Llano CPU giving inaccurate temps

MapleBar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I have an AMD A8-3870k and in the bios it reaches about 51° C which is to be expected considering Im using shitty thermal paste.

However temperature monitoring programs like Everest, CoreTemp and the OC software that came with the mobo give me obscenely low temperature readings of between 2° and 6°

I thought it was my motherboard or something but my friend has nearly the exact same build (save for a different mobo) and his does the same thing, gives normal readings in the bios and impossibly low temps with monitoring programs

I have a Biostar TA75M motherboard and he has an Asus F1A55-M/CSM

Any help is appreciated

Solution
So I've been looking around the net and it seems to be that most of these Llano APUs seem to have an issue with idle temps. One person reported that using the mobo's OC program he was able to get accurate temps if he used it first before any other programs on a boot, but even then it was 50/50. It looks like there is a flaw where if it's under a temp threshold the readings will just default to 0-15c. But once the magic temp is hit your readings are accurate. So unless there is a bios update for the mobo you're using to fix this issue you'll be living without idle temps. A bit of a pain, but at least your load temps are working fine (and quite good).

MapleBar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
huh...

HWMonitor gives me seemingly accurate temps

28-30° idle

EDIT:

I checked further down and its still being weird

I ran a stress test and it the cpu temps peaked around 51° (same as in the bios) but there were some other temps that I don't know about

thrm, tmpin0 and tmpin1 all peaked at about 60°

As soon as I stopped the stress test, CPU temps dropped back down to like 5°

this is the pastebin for the HWMonitor readout

http://pastebin.com/kzfz0Q8A

MapleBar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, tried Core Temp

its giving me the same thing, at idle or just using chrome or something. its giving me temps below 10°

If I run a stress test, it gets up to the low 50's

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
So I've been looking around the net and it seems to be that most of these Llano APUs seem to have an issue with idle temps. One person reported that using the mobo's OC program he was able to get accurate temps if he used it first before any other programs on a boot, but even then it was 50/50. It looks like there is a flaw where if it's under a temp threshold the readings will just default to 0-15c. But once the magic temp is hit your readings are accurate. So unless there is a bios update for the mobo you're using to fix this issue you'll be living without idle temps. A bit of a pain, but at least your load temps are working fine (and quite good).

Solution

MapleBar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
thats sort of what I had figured, I just thought it was weird that two systems with different mobos would have the same issue.

And I was worried my CPU was sitting back there frying and I wouldn't know about it.

When I got all the parts, I installed everything fine and come to find out I had a defective motherboard. Newegg RMA'd it asap with no problem but I had to clean off the OEM paste and reapply new paste when I put the CPU back in the new mobo and all I had was some Dynex stuff so I was worried that I might have heating issues.

And imagine my surprise when I check my temps with everest and it says 4°.

But I haven't had any issues. All my games run fine, and I put the CPU fan to run at max all the time just to be safe. My friend has an issue with emulators sometimes crashing but that might just be the inherent instability of some of them.

Thanks for the help.