CPU Hotter while using intel graphics?

Pjak

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
Hey Guys,

I have an i7 3770k and im currently awaiting my Asus GTX 680, so for the time being i have been using the intel graphics HD 4000. My temps on idle are around 25-30 degrees using the H100 and i was wandering will these drop once i get my GPU. Like does using the graphics card on the cpu make it hotter? Also is 25-30 degrees normal?

Thanks

Solution

Here at Tom's Hardware we obey the laws of thermodynamics. So, unless you're using some exotic vapor compression or TEC based cooling your CPU will always be warmer than the environment. How much warmer is dependent on the environment, the electrical load of the CPU over time and the thermal path between the heat generating components and the air.

Ergo, 25-30 degrees idle is not only...

Here at Tom's Hardware we obey the laws of thermodynamics. So, unless you're using some exotic vapor compression or TEC based cooling your CPU will always be warmer than the environment. How much warmer is dependent on the environment, the electrical load of the CPU over time and the thermal path between the heat generating components and the air.

Ergo, 25-30 degrees idle is not only normal, it's pretty damn good for normal and about what I get from my H100.

To answer your question, yes the IGP does add to the heat output of the CPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS