BSOD after startup

goinsane

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Hi. I've just built my first computer, and for the first couple of days Windows 7 has ran fine. However today, I have started to get a BSOD every time I turn the computer on. It usually happens 5 minutes after I turn it on.

Every time it happens I hear a small spinning noise, which I think is from the HDD but to be honest I have no idea. When this happens though it's usually after a couple seconds of Windows freezing and then I get a BSOD which lasts for a second and then the computer reboots, so I cant really read what the BSOD says. All I can make out is that it says 'An error has been detected'

One of the times i booted up windows forced a disk error check on boot up, which is why I think that noise came from the HDD.

Any help is much appreciated.

(And sorry if this is the wrong forum)

goinsane

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, usually get on for around 5 minutes. I'll do that now.

goinsane

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Ok, at the top it says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Then at the bottom under technical information it says

*** STOP: 0x0000001A (0x00000000000041790, 0xFFFFFA800307E5A0, 0x000000000000FFF, 0x0000000000000000)

To rule out memory issues, i would run Memtest86+

I have found many crashes come down to bad memory.

http://www.memtest.org/

You should burn the ISO to a CD on another computer(it has to be burned as an image not just the iso file to a cd).

Once that is done, reboot with the cd in, it should run it self(if not you need to set the boot order in the bios). Let it test overnight if you can.

goinsane

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

I've ran i for 9 minutes now and I already have 0 pass and 375,000 errors

That ram has no special voltage needs, so if you have some bad sticks(generally just one will be bad).

Some boards are more picky then other about memory then others, but with that many errors, it is most certainly just a bad stick(I have had that too, just not with g-skill).

You can RMA it with ebuyer.com

Good luck on your exam.

goinsane

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Ok thanks. Is there any reason it worked for a couple of days then? There didn't originally seem to be a problem.

Gh0s7y

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Electronics are...electronics, sometimes they break without a reason, even if it worked fine for some days. But I think it's just a manufacturing error, maybe it just escalated now...

goinsane

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I've had someone else tell me it could be the motherboard too. Is there anyway to check for sure which one it is? I don't have another motherboard I can test with unfortunately.

Tuilalcaron

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
With memtest returning that many errors that quickly its definitely your RAM.

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago, just simply put one stick in at a time and power on, run memtest, if it shows any errors then its faulty, if no errors then its fine and try a different stick of RAM.

And with it being so new you will have no probs getting an RMA for it :)

I have run across having ram that worked for a short while then starts to error. It is just bad luck.

With the sticks tested on at a time, you can determine if just one stick is bad.

In rare cases, a motherboard will have a bad memory slot, but in those cases, just using another slot fixes the issue.

If only 1 stick is bad and the other works in the same slot, chances are its just the memory. That is quite a pile of errors.

We have all been there. :( And that ram was rated for i think 1333 7,7,7,24 or something
badram.jpg