ATI Radeon HD 4890

bigchili

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hello All!!
I've been searching these forums for a while now looking for my answer and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I recently bought my son a Radeon HD 4890.

Right out of the box the fan makes an unbearable noise. Messing with the fan speed in catalyst will make the fan almost bearable but you have to set it to about 35%. not a big deal even under heave load and a constant fan speed of 35% the GPU never gets close to high temps.

The question is, I want to replace the fan. I would like to replace JUST the fan, and not buy a whole cooling "system" with fans/sinks/and whatever else... I will if i have to, but ...

So could anyone out there tell me a fan that could just replace the existing fan.

If there isn't one out there, could you let me know if the Artic Cooling Twin Turbo - would fit and still be compatible with Catalyst...

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
chili

Solution
If under warranty, I would exchange the HD4890. If not, finding a replacement fan will be very difficult.

The selected replacement (aftermarket) cooler should work just fine if you need to go that route. Just take your time and follow the instructions for mounting it (it takes time (you'll see what I mean).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If under warranty, I would exchange the HD4890. If not, finding a replacement fan will be very difficult.

The selected replacement (aftermarket) cooler should work just fine if you need to go that route. Just take your time and follow the instructions for mounting it (it takes time (you'll see what I mean).

Solution

bigchili

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Thanks, for the reply - I figured getting just a "fan" would be difficult, I was just thinking of saving the few dollars over the aftermarket Twin Turbo.

I guess I will just order that - I really appreciate your help!! (looks like I have found a new place to geek out - I love these forums!!!)

chili

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Tom's Forums are one of the best sites on the 'Net for geek exchange. We do get wonky, however, when it comes to bashing all things Apple and we can get a bit silly when it comes to political discussions. Otherwise, it doesn't get any better than Tom's!

bigchili

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
The Twin Turbo came a couple of days ago, and I had to wait for my son to allow me to dismantle his PC for at least 6 hours, but I followed the instructions (which were easy) and it installed flawlessly.. I had to put my finger on the fans to make sure they were actually working, and were increasing in speed because they are so quiet..

Thanks, for the help..

chili