Sign in with
Your question

How do you convert a pci slot to pci express

Last response: in Components
August 22, 2012 12:21:20 PM

I have an older P478 MOBO with 5 PCI slots. I want to use a PCI slot for a PCI Express Device. Has anyone done it?
August 22, 2012 12:40:24 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I'm personally thinking it isn't possible. I'm going to direct you to these wiki articles on PCI and PCIe - explains the differences and even shows the pinouts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIE
One major obstacle I foresee is getting a card to fit in a case slot after crosswiring a bridge. After I compare pinouts, that's minor.
August 22, 2012 12:45:58 PM

U DONT
Related resources
August 22, 2012 12:46:22 PM

Even if you could the bandwidth would be terrible!
August 22, 2012 12:48:43 PM

You replace the motherboard with one that has PCI Express.
August 22, 2012 12:49:30 PM

It is not possible to do so.

While it is possible to create a logical interface between PCI and PCIe it is not possible for a user to create one and modify a motherboard to support it. Additionally, Drivers would not support it.
August 22, 2012 12:51:25 PM

And so you guys know ... somewhere ... out there ... there is an enterprising EE with entirely too much spare time who is going to make one of these. You know it...
August 22, 2012 12:56:22 PM

palladin9479 said:
And so you guys know ... somewhere ... out there ... there is an enterprising EE with entirely too much spare time who is going to make one of these. You know it...

I'm actually tempted to do this. My FPGA dev board has enough LVDS pairs for a couple of PCIe links, supports 3.3 volt signalling, and has boatloads of GPIO for the PCI.

Challenge accepted
August 22, 2012 2:51:13 PM

Well, lets put aside the voltage/timing requirements, the bandwidth would be so bad, the PCI-E device would probably be virtually unusable.
August 22, 2012 3:47:51 PM

Why would you want to do this? You can't mod the actual slot however an adapter card could work if the device you want to use has a low profile bracket.
August 22, 2012 3:48:06 PM

graemevermeulen said:
Why would you want to do this? You can't mod the actual slot however an adapter card could work if the device you want to use has a low profile bracket.

Probably for a graphics card or something. All graphics cards have been speaking PCIe since it was introduced in 2004. Any card made for AGP/PCI uses a bridge chip which speaks PCIe on one end and AGP/PCI on the other
August 22, 2012 4:09:18 PM

graemevermeulen said:

You haven't known many EE's have you? The sheer nerd cred from doing this is enough of a reason in and of itself.
January 19, 2014 5:51:37 AM

Pinhedd said:
palladin9479 said:

I'm actually tempted to do this. My FPGA dev board has enough LVDS pairs for a couple of PCIe links, supports 3.3 volt signalling, and has boatloads of GPIO for the PCI.

Challenge accepted

I just made an account to ask you Pinhedd for info about your pci to pcie project???????????????????

January 19, 2014 7:08:56 AM

come on pinhedd reply plz
!