Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 or Xeon?

Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2012 7:03:09 AM

I am looking to upgrade my processor to either an i5 3570k or an xeon 1230 V2 Ivy Bridge processor. I do a lot of gaming, video editing, and video compression so I was thinking the xeon might be better because it has hyper-threading. I am kind of locked to this price range so an i7 isn't an option. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

More about : xeon

August 22, 2012 7:12:01 AM

i5 3570k with a CM Hyper 212 Evo.
m
l

Best solution

August 22, 2012 7:13:05 AM

The i5 will be better for gaming, and the xeon will be better for video editing. So you now have a problem. All i can really suggest is if you are going to be doing more gaming than video editing, go with the i5. if you are going to be doing more video editing than gaming, go with the xeon
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 22, 2012 7:49:06 AM

Best answer selected by Djartifact.
m
l
August 22, 2012 7:50:48 AM

wonder44 said:
The i5 will be better for gaming, and the xeon will be better for video editing. So you now have a problem. All i can really suggest is if you are going to be doing more gaming than video editing, go with the i5. if you are going to be doing more video editing than gaming, go with the xeon

Thanks looks like I will be going with the Xeon. Will it outperform my AMD phenom ii 960t in gaming?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 8:03:18 AM

Yeah it will outperform the Phenom, the architecture is far quicker and it's 300mhz faster than the 960t. To be honest the xeons aren't much different than their core counterparts. The only thing different is that the xeons have dual CPU support (with LGA2011 ones). The reason why the i5 may be better for gaming is that it can be overclocked unlike the xeon, making sure that the GPU can get fed as much data as possible (although at stock the i5 doesn't get anywhere close to bottlenecking a fast GPU)
m
l
!