How to replace graphics card?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2012 6:39:57 PM

Hi. I want to replace my graphics card but my motherboard doesnt have an integrated graphics card that i can temporarily hook up my monitor too. If i uninstall the previous driver, will my monitor stop working? Should i replace the graphics card first before i uninstall the previous driver? Im not sure what to do. A step by step process by someone whos done this would be nice.

thanks! :D 

More about : replace graphics card

a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 6:49:04 PM

What motherboard. What video card? What power supply?
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2012 6:52:01 PM

you dont need integrated or temporary card--uninstall the previous driver

turn off the pc

take out old card

put in new card

turn on pc

you will still get a picture without the driver--though the resolution may be low

install new driver
Score
Related resources
a c 303 U Graphics card
a c 84 C Monitor
March 2, 2012 6:57:42 PM

computernewb said:
Hi. I want to replace my graphics card but my motherboard doesnt have an integrated graphics card that i can temporarily hook up my monitor too. If i uninstall the previous driver, will my monitor stop working? Should i replace the graphics card first before i uninstall the previous driver? Im not sure what to do. A step by step process by someone whos done this would be nice.

thanks! :D 

Graphics cards and adapters have a basic mode that works at low resolution without any drivers.

If your new card is the same origin(Nvidia or Amd) then you should work right away, since the driver will be the same.
Just pull the old, and replace with the new.

If your new card differs, you should(but don't need to) uninstall the old driver first.
Download the new driver and save it somewhere you can find it easily on a low res screen.
Pull the old card, install the new.
Then you can install the new driver.
Score
March 2, 2012 6:57:46 PM

In all likely hood what ever new graphics card you get will work with very basic functionality without any drivers installed. I'm pretty sure this has been true for a number of years. The best way is to download Driver Sweeper from here:

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Then boot into safe mode and run the program. Have it remove your current graphics drivers then shut down.

Remove the old card and install the new card.

Reboot (windows will start probable in 600x800 res and look horrible but that is to be expected)

Install the required drivers and reboot.

Your desktop should be back to what ever resolution your monitor supports and all should be good.

This is the best way to avoid any problems.
Score
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 2, 2012 7:06:41 PM

GPUs work with default drivers. Uninstall your current driver, shut down, remove it, put the new one in, reboot, and install its drivers.
Score
March 2, 2012 7:13:30 PM

ok thanks guys
Score

Best solution

a c 249 U Graphics card
a c 85 C Monitor
March 2, 2012 7:49:07 PM

computernewb said:
so i should put in new graphics card before i uninstall the previous driver? Also does it matter than im switching from a Radeon to Nvidia? Wont these 2 drivers cause problems if they are installed at the same time?0

No.

1. Download latest GFX Driver
2. Uninstall old GFX driver.
Optional - Reboot and run reg cleaner (ccleaner, driversweeper) to remove any driver remnants
3. Shut Down PC
4. Install GFX card
5. Boot to Windows .... just say no if it wants to install anything
6. Locate downloaded driver and install
7. Reboot

If ya have an issue, repeat w/ the option.

I recommend removing the drivers if using different family (i.e AMD vs vVidia)....wise to remove and reinstall even within same family. The drivers of same family cards are NOT the same .... the driver install program is the same.....what the install program does depends somewhat on what hardware it detects.

In Windows 7, ya can have side by side installation of AMD and nVidia drivers.
March 2, 2012 8:08:37 PM

Best answer selected by computernewb.
Score
!