169 IP on Vista

jared_l

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Have a Vista computer here with a networking issue. The issue resides in both wired networking and wireless.

HP DV6000 Laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium w/SP2 32-Bit

ipconfig gives me the 169 IP address. LAN + Wireless says connected to unidentified network, local only. I don't even have local access, not sure where that message comes from.

I have tried:

IPv4 settings: automatic or manual
Disable IPv6
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset
netsh int ip install
Manual removal of TCP (Registry)
Reinstall network driver(s)
sfc /scannow
Microsoft troubleshooter says it's an issue that cannot be resolved automatically.

Windows Update gives me a strange error message, other than the obvious internet connection error: 8024402C. Can't even find it on Google.

Anyone have any idea? It's not a problem with my home network, other computers work fine.

Thank you!

Actually it could be a problem with your home network. If you are the administrator of your network, log into the router and check to ensure that MAC address filtering has not been turned on for some reason. If it is, turn it off. MAC addresses can be easily spoofed and therefore really don't do anything to help protect your wireless network from unauthorized access. All you really need is to encrypt it using WPA2, and a solid password of at least 8 characters. If you're really paranoid, you can also turn off the SSID broadcast.

Just to be clear, and to add to what The_Prophecy already said, a 169.x.x.x address means Windows did not get an IP address assigned to it from your router. It could be mac filtering, or the LAN settings could be such that all the IP addresses are already assigned.