Taskbar Icons

My taskbar icons won't let me put them in the correct order. Had this
problem many years ago (early win 95 days). Can't remember the fix for it,
but I'm sure it's different for XP Pro. All latest updates have been
installed. Can anybody tell me what to do so I can put the icons in the
correct order that I want them in.
Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about taskbar icons

    JCO,
    As for the Taskbar question... In the center section of the taskbar, the
    items will go in in the order for which you opened the programs involved...
    As for the SYSTRAY portion, I don't believe you have much control over it..
    Now, if you are talking about the Quick Launch bar, you can drag them right
    or left to your hearts content and position them the way you want them.. In
    XP you have to RIGHT click and empty spot on the Taskbar and select UNLOCK
    taskbar before you can do this. If you have a lot of items on the QL bar,
    when you click the little >>, you can change the order of the menu by
    dragging them up or down... When you are done, you probably will want to go
    back and LOCK the taskbar the way you want it.
    HTH,
    --
    Burt
    The Old Alaskan

    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My taskbar icons won't let me put them in the correct order. Had this
    > problem many years ago (early win 95 days). Can't remember the fix for
    > it,
    > but I'm sure it's different for XP Pro. All latest updates have been
    > installed. Can anybody tell me what to do so I can put the icons in the
    > correct order that I want them in.
    > Thanks

    I'm talking about the Quick Launch Icons. My tool bar is unlocked. I
    ordered the icons in groups that I want. When I reboot, they all change to
    an undesired order. Something is corrupted.

    "Burt" <smokydog@damnthespamalaska.net> wrote in message
    > JCO,
    > As for the Taskbar question... In the center section of the taskbar,
    the
    > items will go in in the order for which you opened the programs
    involved...
    > As for the SYSTRAY portion, I don't believe you have much control over
    it..
    > Now, if you are talking about the Quick Launch bar, you can drag them
    right
    > or left to your hearts content and position them the way you want them..
    In
    > XP you have to RIGHT click and empty spot on the Taskbar and select UNLOCK
    > taskbar before you can do this. If you have a lot of items on the QL bar,
    > when you click the little >>, you can change the order of the menu by
    > dragging them up or down... When you are done, you probably will want to
    go
    > back and LOCK the taskbar the way you want it.
    > HTH,
    > --
    > Burt
    > The Old Alaskan
    > MVP's listed on TECKPAGE
    > http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog
    > http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog/teckpage.htm
    >
    > " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My taskbar icons won't let me put them in the correct order. Had this
    > > problem many years ago (early win 95 days). Can't remember the fix for
    > > it,
    > > but I'm sure it's different for XP Pro. All latest updates have been
    > > installed. Can anybody tell me what to do so I can put the icons in the
    > > correct order that I want them in.
    > > Thanks

    The store may be corrupt. Type regedit in Start Run and delete all these keys. Then read the last section carefully (Apply to All).

    Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things like saved folder settings.
    Type Regedit in Start - Run
    Click Start - Turn Off Computer (or maybe Shutdown) - Ctrl + Alt + Shift + click Cancel (or Close) (your Desktop and Start Menu now disappear). This is a clean shutdown unlike using Task Manager.

    In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and delete the value
    Shellstate

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState and delete the value
    Settings

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU (may not exist)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
    [the above one is what reset deletes, 90% of the time it is sufficient but 10% of the time the BagMRU needs to be deleted too. If you know what cross linked files are the same thing is happening here - the BagMRU point to the wrong Bag or serveral BagMRU point to the same bag]

    Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come back).

    You then need to reconfigure explorer and the desktop.

    Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders
    In Windows 2000 Professional, the view you use is not always permanently saved in Windows Explorer. You can control whether the views you use are saved permanently or temporarily by using the Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see figure 9.3).

    By default the Remember each folder's view settings option is enabled. When you choose to leave this setting enabled, the following happens:

    a.. The changes you make to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder.
    b.. The view you use to view one folder is not applied to other folders.
    c.. When you open a folder, it opens in the view you used when you last viewed it.
    When you clear the check box for Remember each folder's view settings, the following happens:

    a.. When you start Windows Explorer, the first folder you view displays in the folder's saved view. Windows Explorer holds that view in temporary memory and applies it to all the folders that you visit while Windows Explorer remains open unless you manually alter the view.
    b.. As you browse to other folders (after the initial folder is opened), the saved view for each folder is ignored, and when you quit Windows Explorer, the folder view that you have been using to view multiple folders is deleted from temporary memory.
    c.. The next time you open Windows Explorer, once again, it is the saved view of the first folder you open that determines how you view multiple folders.
    Setting All Folders to the Same View
    Some users want to have all their Windows Explorer folders set to the same view. In Windows 2000 Professional, the default setting is that any change made to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder and is not applied to other folders. However, you can set all folders to the same view by using the Folder Options command as described in the following procedure.

    To set all folders to the same view
    1.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, set the view to your preference.
    2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3.. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.
    4.. Under Folder Views, click Like Current Folder.
    Important The Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see Figure 9.3) affects how the view settings of individual folders are applied and saved. For more information about the impact of clearing this check box, see "Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders" earlier in this chapter.

    Windows 2000 Resource Kit

    And check

    NoSaveSettings
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Data type Range Default value
    REG_DWORD 0 | 1 0

    Description
    Prevents users from saving certain changes to the
    desktop. Users can change the desktop, but some changes,
    such as the positions of open windows and the size and
    position of the taskbar, are not saved when users log
    off. Shortcuts placed on the desktop are always saved.

    This entry stores the setting of the Don't save settings
    at exit Group Policy. Group Policy adds this entry to the
    registry with a value of 1 when you enable the policy. If
    you disable the policy or set it to Not configured, Group
    Policy deletes the entry from the registry and the system
    behaves as though the value is 0.

    Value Meaning
    0 (or not in registry) The policy is disabled or
    not configured. Changes to the desktop are saved.
    1 The policy is enabled. Some changes to the desktop are not saved.

    Windows 2000 Resource Kit Reference

    Saved folder settings are stored in BagMRU. Defaults and network/removable drives are stored in Streams key (as everything was in earlier versions).

    You have to do Apply To All while in a file folder.
    For each type of object (File Folder, Control Panel, My Computer, etc) that you do an Apply to All in it's clsid and the settings are created/updated at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults

    {F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837} is ordinary folders, and other numbers are what ever they are (My Comp, Control Panel, etc - note My Docs is an ordinary folder). They only appear IF you do an apply to all in that type of object.

    as well as a higher set of defaults at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    Settings=

    So the point being in the order that you do things. You want to do your overall default setting last. This is how I advised someone who asked

    > Can someone please tell me how to force Windows to keep
    > the seperate folder view settings I choose? I have
    > checked and rechecked the box in folder options for it to
    > remember, but it has no memory for that issue. To be more
    > specific; I want to always have the thumbnail view in My
    > Pictures and also in the Control Panel Dialog, but every
    > time I open them I have to manually set that view.

    Set Control Panel how you want then Tools - View - Apply To All Folders. This sets the global default and the Control Panel type of objects defaults (but the system default remains the same - it can't be changed but all other defaults/settings override it). Then go to an ordinary folder (as My Pics is for this feature) and set it how you want all folders but CP. Then Tools - View - Apply To All Folders. This sets the global default and the file folder type of object defaults (CP's default settings will still override the global). Then set My Pics how you want it and do nothing else as we are saving it by the checkbox Remember Folder Settings AND BY THE PATH WE GOT THERE. EG

    Desktop\My Comp\C:\Documents & Settings\user name\My Docs\My Pics
    is a different setting to
    Desktop\My Comp\My Docs\My Pics

    There is some searching for similar settings but the path used, if too different, means it won't find the settings for similar named folders.

    The system defaults (and saved settings for individual folders already opened) are the only setting unless you've done an Apply To All, eg no global or type defaults.

    Plus if you hold down control and click close while in a file folder it also updates
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Shellstate=

    This is mainly setting irrelevent things except it holds the global sort, which all the others override. But File Open dialog boxes only use this setting, so it basically only affects sorting in File Open dialogs. But it seems that sometimes an earlier windows versions setting get written here and other settings then aren't saved

    http://www.uscricket.com
    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:QCqud.3852$E_6.679@trnddc04...
    > I'm talking about the Quick Launch Icons. My tool bar is unlocked. I
    > ordered the icons in groups that I want. When I reboot, they all change to
    > an undesired order. Something is corrupted.
    >

    > "Burt" <smokydog@damnthespamalaska.net> wrote in message
    >> JCO,
    >> As for the Taskbar question... In the center section of the taskbar,
    > the
    >> items will go in in the order for which you opened the programs
    > involved...
    >> As for the SYSTRAY portion, I don't believe you have much control over
    > it..
    >> Now, if you are talking about the Quick Launch bar, you can drag them
    > right
    >> or left to your hearts content and position them the way you want them..
    > In
    >> XP you have to RIGHT click and empty spot on the Taskbar and select UNLOCK
    >> taskbar before you can do this. If you have a lot of items on the QL bar,
    >> when you click the little >>, you can change the order of the menu by
    >> dragging them up or down... When you are done, you probably will want to
    > go
    >> back and LOCK the taskbar the way you want it.
    >> HTH,
    >> --
    >> Burt
    >> The Old Alaskan
    >> MVP's listed on TECKPAGE
    >> http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog
    >> http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog/teckpage.htm
    >>
    >> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > My taskbar icons won't let me put them in the correct order. Had this
    >> > problem many years ago (early win 95 days). Can't remember the fix for
    >> > it,
    >> > but I'm sure it's different for XP Pro. All latest updates have been
    >> > installed. Can anybody tell me what to do so I can put the icons in the
    >> > correct order that I want them in.
    >> > Thanks

    I did everything you said but it did not work.
    After rebooting, I reconfigured everything .. rebooted again and it went
    back to the wrong positions. What is strange about this.... I have 5-users
    on the is pc. Only one user has this problem. All other users seem to work
    fine.

    Is the HKCU only displayed for the person that is logged on?
    When you switch users, does the HKCU change completely for that person?
    Just wondering because after clearing all the keys, it only affected the
    user that was logged on. I did not have to reconfigure or change anything
    for the other users.

    Any other ideas?

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message

> [...]

    >> when you click the little >>, you can change the order of the menu by
    >> dragging them up or down... When you are done, you probably will want to
    > go
    >> back and LOCK the taskbar the way you want it.
    >> HTH,
    >> --
    >> Burt
    >> The Old Alaskan
    >> MVP's listed on TECKPAGE
    >> http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog
    >> http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog/teckpage.htm
    >>
    >> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > My taskbar icons won't let me put them in the correct order. Had this
    >> > problem many years ago (early win 95 days). Can't remember the fix for
    >> > it,
    >> > but I'm sure it's different for XP Pro. All latest updates have been
    >> > installed. Can anybody tell me what to do so I can put the icons in

    In fact, now every time I reboot, the quick launch is not displayed. I have
    to always reset it to display.

> [...]

    >> when you click the little >>, you can change the order of the menu by
    >> dragging them up or down... When you are done, you probably will want to
    > go
    >> back and LOCK the taskbar the way you want it.
    >> HTH,
    >> --
    >> Burt
    >> The Old Alaskan
    >> MVP's listed on TECKPAGE
    >> http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog
    >> http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog/teckpage.htm
    >>
    >> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > My taskbar icons won't let me put them in the correct order. Had this
    >> > problem many years ago (early win 95 days). Can't remember the fix for
    >> > it,
    >> > but I'm sure it's different for XP Pro. All latest updates have been
    >> > installed. Can anybody tell me what to do so I can put the icons in

    Fortunately I recovered from an image and can try this again to see if I can
    perfect it.
    Thanks anyway.

> [...]

    >> when you click the little >>, you can change the order of the menu by
    >> dragging them up or down... When you are done, you probably will want to
    > go
    >> back and LOCK the taskbar the way you want it.
    >> HTH,
    >> --
    >> Burt
    >> The Old Alaskan
    >> MVP's listed on TECKPAGE
    >> http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog
    >> http://www.cvinternet.net/~smokydog/teckpage.htm
    >>
    >> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > My taskbar icons won't let me put them in the correct order. Had this
    >> > problem many years ago (early win 95 days). Can't remember the fix for
    >> > it,
    >> > but I'm sure it's different for XP Pro. All latest updates have been
    >> > installed. Can anybody tell me what to do so I can put the icons in

Configuration Taskbar Customization Icons Windows XP