Am I being crazy

jomoreb

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
hello there...i am in the process of assembling this PC..It has COOLER MASTER COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASRock X79 EXTREME7 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I have started setting up this PC, I am waiting on the Heatsink to come in so I have not installed the processor. I just have the power supply, ram and fans set up...I just plugged in the power cable and pushed the the power button and nothing happened...shouldnt some light come on or something or am I being crazy?

Solution
Its alittle crazy turning on the power without a CPU installed, if you wanted to test out the fans or something you could short the PSU so it supplies power to the fans without supplying power to the motherboard.

All you have to do to short a PSU is connect the green 24 pin cable to any black cable with a paper clip, just make sure that no HDD's/Motherboards/RAM ETC are connected to the PSU at the time.

I wouldn't recommend powering on a PC without a CPU and cooler installed.
Its alittle crazy turning on the power without a CPU installed, if you wanted to test out the fans or something you could short the PSU so it supplies power to the fans without supplying power to the motherboard.

All you have to do to short a PSU is connect the green 24 pin cable to any black cable with a paper clip, just make sure that no HDD's/Motherboards/RAM ETC are connected to the PSU at the time.

I wouldn't recommend powering on a PC without a CPU and cooler installed.

Solution

jomoreb

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for that...am not even going to attempt the PSU shorting...am just going to wait to 2morrow evening when the heatsink comes in to try it...I just got a bit antsy...and just wanted to see some lights and fans move lol...dont judge me..lol

jomoreb

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

thanks...will post back tomorrow...either freaking out or feeling like a genius...

TRENDING THREADS