Sign in with
Your question

Graphic artifacts and freezing during games/videos

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2012 5:13:46 PM

Hello, I've had this problem for a long time and I'm not sure what's causing it. If I play a game with 3D graphics eventually the display will distort and go crazy (artifacts?). The display freezes but sound continues to play in the background and the computer will keep running.

If using windows 7 it will happen almost immediately during games or watching videos but on XP it will freeze up 3 or 4 times before eventually losing video signal. On XP I get an error message saying "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands".

However, I can run programs like FurMark and other gpu stress testers without any problems so I'm not sure if it's the graphics card. I can still play certain games without this happening but usually any games with 3D graphics will freeze up very quickly.

Any help would be appreciated as it has never really worked properly but I don't want to buy a new card that does the same thing. I have tried different PSU's/RAM modules.

XFX Radeon HD4850 1GB
Phenom X4 955 black edition
Asus m4a78t-e
Antec 850w
G.Skill Ripjaw 8gb

March 2, 2012 5:19:33 PM

Have you checked your temperatures? And have you ever cleaned out the GPU heat sink? That 4850 has probably been in the system for a while, and if you've never done it before then I would suggest removing the shroud and cleaning out the heat sink.

Otherwise you can try reducing the memory and core clocks a little (5-10mhz).
m
l
March 2, 2012 5:23:03 PM

On FurMark it didn't go much above 65 after about half an hour but I don't think it's a dust problem as it has done this since it was new, but I'll try it anyway and reducing speeds, thanks any other suggestions welcome
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2012 5:57:21 PM

It's a common problem with ATI and Nvidia cards. Try reloading Windows fresh and then install the latest driver from AMD.com
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:18:50 PM

I tried underclocking the card and that didn't work so I reinstalled windows and AMD sent me a link to a pre-certified driver, as I have tried most of the others and it still hasn't fixed the problem so I think I'm gonna get a new card, as it works fine using the integrated graphics.

Any suggestions for a new card? Looking at the 6870 or a bit better but thinking I might not go with ATI this time.
m
l
March 4, 2012 1:32:17 PM

It's not the card, I had the same issue with a HD4850, a 9800GTX and I've had it several times with my HD5850, but I haven't had the issue in about a year.

Have to tried any troubleshooting? http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116Rad...

Getting a new card may temp fix the problem but you'll likely see it again.

There are entire forums dedicated to this issue since back to 2008, this is just one example.

http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-s...

m
l
March 8, 2012 1:33:31 AM

I have a fairly new 5570 not overclocked win 7 and only see it on certain games particularly Fable. I see it even when the temp is moderate.
Dave
m
l
!