box style 1U servers crammed with so much PC hardware that
> the noise from the fans alone is considered a biohazzard.

DirectX is the heart of the Xbox. It's where the X in Xbox came from.

They stripped out most of the other parts of Windows and left the core
DirectX with other stuff required for an optimized OS for videogaming. Use
of much of the off the shelf hardware is why the Xbox is so big.

James Duncan wrote:
> "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
>
>>Earl Grieda <egriedaNOT@zahooyahoowahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Yes. It is about time that a standard game console was defined. It is
>>>stupid to have Nitindo, Sony, and MS making consoles. We need games, not
>>>more consoles. Pick a standard and write all games to that standard.
>>
>>It already exists. It's called "DirectX", and has been part of Windows
>>since Win95.
>>
>>DirectX may be a good thing for PCs, but you probably don't want DirectX
>>running on your console... That is, unless you want "game consoles" to
>>resemble pizza-box style 1U servers crammed with so much PC hardware that
>>the noise from the fans alone is considered a biohazzard.
>

> DirectX is the heart of the Xbox. It's where the X in Xbox came from.
>
> They stripped out most of the other parts of Windows and left the core
> DirectX with other stuff required for an optimized OS for videogaming. Use
> of much of the off the shelf hardware is why the Xbox is so big.

Exactly my thoughts too but I didn't want to rain in on Doug's fun and
frivolity :)

"DirectX Box" indeed was the dev name.

....And 1U servers form factor looks a helluva lot more appealing to me
than the current design :) What gives Doug? heheheheh......

XBOX:

......Although the Xbox is based on commodity PC hardware and runs a
stripped-down version of the Windows 2000 kernel using APIs based
largely on DirectX, it incorporates restrictions designed to prevent
uses not approved by Microsoft.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox

XBOX 360

......“I’d be very surprised if these hardware features were implemented
on the PC any time soon,” we’re told. “Microsoft has a very specific
revision of DirectX (or Windows Graphics Foundation) for Xbox 360, just
as they did with Xbox 1. DirectX for the PC includes no hardware
specific instructions, because DirectX has to be 10 times more generic
to work on a PC platform and the myriad of hardware configurations. I
don’t think it will happen. Plus the architecture of the Xbox 360 is
closed box – that means we can do special things there which have no
comparison in the PC space......

Quote by Richard Huddy

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/06/10/richard_huddy_ati/1.html