Solved

How can I tell if a cpu is IvyBridge or Sandy Bridge?

The tittle says it all. I want to know how to tell the difference between the Ivybridge or sandybridge and if there is a big difference?
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ivybridge sandy bridge
  1. Run a utility called CPU-Z.
  2. Well I will be buying one soon so I don't have it yet so is there a way to tell without that program?
  3. I misunderstood.

    if you are building a system, you will order whichever part you choose. If you are buying an assembled system, the system specs will tell you.

    Either way, when you get the system home, run CPU-Z just to make sure you received what you paid for.
  4. If using Windows 7, just run the Device Manager or System info app from control panel.

    As for the difference, IB is about 5% faster on average than SB at the same clock frequency although for some things like encoding it can be much faster as it uses QuickSync 2 vs. the original QuickSync (1.0). Plus its onboard iGPU is about 60% faster as well, it uses PCIe 3.0 and USB 3.0 natively, etc.
  5. Find the processor here http://ark.intel.com/ and check to see if is 32nm or 22nm. If it is 22nm it is a 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processor. If it is 32nm it is going to be a 1st or 2nd generation Intel Core processor.
  6. Desktop Ivy bridges have model numbers with 32 for i3, 33-35 for i5 or 37 for i7, not to get confused with Sandy Bridge-E that have 39 and 38 at the beginning at their model numbers.

    Desktop Sandy Bridges have 21 at the beginning of model number for i3, 23-25 for i5, 26-39 for i7 and Extreme edition i7 has a 39 at the beginning (only one).
  7. IntelEnthusiast said:
    Find the processor here http://ark.intel.com/ and check to see if is 32nm or 22nm. If it is 22nm it is a 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processor. If it is 32nm it is going to be a 1st or 2nd generation Intel Core processor.


    So if its 22 its a ivy bridge and if its a 32 its going to be a sandy bridge?
  8. Yes 22nm = Ivy bridge and 32nm = Sandy bridge.
  9. Best answer
    pckid said:
    So if its 22 its a ivy bridge and if its a 32 its going to be a sandy bridge?


    Yes, but it's even easier than that. All 2xxx CPU's are Sandy Bridge, and all 3xxx CPU's but the 38xx and 39xx CPU's are Ivy. The 38xx and 39xx CPU are Sandy Bridge Extreme, but they're on LGA 2011 and something that you don't even need to think about.
  10. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Yes, but it's even easier than that. All 2xxx CPU's are Sandy Bridge, and all 3xxx CPU's but the 38xx and 39xx CPU's are Ivy. The 38xx and 39xx CPU are Sandy Bridge Extreme, but they're on LGA 2011 and something that you don't even need to think about.

    so your telling me that this: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-2700K-Quad-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B005X64OA8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345655046&sr=1-3&keywords=intel+core+i7 is a sandy right?
  11. Alright thanks again :D I think i got it down
  12. Best answer selected by pckid.
  13. You're welcome. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge