Home network equipment questions

tomterrific

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Hello all, first time poster (frequent reader). I'm moving to a new home which was recently renovated, and the contractor ran Cat5e cable to all the important rooms (bedrooms, family room, etc.) from the basement/garage where the cable/phone service comes in, which means (correct me if I'm wrong...) all I need to do is re-do the jacks from phone jacks to ethernet jacks at the room ends for an instant home ethernet network since I don't actually need phone lines...

I have some questions though. Here's an outline of what I have in mind (roughly):

Network.jpg

The red lines signify wall jacks in each room where the wire run from the basement terminates. The modem is a motorola surfboard (I have cable internet). We have VOIP phone service from the cable company, so the phone base station will connect directly to the modem. There's home run coax running to every room along with the cat5e, so that'll go into the modem (and cable box in each room). The wireless router will be located in a central room that should cover most of the house (most likely an ASUS Black Diamond RT-N56U). The "TV" connection is for the new internet enabled TVs that can stream netflix pandora, etc. and have an ethernet port in the rear.

Questions:
1. What equipment do I put at A, B, and C for the best performance? My initial hunch based on research is Switch (8 or 12 port for expandibility when we expand the house), Router (doubles as a switch for that room), Switch (4 port should be enough for any room). The wireless router will serve as a switch for that location if needed. Is that correct?
2. The router installed as Equipment B will also serve as a hardware firewall to any device accessing the internet via the wired network, right?
3. Any suggested hardware for my purposes?
4. Equipment C will be replicated in rooms 4 and 5 if needed (i.e. multiple devices)
5. I should be able to plug a network capable printer with an ethernet port into a switch/router at any location in the house and be able to access it from any computer (either via a switch/router in another room or by wi-fi)?

Thanks!

A) 8 port switch

B) router (WAN port connecting to the Modem, and one of the LAN ports connecting to the wall outlet)

C) 5 or 8 port switch

you could still add another wireless router at location 3 just configure it as an Access Point

2. Yes

3. Main Router Linksys E2000 wireless turned off, Access Point Asus RT-N56U, Netgear FS105 and FS108

4. Yes

5. Yes

tomterrific

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
So, A = Switch, B = Wireless Router with wireless on or off (the E2000), C = Switch (smaller), and Wireless access at location 3 (the RT-N56U) set to WAP instead of router, thus making it a 3 port switch (one being used to connect to the wall) with wireless access?

Any reason not to use gigabit switches? (GS 105/108 instead of FS 105/108) I don't really need the phone line, so I could use all 4 pairs in the cat5e for network usage... I know the benefit would only be for accessing/sharing/streaming files across my network.

tomterrific

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
One last question - any reason to use a wireless router as the gateway (is that the right term?) as opposed to wired only router? Or is it just that there's barely any price difference so may as well get the wi-fi option thrown in "free"? Thanks so much for your help!

tomterrific

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Is there any benefit to using something like a DGL-4100 instead of the E2000? The wireless in that location is unimportant to me. If there's any difference in performance, then sacrificing the wireless would be worth it...

tomterrific

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Additionally, what's the practical difference between the Netgear GS switches, and the D-Link DGS equivalent (e.g. GS105 vs. DGS-1005G). The Netgears right now would cost 5 dollars more than the D-Links (after netgear rebates).

TRENDING THREADS