Sign in with
Your question

Very slow 3770k 3.90 + GTX580

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2012 3:38:24 PM

Hi All,
Thank you for these forums.
I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I have just made the upgrade to the following:

PSU : Corsair 850w Enthusiast Series
Mainboard : Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3
CPU : Core i7 3770K @ 3.90Ghz
RAM : 16gb @ 1600Mhz
HDD : SSD 128Gb + 500Gb Regular drive
Optical : Pioneer BD-R / RW
GPU : GTX 580 1.5gb

The problem is, I am getting very low benchmark scores on everything I try. My system is scoring lower than most comparison systems in each benchmarking utility.

PCMark07 is giving me far less than somebody with nearly identical specs (they had less RAM)
SisSoft Sandra is giving me 1009 as an overall combined score
Passmark is giving me around 3800 (My laptop scores over 4000 and it uses only integrated graphics and a much lower CPU)

I have tried everything I know, including :
Latest drivers for everything
Enabling and disabling Virtu MVP
Checked for Direct X updates
Updated windows fully

I am at a real loss here and I am hoping you guys might be able to point out what might be wrong.
Any info you need I can provide as soon as possible.
Your help on this would be extremely well appreciated.

Thank you for anything you can suggest.

-Miyuki

More about : slow 3770k gtx580

a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 6:27:12 PM

Is your BIOS up to date?

Are all overclocks tested for stability?

How are your temps?
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 7:11:05 PM

Good ideas above.

I would check your bios to ensure the SSD is in ACHI mode.

What does your processor usage look like? (any programs with an unusually large draw?)

Have you checked your power options to be certain you arent set on "power saving" or something like that?
Related resources
August 22, 2012 7:59:53 PM

Hi and thank you both for the replies.
The bios version I am using is F8 which is the latest for the g1 sniper.
The SSD is definately in ACHI mode but there are other settings which are not explained , like xHCI (or similar) which are all set to "auto". Somehow, when building the machine, I put the SSD on the 2nd SATA III port and the regular HDD on the 1st SATA III port. Although I am booting from the SSD.
Windows power options are set to High performance. Nothing really has large draw. Firefox is using 166mb, other than that, CPU usage is 0 - 5 on and off on different processes (no more than usual).

-Miyuki.
a c 105 à CPUs
August 22, 2012 8:02:35 PM

Have you tried scanning for malware and viruses and ****, use Malwarebytes to scan for malware and scan with your Antivirus for viruses.
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 8:10:03 PM

Have you checked the power plan? Power saver cuts your CPU clockspeed dramatically
a c 105 à CPUs
August 22, 2012 8:11:54 PM

What are your temps (high temps make the CPU throttle (slow down) to try and cool down)?
!