Oc Gpu Helps improve what?Radeon 5570Hd

Rockermtl1988

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hey guys had a couple questions was wondering if someone could help me out

i just got a new Pc and i had to put my old video card in it(radeon 5570hd) the integrated video card on the motherboard wasnt as good for games my FPS dropped alot.

In what way does Overclocking a Gpu help in performance?

My Gpu Meter
Gpu Clock 600MHz
Memory Clock 667Mhz (used0,free0,total0.)
The temp is always around 44'C and 6%-7% usage while browsing the net.
In games(Swtor,Rift)temp is about 55"C usage is maxed 99%
I've never seen the Rpm for my fan go on, is that cause the video card isn't heating up so the fan not going on?under the fan their is a usage bar saying 45%? not sure what thats for.
My Fps in games is about 25Fps while questing and about 5-10Fps in groups/raids/bgs

I'm sorta new to the whole Oc thing and I wanted to know in what way by doing this would it help me out

The specs of my new Pc:
Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Sandy Bridge Processor 3.3GHZ 6MB Cache
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
8GB Corsair DDR3 Memory
1 Terrabyte Seagate 7200rpm Hard Driv

The person that made the computer for me told me that if i wanted to Oc my CPU that i had to buy a better heatsink the one i got is Stock. Would this cause any problems trying to Oc a GPU?

i do plan on buying a new video card in time just don't have the cash flow for it right now. if anyone can maybe help me out or just give me some advice for the mean time it would be much appreciated

Solution
Yeah I wouldnt bother lowering the resolution, just dropping the game quality down, because overclocking that card would really not even be worth the time and effort. If you really wanted to, go download MSI Afterburner and play around with it a bit.

I was actually in the same boat as you a year ago and ended up damaging my 5570, so I bought a 6950 and have been extremely happy ever since! :)

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
First off I would like to say that the specs for your new PC are very nice.

Now that being said, and I am sure you know this, your graphics card is a low-mid level card, just a few steps up from the integrated graphics cards. The framerates that you are seeing in games do seem very low, what screen resolution are you using and what kind of graphics quality are you playing the games on?

To answer your question, no, the heatsink that you have on your CPU will have no effect on overclocking your GPU. But to be honest with you, if you overclocked your GPU, you may see 5-10 FPS increase at the very very best, and that will still make for terrible gameplay.

Your best bet is to get a new graphics card ASAP.

Rockermtl1988

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Thanks for the compliment everyone keeps telling me i got a great deal on this Pc.Was worth the 580$ i guess:)(alien 51 case)

My screen resolution is at 1980x1080 on HDTV 40inch and i play on high graphics with shadier turned off:p lol i know i can get it up by lowering the reso and putting down the graphics but was kinda hoping i could push this video card do a little more for me for in the mean time.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah I wouldnt bother lowering the resolution, just dropping the game quality down, because overclocking that card would really not even be worth the time and effort. If you really wanted to, go download MSI Afterburner and play around with it a bit.

I was actually in the same boat as you a year ago and ended up damaging my 5570, so I bought a 6950 and have been extremely happy ever since! :)

Solution