Sign in with
Your question

The max power of the CPU is over 95w!

Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2012 4:54:03 AM

My buddy updated the BIOS on his mobo to try and fix some ATI video issues, now it won't get past a "The max power of the CPU is over 95w, prepare for shutdown!" screen after POST.

Everything worked before, after the BIOS update it seemed to have locked his processor out.

Processor - X4 9850 125W
Mobo - Biostar A740G M2+

Trying to boot into USB drive with AFUDOS to downgrade doesn't work, it still gives the max power error message and shuts down.

Is he screwed? Or is there any hope here?

More about : max power cpu 95w

a c 283 à CPUs
August 22, 2012 5:19:02 AM

Well, according to the supported CPU's list here http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_... that would make some sense.

Neither the 9850 nor ANY 125W CPU's are even supported by that board (and never were). I honestly have no idea how that CPU ever worked in that board to begin with.

I'm not really sure what you can do at this point, to be honest, because it was never supposed to work.

I suppose you can try to downgrade the BIOS, but I have my doubts that you can even safely do that, and that would leave you back where you started with the GPU issues (not like that really matters at this point, I suppose).

Edit: To sum it up, yeah, I suppose that he's screwed, lol. A new motherboard is basically his only option, at this point, and honestly, it's not even worth it. It's time to start completely over with newer hardware (CPU, mobo, etc.) if a new mobo is the only option.
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:12:51 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, according to the supported CPU's list here http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_... that would make some sense.

Neither the 9850 nor ANY 125W CPU's are even supported by that board (and never were). I honestly have no idea how that CPU ever worked in that board to begin with.

I'm not really sure what you can do at this point, to be honest, because it was never supposed to work.

I suppose you can try to downgrade the BIOS, but I have my doubts that you can even safely do that, and that would leave you back where you started with the GPU issues (not like that really matters at this point, I suppose).

Edit: To sum it up, yeah, I suppose that he's screwed, lol. A new motherboard is basically his only option, at this point, and honestly, it's not even worth it. It's time to start completely over with newer hardware (CPU, mobo, etc.) if a new mobo is the only option.

Yea, looking at the BIOS updates, it looks like they added a check for 95W vs 125W CPU's. It's crazy that they would do something like that. He doesn't want to get a whole new rig, can't really afford it right now unfortunately. I found a new mobo on Newegg for $58.

I know that it worked before, I've helped him with his comp before. I've downgraded a BIOS before with AFUDOS, so I know that it can work. I just can't get the damn thing to boot into either a USB or CD.
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
August 22, 2012 6:15:05 AM

Mutalator said:
Yea, looking at the BIOS updates, it looks like they added a check for 95W vs 125W CPU's. It's crazy that they would do something like that. He doesn't want to get a whole new rig, can't really afford it right now unfortunately. I found a new mobo on Newegg for $58.

I've downgraded a BIOS before with AFUDOS, so I know that it can work. I just can't get the damn thing to boot into either a USB or CD.

I'm just surprised that it ever worked... It shouldn't have.

Just make sure that the new board is compatible.
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:17:02 AM

Well apparently there is a workaround to get the computer to boot. Just bash F10 and gets past the message. WTF.

Seeing if I can downgrade now.
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:25:25 AM

Downgrade worked. System boots now.

Doing a little research on the issue, apparently Biostar updated the BIOS to only allow 95W CPUs because they were having a lot of problems with the 125W versions as far as heat and other failures.

I'll have to tell him to keep an eye on it. Might fail anyday now. He's had the PC for a couple years though, only time will tell.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 22, 2012 6:36:11 AM

Mutalator said:
Downgrade worked. System boots now.

Doing a little research on the issue, apparently Biostar updated the BIOS to only allow 95W CPUs because they were having a lot of problems with the 125W versions as far as heat and other failures.

I'll have to tell him to keep an eye on it. Might fail anyday now. He's had the PC for a couple years though, only time will tell.

Yeah, as long as it's back working now, I guess he's good to go, but like you said, he just needs to keep an eye on it.
m
l
August 22, 2012 10:40:36 AM

I imagine the power regulation circuitry was designed to do more than 95W at the time but just not reliable enough at 125W. If the option is there in the BIOS to underclock by a little then that is an option and if there is an option of a side fan to keep the cpu area cooler then maybe a good thing. He's probably not maxing out the cpu all the while anyhow.
m
l
!