Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HD 7970 and 2600K: Bottlenecking in Serious Sam 3?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2012 2:56:57 PM

System Specs:

Sapphire HD 7970 @ 1125/1575

i7 2600K @ 4.4 Ghz / 1.295v

Mushkin 8 GB Ram @ 2133 ( 10, 11, 10, 28, 1T) / 1.5v

Corsair M4 SSD

Gaming resolution: 1920x1080 @8xAA

I have had zero problems playing any game I can find on Ultra settings (Metro 2133, Skyrim, SW:ToR) until I loaded up SS3. Of course, the first thing I did was turn everything up to max, and while playing I was enjoying an awesome FPS average of 90+. The problem is when I am in an open environment with a lot of shrubbery (bushes, trees, grass) that my framerate will drop to around 30.

I feel like this shouldn't happen with this setup, and was wondering if my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU? Will an overclock to 4.6 or 4.8 prevent this from happening? Am I being to much of a gfx whore and maybe I should turn down AA?

Thanks for the help!

More about : 7970 2600k bottlenecking sam

March 2, 2012 3:35:43 PM

if your cpu usage isnt at 100% during these situations, then youre not getting a bottleneck.

you also have to consider that drivers are still new.
Score
March 2, 2012 3:38:28 PM

If you had a CPU bottleneck, that game would be unplayable for most people. It's likely that game has a bad graphic optimization, and some of those settings you cranked up may be rather intensive.
Score
Related resources
March 2, 2012 7:05:53 PM

guavasauce said:
if your cpu usage isnt at 100% during these situations, then youre not getting a bottleneck.

you also have to consider that drivers are still new.

It is much much more complicated than that. Microprocessors are discrete devices, either they're on and they're executing or they're off and they're not executing. When a CPU is 'idle' it simply loops through a time wasting system idle loop. CPU usage is measured by the OS by comparing how much of the CPU time is allocated to processes that aren't the system idle process. What it does not do is quantify idle time spent inside of another process. Ergo it's possible for a process to visually appear to be taking up 50-75% of available CPU time yet still be running idle internally (basically just wasting time due to poor coding). It's entirely possible to have a situation in which 5-10% CPU usage bottlenecks performance and a situation where 85-90% usage doesn't bottleneck performance
Score

Best solution

March 2, 2012 7:08:49 PM

in open environments the Multisampling setting kills your GPU. Alot of grass and small stuff. I get this issue in World of Warcraft in some areas. I have a GTX 460 1 Gb (witch is overkill for WoW) but in some areas with alot of vegetation i get as low as 20 - 25 FPS. I have the 2600k aswell. Setting Multisampling lower fixes everything...
March 4, 2012 10:11:10 PM

Best answer selected by kairotic.
Score
!