HELP SETTLE A DEBATE

My buddy just got a dual layer dvd burner for his home computer. He is
trying to tell me that he will be able to make copies of Xbox games. I told
him there was no way. Don't Xbox games require some kind of special disc
that cannot be purchased or have some kind of special encoding or something
that prevents them from being copied?

I bet him $50 that he wouldn't be able to burn games. Am I going to lose my
money?

Joel Britt wrote:
> My buddy just got a dual layer dvd burner for his home computer. He is
> trying to tell me that he will be able to make copies of Xbox games. I told
> him there was no way. Don't Xbox games require some kind of special disc
> that cannot be purchased or have some kind of special encoding or something
> that prevents them from being copied?
>
> I bet him $50 that he wouldn't be able to burn games. Am I going to lose my
> money?

If his box is modded he can. Since you didn't mention his box being
modded I'd have to say no.

Swi

Joel Britt <joelbritt@wowway.com> wrote:

> I bet him $50 that he wouldn't be able to burn games. Am I going to lose my
> money?

Yes you have.

Xbox games are just single-layer DVDs. Nothing special there. Only the
GameCube uses a strange format that is unreadable and unwritable by DVD
players.

Joel Britt <joelbritt@wowway.com> wrote:

>> I bet him $50 that he wouldn't be able to burn
>> games. Am I going to lose my money?

It all depends on how simplistic of a view your friend
has. I'll defer to others' responses for that answer.

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> Yes you have [lost your money].
>
> Xbox games are just single-layer DVDs. Nothing special there.

Some discs contain more than a single-layer DVD's capacity,
so I suspect those are dual-layered. There is also some
distinction between DVD-ROMs (stamped) and DVD-R/DVD+R
(burned) that may be relevant -- I'm unsure what the xbox
picks up on to spot burned discs.

> Only the GameCube uses a strange format that is unreadable
> and unwritable by DVD players.

The Xbox also uses a proprietary, unpublished format. To
my knowledge, there is no driver available to permit a PC
to read it. You could always use a block/disc editor to
grab data, I suppose... No matter, as in both cases, you
can simply get the console to read the disc, then shuttle
the data over to the PC.

At any rate, just offering a few extra thoughts without any
intent to start a secondary debate.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:11:09 -0400, "Joel Britt"
<joelbritt@wowway.com> Gave us:

>My buddy just got a dual layer dvd burner for his home computer. He is
>trying to tell me that he will be able to make copies of Xbox games. I told
>him there was no way. Don't Xbox games require some kind of special disc
>that cannot be purchased or have some kind of special encoding or something
>that prevents them from being copied?
>
>I bet him $50 that he wouldn't be able to burn games. Am I going to lose my
>money?

Burning a copy isn't the problem. Using it is.

The X-box only reads and runs games that are STAMPED.

There are no "BURNED" X-box games as software vendors STAMP discs,
not BURN them. That means that the inner hub on the disc, as well as
other "features" can be STAMPED onto the disc that cannot be placed on
a BURNED copy.

In other words, there is more to a stamped disc than merely the
readable data stream on it.

The copied disc will be playable IF the user opens the X-box, and
makes a certain hardware modification therein.

So, depending on the wording of the bet, you are either safe, or you
will lose the bet.

He CAN make a copy, but it will NOT be playable on a standard unit.
It will be a different media, as recognized by the X-box, which sets
the flag that disallows its use.

If the hardware gets modded, the flag doesn't get seen, and the disc
"plays".

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:53:13 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
Gave us:

>-- I'm unsure what the xbox
>picks up on to spot burned discs.

It is a different media. Recognizable by all readers and their
underlying links(drivers) to an Operating System.

TokaMundo wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:11:09 -0400, "Joel Britt"
> <joelbritt@wowway.com> Gave us:
>

>>My buddy just got a dual layer dvd burner for his home computer. He is
>>trying to tell me that he will be able to make copies of Xbox games. I told
>>him there was no way. Don't Xbox games require some kind of special disc
>>that cannot be purchased or have some kind of special encoding or something
>>that prevents them from being copied?
>>
>>I bet him $50 that he wouldn't be able to burn games. Am I going to lose my
>>money?
>>

> Burning a copy isn't the problem. Using it is.
>
> The X-box only reads and runs games that are STAMPED.
>
> There are no "BURNED" X-box games as software vendors STAMP discs,
> not BURN them. That means that the inner hub on the disc, as well as
> other "features" can be STAMPED onto the disc that cannot be placed on
> a BURNED copy.
>
> In other words, there is more to a stamped disc than merely the
> readable data stream on it.
>
> The copied disc will be playable IF the user opens the X-box, and
> makes a certain hardware modification therein.

Not to distract from your point, but you can technically make the
necessary modifications without needing to install hardware.

> So, depending on the wording of the bet, you are either safe, or you
> will lose the bet.
>
> He CAN make a copy, but it will NOT be playable on a standard unit.
> It will be a different media, as recognized by the X-box, which sets
> the flag that disallows its use.
>
> If the hardware gets modded, the flag doesn't get seen, and the disc
> "plays".

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:15:15 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
Gave us:

>Not to distract from your point, but you can technically make the
>necessary modifications without needing to install hardware.

Well, technically, the "mod" is not an installation, but a mere
change of configuration...

It isn't a hardware installation, it is the mere disabling of a
chip pin, as in detaching it, from what I was told. I haven't looked
it up on google yet, I was merely going by what I heard from an old
fan of the X-box.

I didn't mention "installing" anything as I recall though. I merely
mentioned "changes".

I buy all my games.

Well it has nothing to do with a dual layer burner...most Xbox games are not
even 4 gigs.

IF your friend has a modded Xbox, and it's on his LAN, and he has the proper
FTP software and the C-Xbox tools then yes, he can copy Xbox games on
standard DVD-R media.

But without all that, hell no.

"TokaMundo" <TokaMundo@weedizgood.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:11:09 -0400, "Joel Britt"
> <joelbritt@wowway.com> Gave us:
>
>>My buddy just got a dual layer dvd burner for his home computer. He is
>>trying to tell me that he will be able to make copies of Xbox games. I
>>told
>>him there was no way. Don't Xbox games require some kind of special disc
>>that cannot be purchased or have some kind of special encoding or
>>something
>>that prevents them from being copied?
>>
>>I bet him $50 that he wouldn't be able to burn games. Am I going to lose
>>my
>>money?
>>
> Burning a copy isn't the problem. Using it is.
>
> The X-box only reads and runs games that are STAMPED.

Untrue. Mine reads burned games just fine.

That means that the inner hub on the disc, as well as
> other "features" can be STAMPED onto the disc that cannot be placed on
> a BURNED copy.

You're clueless.

> In other words, there is more to a stamped disc than merely the
> readable data stream on it.

Nuh-uh.

> The copied disc will be playable IF the user opens the X-box, and
> makes a certain hardware modification therein.

Wrong again, dipshit.

theone

TokaMundo wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:15:15 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
> Gave us:
>

>>Not to distract from your point, but you can technically make the
>>necessary modifications without needing to install hardware.
>

> Well, technically, the "mod" is not an installation, but a mere
> change of configuration...
>
> It isn't a hardware installation, it is the mere disabling of a
> chip pin, as in detaching it, from what I was told. I haven't looked
> it up on google yet, I was merely going by what I heard from an old
> fan of the X-box.
>
> I didn't mention "installing" anything as I recall though. I merely
> mentioned "changes".
>
> I buy all my games.
Guess again.

"The copied disc will be playable IF the user opens the X-box, and
makes a certain hardware modification therein."

All that is required is soft mod exploit or TSOP flash. No opening
required :)

You rock.

theone

Large Farva wrote:
> "TokaMundo" <TokaMundo@weedizgood.org> wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:11:09 -0400, "Joel Britt"
>><joelbritt@wowway.com> Gave us:
>>

>>>My buddy just got a dual layer dvd burner for his home computer. He is
>>>trying to tell me that he will be able to make copies of Xbox games. I
>>>told
>>>him there was no way. Don't Xbox games require some kind of special disc
>>>that cannot be purchased or have some kind of special encoding or
>>>something
>>>that prevents them from being copied?
>>>
>>>I bet him $50 that he wouldn't be able to burn games. Am I going to lose
>>>my
>>>money?
>>>

>> Burning a copy isn't the problem. Using it is.
>>
>> The X-box only reads and runs games that are STAMPED.
>

> Untrue. Mine reads burned games just fine.
>

> That means that the inner hub on the disc, as well as
>
>>other "features" can be STAMPED onto the disc that cannot be placed on
>>a BURNED copy.
>

> You're clueless.
>

>> In other words, there is more to a stamped disc than merely the
>>readable data stream on it.
>

> Nuh-uh.
>

>> The copied disc will be playable IF the user opens the X-box, and
>>makes a certain hardware modification therein.
>

> Wrong again, dipshit.

and the Bonehead of the Month Award goes too.....TELEMUNDO :)

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:47:59 GMT, "Large Farva" <none@nospam.com> Gave
us:

>Untrue. Mine reads burned games just fine.

Is your machine modified? My statement refers to an un-modified
X-box, and off the shelf titles.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:47:59 GMT, "Large Farva" <none@nospam.com> Gave
us:

>That means that the inner hub on the disc, as well as
>> other "features" can be STAMPED onto the disc that cannot be placed on
>> a BURNED copy.
>
>You're clueless.

No. You are, if you are not aware of the security features, etc.
which can be included on a stamped disc, that cannot be copied onto a
burned "copy" of said disc.

Any title you buy in a store is STAMPED. Tell us, oh all knowing
one... what title you buy at a store is burned media?

Answer: NONE.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:47:59 GMT, "Large Farva" <none@nospam.com> Gave
us:

>> In other words, there is more to a stamped disc than merely the
>> readable data stream on it.
>
>Nuh-uh.

You're the clueless one. Ever see the bar coded identifier on the
inner hub of the disc? Ever see it on a burned disc?

I rest my case.

TokaMundo wrote:

> Well, technically, the "mod" is not an installation, but a mere
> change of configuration...
>
> It isn't a hardware installation, it is the mere disabling of a
> chip pin, as in detaching it, from what I was told. I haven't looked
> it up on google yet, I was merely going by what I heard from an old
> fan of the X-box.

That doesn't match what I'm familiar with.

There are two types of mods, "hard" and "soft." Hard mods are the
installation of a board that will cause an alternate BIOS to be loaded
on startup.

Soft mods verlay the stock BIOS using software only -- you don't even
have to open the case. That's what I was referring two in mentioning
the hardware installation above.

> I didn't mention "installing" anything as I recall though. I merely
> mentioned "changes".

Chalk it up to my fault then. I had not heard of your speculation up to
this point, so I assumed you were referring to a mod chip.

> I buy all my games.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:47:59 GMT, "Large Farva" <none@nospam.com> Gave
us:

>> The copied disc will be playable IF the user opens the X-box, and
>> makes a certain hardware modification therein.
>
>Wrong again, dipshit.

What are the titles, know it all?

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:06:42 GMT, theOne <snoop@dodgeit.com> Gave us:

>TokaMundo wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:15:15 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
>> Gave us:

>All that is required is soft mod exploit or TSOP flash. No opening
>required :)

TSOP is the designation for the package design of the chip, dipshit.

It describes nothing about the circuit.

>You rock.

You do not.

TokaMundo wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:47:59 GMT, "Large Farva" <none@nospam.com> Gave
> us:
>

>>> In other words, there is more to a stamped disc than merely the
>>>readable data stream on it.
>>
>>Nuh-uh.
>

> You're the clueless one. Ever see the bar coded identifier on the
> inner hub of the disc? Ever see it on a burned disc?
>
> I rest my case.

Are you contending that a stock xbox reads the hub of those discs?

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:34:15 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
Gave us:

>TokaMundo wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:47:59 GMT, "Large Farva" <none@nospam.com> Gave
>> us:

>>>Nuh-uh.
>>

>> You're the clueless one. Ever see the bar coded identifier on the
>> inner hub of the disc? Ever see it on a burned disc?
>>
>> I rest my case.
>
>Are you contending that a stock xbox reads the hub of those discs?

Are you saying that a stock DVD reader cannot be instructed to do
so?

TokaMundo wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:34:15 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
> Gave us:
>

>>TokaMundo wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:47:59 GMT, "Large Farva" <none@nospam.com> Gave
>>>us:

>>> You're the clueless one. Ever see the bar coded identifier on the
>>>inner hub of the disc? Ever see it on a burned disc?
>>>
>>> I rest my case.
>>
>>Are you contending that a stock xbox reads the hub of those discs?
>

> Are you saying that a stock DVD reader cannot be instructed to do

Nope.

I'm just wanting to know if you think that an unmodified xbox is reading
the hub of an xbox game disc. A simple question that should yield a
simple answer.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:59:14 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
Gave us:

>TokaMundo wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:34:15 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
>> Gave us:

>>>Are you contending that a stock xbox reads the hub of those discs?
>>

>> Are you saying that a stock DVD reader cannot be instructed to do
>
>Nope.
>
>I'm just wanting to know if you think that an unmodified xbox is reading
>the hub of an xbox game disc. A simple question that should yield a
>simple answer.

You tell us. What does the software in a PC do to determine if say
"Sacred" has the original disc in place?

An X-box title?

If all that is on the disc is able to be copied, why then does the
medium get rejected? Answer: Because the medium is identified.

Granted, I didn't know that you guys were flashing memory chips, but
then again, I have never done it. I just know a little about the
security schemas in use, and had an old friend's statement in my brain
from a year ago.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:59:37 GMT, theOne <snoop@dodgeit.com> Gave us:

>Your original point was you need to open the xbox. I have illustrated to
>you; that isn't necessary! Why must you argue semantics? It adds no
>weight to your jibberish. You don't know anything about xbox modding but
>its cool man, everything will be O-K-A-Y.

I never said I did. In fact, I stated that it was only what a
friend had told me. You are NOT ok. At all.

TokaMundo wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:59:14 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
> Gave us:
>

>>TokaMundo wrote:
>>

>>>On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:34:15 GMT, Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com>
>>>Gave us:

>>> Are you saying that a stock DVD reader cannot be instructed to do
>>
>>Nope.
>>
>>I'm just wanting to know if you think that an unmodified xbox is reading
>>the hub of an xbox game disc. A simple question that should yield a
>>simple answer.
>

> You tell us.

It was a question about what *you* think. Although you have not (oddly)
explictly answered, I believe that your answer would be "yes."

> What does the software in a PC do to determine if say
> "Sacred" has the original disc in place?
>
> An X-box title?
>
> If all that is on the disc is able to be copied, why then does the
> medium get rejected? Answer: Because the medium is identified.

That makes sense -- thanks for the explanation, in spite of your hostility.

> Granted, I didn't know that you guys were flashing memory chips, but
> then again, I have never done it. I just know a little about the
> security schemas in use, and had an old friend's statement in my brain
> from a year ago.

theone

TokaMundo wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:59:37 GMT, theOne <snoop@dodgeit.com> Gave us:
>

>>Your original point was you need to open the xbox. I have illustrated to
>>you; that isn't necessary! Why must you argue semantics? It adds no
>>weight to your jibberish. You don't know anything about xbox modding but
>>its cool man, everything will be O-K-A-Y.
>

> I never said I did. In fact, I stated that it was only what a
> friend had told me. You are NOT ok. At all.

well you can go tell skeeter he's wrong, okay cooter?