Crossfire attempt kills wireless card

Brngths

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hello,

My computer was running 1 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 graphics card. I bought a second one, with crossfire cable. I installed the second one, and booted up, no problems. I get to Win7, it recognizes the card, even CCC knows the card is there (says its a "disabled adaptor").

I looked online, and people said to go fix up BIOS such that the PCIE slot is running at 4x instead of 2x. Did that, and I turn on the computer, CCC now has it enabled, and tells me that Crossfire is turned on. Awesome, but now my Wireless Adaptor is not working (some DLink Model, good quality from what I can tell). In fact, Win7 doesn't even see my wireless card existing, after checking device manager.

I should say my MOBO is an ASUS P8Z68-V LE, if that makes any difference. I couldn't find anyone having this sort of trouble, so I came here to seek some help. Thanks!

-Bryan G.

Brngths

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I should probably say that I know my driver is perfectly up to date for CCC and the DLink adaptor. I updated all my drivers before installing the new card. I also know the new card works, since I can run games (offline ones) perfectly, and with more FPS than before, so no hardware issues with the new part. I checked, and I did not disturb how the wireless card is seated, there is also a light on the wireless card which is flashing (it's a green light)

G

Your losing a lot of performance running crossfire on your motherboard (x16/x4). What model is your wireless card? .

Brngths

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
The model number is DWA556, forgot I still have the box. The box label is "Extreme N Desktop PCI Express Adaptor".

If it is a problem of the video cards taking up too much bandwidth for the wireless card to function, is there any way of fixing this? Or perhaps a different solution to my initial problem which could leave the 2nd graphics card at 2x bandwidth speed?

Lastly, I have a 750W power supply, I highly doubt it's a power problem, incase anyone was thinking it.

G

What power supply do you have?.

If I understand your problem correctly you can only run crossfire in x16/x2? And your wireless card won't be recognized as well. Try updating your bios to the latest version.

Brngths

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
The power supply is a Corsair TW750.

My BIOS gives me two options. 1) x16/x2 mode, where crossfire doesnt work, and wireless does. 2) x16/x4, where crossfire works, and wireless doesnt.

I just tried switching back from x4 to x2 mode so that the wireless card would work. upon restarting the computer, it would blue screen. i let it restart itself a few times before determining that it would continue to do so forever.

I also tried plugging an ethernet cable into the computer with x4 mode, and it gets internet that way. However, when playing Skyrim, for example, it is actually getting worse graphics rates than with just one card. There was only choppiness before when I was fighting lots of people at once, now it's every few seconds, i hit a choppy screen fit.